How An Officer Destroyed His Career Trying To Save Haitian Lives

Discussion in 'Military' started by NATO AIR, May 8, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I was rereading the book, "The Immaculate Invasion" about America's intravasion of Haiti 11 years ago and came across the same story that gave me pause the last time I read the book.
    Hackworth's death reminded me of a column he had written about this officer and his court-martial.
    I admit his actions were bizzare at times to say the least, but I believe that what he was doing was right in the face of the disregard his chain of command was showing for the lives of the locals (including his intelligence assets) and he got screwed by his chain of command for acting in the face of their incompetence.

This also seemed another prime example of Clinton's misleadership and misuse of the military where he put them in these situations and then expected them to operate by different rules at different times without any clarification.

What do you think?

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    In case you have not figured it out for yourself already, here's a military axiom that has ended many a distinguished career - the brass will forgive you for being wrong, but they will NEVER forgive you for being RIGHT.