How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

Too many underestimate fire and don't understand how it works.
I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies
No basement?

A basement won't help you in a firestorm. The oxygen is sucked out of everywhere and you suffocate.

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies
No basement?

A basement won't help you in a firestorm. The oxygen is sucked out of everywhere and you suffocate.

Not many basements in California anyway.

No basement?

There are no firestorms in Missouri lol. We're talking about tornadoes

As one who survived one of the 07 wildfires, it is a miracle so few are dead.

The fire will jump half a mile at a time with burning embers. We are talking hundred foot flames popping up all over. If you try to drive thru it the heat radiating thru your windows cooks you before you get thru. Humidity is single digits, and you have hurricane force winds so everything burns. Everything.

No basement?

We went off topic to tornados for a minute.

Lots of Californians recognized the smell of wildfires versus structure fires- and yeah wind and warm temperatures tend to alert us.

But most people are not awake at 2 in the morning to notice these things.

And this was a wildfire that became an urban fire- jumping a freeway, a highway- and an entire parking lot around a K-Mart- and setting it on fire.

It burned down an entire urban neighborhood on the flat land with the closest 'wildland' a mile away.

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

Sure they make fire cuts in California. Both fire cuts done in forests and on grass lands as a preventative- and then in advance of fires where they can. Lots of this terrain is too steep for dozers- so if they cut a line it has to be done all by hand.

And yes- this fire was jumping miles- 70 mile an hour winds and golf ball size embers flying through the air.

Lots of Californians recognized the smell of wildfires versus structure fires- and yeah wind and warm temperatures tend to alert us.

But most people are not awake at 2 in the morning to notice these things.

And this was a wildfire that became an urban fire- jumping a freeway, a highway- and an entire parking lot around a K-Mart- and setting it on fire.

It burned down an entire urban neighborhood on the flat land with the closest 'wildland' a mile away.
And no officials set off any alarm systems....

I pose the same question I did in the title...

I think it is well known that fire danger is a price you pay for living in wooded areas. Although, that may be the people that actually live on the mountain.

In the area hit, frankly fires in the hills/brushy areas(brush is even worse than wooded areas) are somewhat normal to get hit by fires.

But this fire came down out of the hills and woods and hits whole neighborhoods on the flat land.

With the threat of yearly fires, why do they still build their homes out of wood?

With the threat of yearly fires, why do they still build their homes out of wood?

Now that is a valid point- sort of why do we still keep building houses along the Gulf coast even with the yearly threat of hurricanes.

Wood is cheaper than all steel and concrete- but we should look at this- especially the roofs- fire proof roofs probably would save lives.

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

It is the environmentalists who don't allow forest deadfall cleanups. The Forest Service would love to clear that crap out.

Yep somehow they have made laws without 1 vote.

In other words: No firecuts.

Nope....The enviro-nuts have screwed US again.

A woman was on television talking about her mother. Her mom had called to say that she had tried to get out but the flames were everywhere. Then the phone went dead. The woman's burned body was found in the ashes of her home.

Someone is setting these fires.
While it is possible some were arson, it is far more likely that the hurricane force winds blew debris into power lines and started most of the fires. The large vegetation is still very dry from the years long drought, and the record heat this summer dried out the fast growth of brush and grass from this springs record rains.

I think it is well known that fire danger is a price you pay for living in wooded areas. Although, that may be the people that actually live on the mountain.

The danger has been brought on AFTER many have moved there....The EPA has systematically closed off the national forests to fuel abatement.

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
into the hands of the INS
I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

Go the opposite way of the fire!

Problem is, you don't know where the opposite way is. Lighten up Grampa.
I'm not trying to be an ass. I truly don't get it.
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I just don't understand it
No, you don't understand it. You have never seen a fire run before a wind gusting to nearly 80 mph. You have never seen a large evergreen explode, and burning limbs as large as your arm carried for miles by that wind. And where they fall, a raging fire, many acres in size explode in minutes, and repeat the process all over again. So the fire that began ten minutes ago five ridges over, and ten miles away, is now in your front yard. And it is at night, you are already in bed, and you wake to the fact that your neighborhood is engulfed in fire. No, you don't understand, and you don't want to understand. You want to blame the victims so you can whine about paying taxes that aid your fellow Americans that have lost everything they own. You are a shameful person.

And nobody dies from tornadoes or lose their homes from tornadoes in tornado alley? What the hell are you trying to say?

I knew it! No fire cuts!

Oh! You can't cut a line in a patch of trees! (Say the tree huggers)

So the whole damn thing burns. Also people lose their homesteads and everything.

Sad.

I cut 2 tons of tree today. It didn't cry, it thanked me.

Forum List

Back