How are Democrats pro-abortion but anti-school voucher?

You've got that right! Emphasize the word MINIMUM. Education in America lags virtually every other industrialized nation and yet we spend much, much more. If our Public educational system is going to fail so miserably, why do we have to pay so much for it?

lets examine. Why do you suppose that "we pay more for education" than many social democracies. The answer of course lies with how labor "compensation" is measured. Teachers receive a pension and health benefits, which are called "compensation" here.

But in most European countries the teachers and administrators receive these benefits simply for being citizens of the country, so it is not called compensation for employment and measured as education expenditures. So in this case the numbers lie.

There is some truth to that, but unfortunately Americans still spend significantly more per student than all industrialized nations. Furthermore, the real cost of Public Education is even higher than what is published. Here's documentation on that:

They Spend WHAT? The Real Cost of Public Schools | Adam B. Schaeffer | Cato Institute: Policy Analysis

But even if the spending levels were the same with all things being equal, one would expect American students to at least perform as well as other countries and they don't. So not only are we paying more for education, our kids are not being educated adequately.

The problem with cross-country education spending analysis is that we spend significantly more than other countries on students with developmental disabilities. If you look at spending on typical students, it's pretty similar to slightly lower.

lets examine. Why do you suppose that "we pay more for education" than many social democracies. The answer of course lies with how labor "compensation" is measured. Teachers receive a pension and health benefits, which are called "compensation" here.

But in most European countries the teachers and administrators receive these benefits simply for being citizens of the country, so it is not called compensation for employment and measured as education expenditures. So in this case the numbers lie.

There is some truth to that, but unfortunately Americans still spend significantly more per student than all industrialized nations. Furthermore, the real cost of Public Education is even higher than what is published. Here's documentation on that:

They Spend WHAT? The Real Cost of Public Schools | Adam B. Schaeffer | Cato Institute: Policy Analysis

But even if the spending levels were the same with all things being equal, one would expect American students to at least perform as well as other countries and they don't. So not only are we paying more for education, our kids are not being educated adequately.

The problem with cross-country education spending analysis is that we spend significantly more than other countries on students with developmental disabilities. If you look at spending on typical students, it's pretty similar to slightly lower.

We rank third behind Switzerland and Austria, even excepting the amount of "compensation" we provide that is gratis in social democracies AND the ridiculous amount we waste on athletics and other crap

Spending per secondary school student statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Make the Public schools work

Good luck with that.

And it's worse for my family. Not only do we have to pay for Public Education, but we also pay for Private Education because Public Education where we live sucks. Talk about getting ripped off.

are we really soooo stupid in this nation that we can not figure it out?

I suppose i prefer to think otherwise...

I had an excellent Public education....everyone in my town here in Maine has a good public school system to go to.....everyone with a child in my last town in Massachusetts that i lived in, had an excellent public school educational system....number 1 in the county i lived in, and near number 1 in the Nation....

Why is it that some towns can accomplish such, while others, like yours, can not?

Maybe, those places with horrible public schools can 'take a lesson' from those towns that DO have an excellent public educational school system....so they can become better?

Good luck with that.

And it's worse for my family. Not only do we have to pay for Public Education, but we also pay for Private Education because Public Education where we live sucks. Talk about getting ripped off.

I had an excellent Public education....everyone in my town here in Maine has a good public school system to go to.....everyone with a child in my last town in Massachusetts that i lived in, had an excellent public school educational system....number 1 in the county i lived in, and near number 1 in the Nation....

Why is it that some towns can accomplish such, while others, like yours, can not?

Maybe, those places with horrible public schools can 'take a lesson' from those towns that DO have an excellent public educational school system....so they can become better?

well, schools have school boards. in some places, the school boards are made up of ignorant, political, superstitious boors, who don't care that their children won't be competitive in the world

tax break if you send your kid to a private school? It wont get you out of paying town and state taxes, but i dont see a reason why not to if you dont send your kid to public.
Rube Goldberg for those who have kids and prefer sending them to private schools, and no use to the childless.

Here's a novel idea: You want a product or service, you pay for it.

yeah no, You just want to get out of paying taxes all together. Give a tax break to the childless or private and be done with it.
That's soooo untrue.

I'm all for paying fuel taxes for the roads I use...I'm all for paying user fees for baseball leagues at local parks where I've played.

But I'm totally against fleecing the childless to pay benefits for those who choose to bring children into the world.

I'll thank you to cease mischaracterizing my position on this particular matter.

Dude, you do know a school voucher would involve giving those parents "their own dime" back to them to do just that, pay it on their own time.

An education voucher is generally a public subsidy to buy from a private organization a good whose acquisition is compulsory.

I'm glad you can see this a concept that's viewed much more favorably by the right than the left. On that you're correct.
Gubmint schools are already a giant middle class welfare program.

The argument that said welfare subsidy going into the "wrong hands" is specious on its face.

Last edited:
tax break if you send your kid to a private school? It wont get you out of paying town and state taxes, but i dont see a reason why not to if you dont send your kid to public.
Rube Goldberg for those who have kids and prefer sending them to private schools, and no use to the childless.

Here's a novel idea: You want a product or service, you pay for it.

that is dumb. Children are the recipients, and should not be excluded simply because their parents are too fucktarded to value an education
Hiding behind the cheeeeeeelllldrrreeennnn will get you nowhere.

Good luck with that.

