CDZ How are deaths by terrorism different than deaths by mass shootings?

Anecdotal examples are not valid as evidence. Whatever your personal experiences as a healthcare worker, they do not stand up to statistics, so they are not valid.
Obviously you are misusing statistics. I'm not sure if you are just joking or what.

Seriously, you compared the number of people whoo choke to death on food to the number killed by terrorism without considering that the activity of eating is essential to survival while refusing to defend the country from AQ attacks is tantamount to suicide.

WTF?

Last edited:
From 2000 to 2015, 90 people have been killed by terrorists in the UK.

From 2000 to 2012, 246 people have been killed in the US during mass shootings.

Why are Americans so concerned about so called Islamic terrorism and not concerned about mass shootings?

What is the difference?

The likelihood of an American dying of a terrorist attack is 1 in 45,808. You are more likely to die choking on food, 1 in 3, 409.

How likely are foreign terrorists to kill Americans? The odds may surprise you
There were more terrorust attacks in the 70s and 80s in Europe than there are now, but people are now making a. bigger thing of them.

?? where in Europe? by whom in EUROPE?
All over Europe. The Red Brigade, the Basques in Spain, etc. The leaders on the right always want to keep you people terrified so that they can do whatever they want. My statement is true, do some research.

Why are Americans so concerned about so called Islamic terrorism and not concerned about mass shootings?

What is the difference?

The likelihood of an American dying of a terrorist attack is 1 in 45,808. You are more likely to die choking on food, 1 in 3, 409.

There were more terrorust attacks in the 70s and 80s in Europe than there are now, but people are now making a. bigger thing of them.

All over Europe. The Red Brigade, the Basques in Spain, etc. The leaders on the right always want to keep you people terrified so that they can do whatever they want. My statement is true, do some research.

you are doing history-----if you imagine that you have something to TEACH anyone-----you are wrong---
do some research

There is a randomness about terrorist attacks that mean you cant really defend against it. But you can probably minimise being murdered by things like where you live and how you conduct yourself.

In the UK that has been the case for all of my lifetime.

My Dad was teaching in Birmingham when the IRA were bombing the city. Nobody had a home phone in the UK in those days and it took a couple of days to hear from him after the pub bombings.

The IRA bombed a city with a huge Irish population and the residents had a right to think that this would not happen.

It was similar with the Warrington bomb a few years later.

Could the terrorists of today bomb my home town ? Its possible but not likely. There is probably one murder every two years around here, and mainly domestic violence, and I have never ever felt that my life has been at risk.

It puzzles me that Americans feel that terrorists are more of a threat than homegrown murderers. Its not the case in Europe and it certainly isnt the case in the US where you are more likely to be killed by a toddler than a terrorist.

Perhaps people get their perception through the tv news they watch.

What is the difference?

you are doing history-----if you imagine that you have something to TEACH anyone-----you are wrong---
do some research
Nonukes is right. There was plenty of terrorism in Europe before this decade. IRA, Basque Terrorists, and so on.

"There is a long history of terrorism in Europe. This has often been linked to nationalist and separatist movements, while other acts have been related to political extremism (including anarchism, far-right and far-left extremism) or religious extremism."

Look at the chart on this page and check out the terrorist attacks in Europe in the 1970s and 80s. Hundreds of deaths. You, Rosie, are the one who does not know history.

Most seem to be done by the IRA. And BTW, it was President Clinton who brokered the Nrthern Ireland peace process.

Terrorism in Europe - Wikipedia

Last edited:

What is the difference?

Because if someone can get something to support your agenda, they'll pump it for all it's worth. If it doesn't support their agenda, they'll ignore it.

What is the difference?

do some research
Nonukes is right. There was plenty of terrorism in Europe before this decade. IRA, Basque Terrorists, and so on.

"There is a long history of terrorism in Europe. This has often been linked to nationalist and separatist movements, while other acts have been related to political extremism (including anarchism, far-right and far-left extremism) or religious extremism."

Look at the chart on this page and check out the terrorist attacks in Europe in the 1970s and 80s. Hundreds of deaths. Not Islamic terrorism until after that time. You, Rosie, are the one who does not know history.

Terrorism in Europe - Wikipedia

Most terrorism exists because GOVERNMENTS treated people badly.

ETA exists because the Franco regime stopped them speaking their language, clamped down on them very hard.

The IRA exists because the British govt treated the Catholics in Ireland very badly.

There are plenty of other examples out there. There might be some, like the Communist groups, that don't exist for that reason, but many do.

Conflict between England and the Irish IS NOT a 20th century phenomenon. It did not even start out
as a Protestant/catholic phenomenon.-----in fact it PRECEDES the protestant reformation. It is a
matter of "domestic civil discontent. Same is true of the Basque separatist movement . ..Esmeralda
knows nothing about history. Islamic terrorism of current times is an international imperialist
TOTALITARIAN movement which is the current manifestation of the historic "age of Islamic
conquest" which included the genocide of approximately 500 million people and the destruction
of whole nations. The IRA did not bomb protestant picnics in Norway. Basques did not
do car bombs in Manhattan, New York.

