How ALL Business Phones SHOULD Be Answered!

Pale Rider said:
How ALL business phones SHOULD be answered!

GOOD MORNING,

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Press "1" for English.

Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Why the hell should I have to "push 1 for English"? If anything it should just say:

GOOD MORNING,

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Press "1" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Pale Rider said:
I can remember when that's what happened. Of course I can remember when you never had to get out of your car to buy gas either. You just told them how much, and while the gas was pumping, they checked your oil and cleaned you windshield. It's called "the personal touch", and I'm afraid it's gone forever.
actually, there are a few places around here that still do that, but they are in the more affluent areas. I have been to one in Wayzata, which is on the north end of Lake Minnetonka. It was kinda weird, but nice too.

However, most people pay with cards (debit, check, or credit) not cash now, and honestly, I don't know if I could trust the person I am handing my card to, to not run it through everyone else's bill or worse-write the numbers down, and the 3 digit CVV2 # on the back, then proceed to order shit online or over the phone, etc. I work at a bank...I have seen it happen to customers' accounts.

fuzzykitten99 said:
actually, there are a few places around here that still do that, but they are in the more affluent areas. I have been to one in Wayzata, which is on the north end of Lake Minnetonka. It was kinda weird, but nice too.

However, most people pay with cards (debit, check, or credit) not cash now, and honestly, I don't know if I could trust the person I am handing my card to, to not run it through everyone else's bill or worse-write the numbers down, and the 3 digit CVV2 # on the back, then proceed to order shit online or over the phone, etc. I work at a bank...I have seen it happen to customers' accounts.

They'd have to have one of those little swipe machines right in plain view, and then one of those little things on a coiled cord for you to have to enter your pin on, like at Burger King... :D

dilloduck said:
really--thats after the oil embargo.

ok---18 cents a gallon--Texas--1971:fifty:

I remember around 1975, when I had my 1965 Buick Riviera. If my memory serves me right, Sonoca 260, which was 102 octane leaded ethel, was around $.48 a gallon.

Pale Rider said:
I remember around 1975, when I had my 1965 Buick Riviera. If my memory serves me right, Sonoca 260, which was 102 octane leaded ethel, was around $.48 a gallon.

Warwick, Rhode Island. I was one of 6 kids, so we all got turns driving the family's shitbox second car. When it was my turn it was a Chevy Vega. A 1971 Chevy Vega, I think. Did 0-60 in about 12 minutes. When you finally got up to about 60, the keys would jangle in the ignition.

Yup. I remember the first time I paid for gas by myself. 33 cents. I could fill the car with about $5.00 and it would last me a week. Most of the time I'd only get $3.00 worth. Can you imagine that today? I got gas yesterday and 87 was $3.13.

I turned 16 in May of 1975, so it was sometime after that. They didn't trust me with the car by myself until I'd been driving for a while. That gas station is long gone now. It's design didn't exactly catch on. It was a drive through self serv. It had four rows of pumps. You got out and pumped it yourself, and then you would drive forward to the kiosk and pay.

I drove for quite a while before the price went over a dollar. I remember the pumps back then weren't even designed to dispence gas at any price over a dollar a gallon. Can you imagine that now? A whole industry that manufactured gas pumps for decades that didn't allow a price over .99 a gallon.

Pale Rider said:
They'd have to have one of those little swipe machines right in plain view, and then one of those little things on a coiled cord for you to have to enter your pin on, like at Burger King... :D
i can only enter my pin if I use it as an ATM card to get cash, and most places here in MN do not enable you to use PIN based transactions, only transactions using the VISA logo (aka signature-based). It has to do with the way they process funds electronically. Companies have to pay to utilize this feature, the same way they have to pay VISA to use their logo for transactions, but PIN based transactions (regardless of what bank the customer has) cost more overall, so most don't offer it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back