Good for you that you got a good public education. I would say that the people who are in charge of the Public Schools are too stupid to figure it out. That's actually a given since the poor results don't lie. So until we get some good people running the Public Schools, I'll continue to follow the Obama model.

Good luck with that.

Good for you that you got a good public education. I would say that the people who are in charge of the Public Schools are too stupid to figure it out. That's actually a given since the poor results don't lie. So until we get some good people running the Public Schools, I'll continue to follow the Obama model.

Because we all know Obama is opposed to education reform and is totally in bed with the teachers union... O wait...

Democrats are the Ultimate Hippocrates when it comes to choice.

They Scream Freedom of Choice when Talking about Abortion.

Then Vote to deny people choice at every turn.

School Vouchers, No Choice.
They want to take your Guns away. Again No choice.
They Ban Fatty foods, again No choice.

I could go on and on and on. The list of Issues on which Democrats are opposed to you having a choice is very long.

In fact it almost seems like the only choice they want you to be free to make, is to Kill your unborn Baby. Hell I think if most of them had their way there would only be one Party to choose from as well, with 1 Media preaching one side all the time.

Their side.

In light of the huge education debate the past few weeks, I can't help but wonder:

Democrats are staunchly pro-abortion. "Freedom of choice" they say.

But they despise the thought of school vouchers (Because it would take money away from unions).

So I conclude....

Democrats are only pro-choice when it comes to killing a child, not educating one.

1. where-as cons/repubs are ANTI-choice when it comes to abortion AND, after the child is born, they don't want to help it in any way..

they don't even mind if it starves to death

2. democrats believe that tax dollars should go to PUBLIC SECULAR schools open to ALL CHILDREN
they do NOT believe that tax dollars should be used for conservatives to send their kids to right wing indoctrination centers where they learn to hate everyone who isn't one of them

democrats do believe that you have a right to CHOOSE to send your kids to conservative/christian indoctrination centers...on your own dime....

Nice try, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me, or anyone else, that all those poor black families in Washington DC that take advantage of those vouchers are conservatives.

Feel free to try though, it is entertaining watching idiots rationalize their racial prejudice.

You have it exactly backwards.

Why should people who send their kids to private schools or even have no children at all be obliged to pay for gubmint schools?

The purpose of pubic schools is (or at least ought to be) to provide a minimum standard of education for all regardless of their parent's circumstances.

Public funding should never go to the indoctrination of religion, molestation, and other nonsense that takes place in religious schools

Let me ask you something. If the public schools fail to provide that minimum standard should parents be able to demand a refund and send their children to a school that actually helps them learn?

In light of the huge education debate the past few weeks, I can't help but wonder:

But they despise the thought of school vouchers (Because it would take money away from unions).

So I conclude....

Democrats are only pro-choice when it comes to killing a child, not educating one.

because you loons want us to pay for your kids' religious indoctrination. and want to impose your religious beliefs on women.

thank heaven for the first amendment.

What loons in this thread are demanding the right to send their children to a religious school? They are just asking why you, a person who supposedly advocate for choice, refuse to allow parents the right to send their children to any other school, even a public one.

Dude, you do know a school voucher would involve giving those parents "their own dime" back to them to do just that, pay it on their own time.

An education voucher is generally a public subsidy to buy from a private organization a good whose acquisition is compulsory.

I'm glad you can see this a concept that's viewed much more favorably by the right than the left. On that you're correct.

Why am I not surprised that you are attempting to tie this to the PPACA?

So I conclude....

because you loons want us to pay for your kids' religious indoctrination. and want to impose your religious beliefs on women.

What loons in this thread are demanding the right to send their children to a religious school? They are just asking why you, a person who supposedly advocate for choice, refuse to allow parents the right to send their children to any other school, even a public one.

When I was growing up, we had some neighbors round about the neck of the woods where we lived, who were home-schooled by their widowed mother up until college and nobody stopped them. They even collected Social Security benefits the whole time.

I was home schooled until 5th Grade (when my mother needed to be employed) and nobody stopped that either.

There are choices available, so there is no need to resort to hyperbole

When I was growing up, we had some neighbors round about the neck of the woods where we lived, who were home-schooled by their widowed mother up until college and nobody stopped them. They even collected Social Security benefits the whole time.

I was home schooled until 5th Grade (when my mother needed to be employed) and nobody stopped that either.

Tell you what, jump on jillian for her hyperbole about this being about religious loons wanting tax money for their schools an you have a point. since you jumped on me for calling her out, but not her, you don't. You are just being a partisan hack.

Tell you what, jump on jillian for her hyperbole about this being about religious loons wanting tax money for their schools an you have a point. since you jumped on me for calling her out, but not her, you don't. You are just being a partisan hack.

fair enough. for the record, she was oversimplifying. Private school vouchers originated with Milton Friedman who was either agnostic or atheist

Why do conservatives want the taxpayer to fund school vouchers if conservatives want lower taxes?

We want lower taxes because we aren't happy with the product we are being given in return (public schools).

So if we in the middle class wanna send our kids to a private school, but can't afford it, then what better idea than to ask for a refund of our tax dollars (school voucher) so we can send them to a private school.

Why should my kid go to 1 school, but I have to pay for 2?

Why should I pay for ANY school if I don't have children?

TAXES.

Becouse they are all our kids. They are our future we all benefit from well educated youth.

The federal government pay so much for each student anyway why not let the parents choose were they send their kids?

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FS5B-CynM"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FS5B-CynM[/ame]

Forum List

Back