Conflict between England and the Irish IS NOT a 20th century phenomenon. It did not even start out
as a Protestant/catholic phenomenon.-----in fact it PRECEDES the protestant reformation. It is a
matter of "domestic civil discontent. Same is true of the Basque separatist movement . ..Esmeralda
knows nothing about history. Islamic terrorism of current times is an international imperialist
TOTALITARIAN movement which is the current manifestation of the historic "age of Islamic
conquest" which included the genocide of approximately 500 million people and the destruction
of whole nations. The IRA did not bomb protestant picnics in Norway. Basques did not
Your perspective is warped because of your bigotry toward Islam. Plain and simple.

What is the difference?

How are deaths from terrorism any different than any other crimes ??

Negroes kill more white people than terrorists do.

Your perspective is warped because of your bigotry toward Islam. Plain and simple.
"Bigotry" towards islam is an oxymoron.

What is the difference?

How are deaths from terrorism any different than any other crimes ??

Negroes kill more white people than terrorists do.

world wide? how do you calculate these figures?

What is the difference?

Ok first off, the US statistics are cut short at 2012, (as if we somehow can't find that data) vs the British data cut off at 2015...its 2017 in the Information Age with the beautiful thing called the internet...the author of your article couldn't pull up the stats in the remaining years...or is cherry picking their data. Also what kind of ratio is the author setting up? Comparing US mass shootings to U.K. Terrorist attacks. How about comparing US terrorist attacks to U.K. terrorist attacks? That's quite the odd, and non congruent comparison to make.

And then if your comparing choking on food, (which is actually pretty common, especially among the elderly with swallowing problems) to terrorism...I mean one thing kind of just happened by mistake, the other happens because you're in the wrong place wrong time, and some random guy kills you in the name of allah. Yea I'm more afraid of the second scenario...as probably most here are. I don't think I'd like to die because someone decided to take my life on purpose, and I just happened to be trying to enjoy myself at an Ariana grande concert, or listening to a heavy metal band, or riding the bus, buying ice cream, etc.

What is the difference?

Ok first off, the US statistics are cut short at 2012, (as if we somehow can't find that data) vs the British data cut off at 2015...its 2017 in the Information Age with the beautiful thing called the internet...the author of your article couldn't pull up the stats in the remaining years...or is cherry picking their data. Also what kind of ratio is the author setting up? Comparing US mass shootings to U.K. Terrorist attacks. How about comparing US terrorist attacks to U.K. terrorist attacks? That's quite the odd, and non congruent comparison to make.

And then if your comparing choking on food, (which is actually pretty common, especially among the elderly with swallowing problems) to terrorism...I mean one thing kind of just happened by mistake, the other happens because you're in the wrong place wrong time, and some random guy kills you in the name of allah. Yea I'm more afraid of the second scenario...as probably most here are. I don't think I'd like to die because someone decided to take my life on purpose, and I just happened to be trying to enjoy myself at an Ariana grande concert, or listening to a heavy metal band, or riding the bus, buying ice cream, etc.
You have far more chance of dying in an auto accident on your way to work or to the mall than you do in a terrorist attack, whether you live in Europe or the US. That is the correct perspective no matter what.

What is the difference?

You have far more chance of dying in an auto accident on your way to work or to the mall than you do in a terrorist attack, whether you live in Europe or the US. That is the correct perspective no matter what.

Yea that makes sense, (Capitan obvious) because they are the 4th leading cause of deaths...still doesn't change the fact that those are accidents, vs someone killing you on purpose for no reason other than proximity when they decide to kill. Again accidents sadly happen all the time, but it's not on purpose, vs terrorism which is done on purpose, over no fault of your own

And if that's your standards, then I assume guns are not a problem for you? Since they don't even make the top 10 of deaths in the US?

What is the difference?

Yea that makes sense, (Capitan obvious) because they are the 4th leading cause of deaths...still doesn't change the fact that those are accidents, vs someone killing you on purpose for no reason other than proximity when they decide to kill. Again accidents sadly happen all the time, but it's not on purpose, vs terrorism which is done on purpose, over no fault of your own

And if that's your standards, then I assume guns are not a problem for you? Since they don't even make the top 10 of deaths in the US?
I don't think any of this post responds to the original post. Could you please explain to me how it does?

What is the difference?

***"That is THE CORRECT PERSPECTIVE ..... as opposed to what and applicable to what?
The elaboration of laws? Homeland security? The prosecution of crime?

What is the difference?

Because if someone can get something to support your agenda, they'll pump it for all it's worth. If it doesn't support their agenda, they'll ignore it.

what agenda?

Mass shooting probably isn't planned or has any intense reason.
Terrorist work together and have a broad long term plan.
Which also leads to the inherent problem with defending from mass shootings. It is near impossible to protect a population from random acts.

Forum List

Back