How Again is Gun Control Beneficial?

I think it's a good legislation. The ONLY people who rush out and buy a handgun are up to no good. Gives them time to cool down. You or I can wait a few weeks, no big deal.

That's the rub though, Brady laws are ineffective. If you want a weapon for a crime you are going to get one and the likely fact is you will attain one illegally.
SAF Press Release :: BRADY LAW PROVEN INEFFECTIVE ONCE AGAIN

A criminal ? Yes. I was talking about the so called crimes of passion. You know husband gets mad and runs down to buy a gun to shoot his wife. Man has to wait 9 days, that's 9 days for him to think " that's a dumb idea" . If one life is saved, I'll wait 9 days. Not that I personally have to, but I would.

I don't believe that crime is prevalent at all. In a case such as that it is far more likely for the husband to simply grab a knife in the kitchen or complete the deed with his own hands. If you are hot enough that a drive to the store does not cool you down then a wait will not either. In the end, I can accept waiting periods though but I will not support them. A waiting period is not a big enough deal to get me upset. Not much of an inconvenience for those that want a weapon for legal purposes.

I was flipping through my Sirius stations today and happened upon "The Ed Show". Ed was screaming, yes, "screaming" at a very mild mannered man who had called in to his show. Ed called him "insane" because he supported the recent supreme court decision regarding gun control.

On an aside I wondered how someone as enlightened as Ed would go into hysterics and make personal attacks against his caller. I thought the tolerant left didn't regress to such antics. :wtf:

Anyway, I'd like someone from the "enlightened" side of the political aisle to explain something to me.

I'm a middle-class, middle-aged white guy with a wife, kids, home, mortgage and dog. We live in the suburbs of Orlando, Florida. How will my giving my gun change the near-constant shootings that occur in the inner cities? I know a cop and he told me what is insane is to rely on the police to protect myself and my family. I believed him. If I give up my gun, can Ed, Obama, Pelosi or some other person assure me that my home won't be the target of a gun-wielding home invader?

I'm willing to be persuaded. Please, enlighten me. Thank you.

Keep your gun.

I was flipping through my Sirius stations today and happened upon "The Ed Show". Ed was screaming, yes, "screaming" at a very mild mannered man who had called in to his show. Ed called him "insane" because he supported the recent supreme court decision regarding gun control.

On an aside I wondered how someone as enlightened as Ed would go into hysterics and make personal attacks against his caller. I thought the tolerant left didn't regress to such antics. :wtf:

Anyway, I'd like someone from the "enlightened" side of the political aisle to explain something to me.

I'm a middle-class, middle-aged white guy with a wife, kids, home, mortgage and dog. We live in the suburbs of Orlando, Florida. How will my giving my gun change the near-constant shootings that occur in the inner cities? I know a cop and he told me what is insane is to rely on the police to protect myself and my family. I believed him. If I give up my gun, can Ed, Obama, Pelosi or some other person assure me that my home won't be the target of a gun-wielding home invader?

Keep your gun.

I intend to, ordered a new handgun just today in fact.

Gun control is a funny subject. Forget we have that little known paper that gives us a right to own weapons. Instead focus on the fact someone that lives in a mansion and has bodyguards wants to tell you that you dont need a gun while living in a country that is as violent and the US. Its almost laughable. Well if I dont need a gun then you dont as well :funnyface: Want to talk about bad ideas. My god its horrid. Hey I dont need welfare so no one else should!!! That would solve a lot too!

RetardedGySgt,

Yes indeed I am Canadian and I thank God for that daily. My input on this subject means as much as does yours my son for I am a citizen not only of Canada but of the world. Perhaps if people such as yourself listened to the opinion of other more educated and intelligent people, people like I who have University degrees in Divinity, History, and Science, half witted, inbreds such as yourself would be much better off.

There is nothing I like better thank a holier than thou canadian lecturing Americans on topics like gun control. Please, continue, lol.

Keep your gun.

I intend to, ordered a new handgun just today in fact.

Does it make up for your tiny penis and lack of real dignity?

I don't .

Some people may need to buy a gun immediately because of an urgent threat.

I don't agree with waiting periods either but that is because it has been shown that waiting periods do not reduce gun crimes in any way but I cannot think of a single reason that you would need a gun immediately either. For me it is a matter of an impotent regulation. Those are not needed.

I think it's a good legislation. The ONLY people who rush out and buy a handgun are up to no good. Gives them time to cool down. You or I can wait a few weeks, no big deal.

I don't agree.

Here is a 911 call of a woman who was stalked, a friend lent her a handgun. The stalker broke into her house, started strangelling the woman, and she shot him.

She got the gun from a friend the very day that she was attacked.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAADW9wNvk]YouTube - Second Amendment Foundation Online - woman shoots attacker[/ame]

Some people who get guns need them immediately because they have a threat to their life.

That's the rub though, Brady laws are ineffective. If you want a weapon for a crime you are going to get one and the likely fact is you will attain one illegally.

A criminal ? Yes. I was talking about the so called crimes of passion. You know husband gets mad and runs down to buy a gun to shoot his wife. Man has to wait 9 days, that's 9 days for him to think " that's a dumb idea" . If one life is saved, I'll wait 9 days. Not that I personally have to, but I would.

I don't believe that crime is prevalent at all. In a case such as that it is far more likely for the husband to simply grab a knife in the kitchen or complete the deed with his own hands. If you are hot enough that a drive to the store does not cool you down then a wait will not either. In the end, I can accept waiting periods though but I will not support them. A waiting period is not a big enough deal to get me upset. Not much of an inconvenience for those that want a weapon for legal purposes.

Ya it is if a person feels that his/her life is in imminent danger.

Stalkers, personal protection orders, imminent danger, these things are party of reality.

How about girl breaks up with boy. Boy threatens to kill her. Girl is afraid. Girl needs to buy gun. Boy comes at night, breaks into her house, and tries to kill her.

Good reason?

Here is a 911 call of a woman who didn't have a weapon during a home invasion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3vWsa4ags&feature=related]YouTube - 911 Caller Without Gun in Home Invasion[/ame]

RetardedGySgt,

Yes indeed I am Canadian and I thank God for that daily. My input on this subject means as much as does yours my son for I am a citizen not only of Canada but of the world. Perhaps if people such as yourself listened to the opinion of other more educated and intelligent people, people like I who have University degrees in Divinity, History, and Science, half witted, inbreds such as yourself would be much better off.

Oh I see you have some degrees. Huh, i have one as well. Its in the art of telling you to shut the fuck up. Damn self righteous Canadians. Ok citizen of the world go over to the middle east, Asia, South America, or Africa and tell them to put down their guns. Let me know how that works out for ya!!!

Hey i want everyone to take a look at something here. Look what this highly educated person is doing. Read it. I am better than you. I am right. I am awesome. You are an inbred. You are stupid. I control you.

Being educated means having an understanding of anothers point of view and being tolerant. I guess that wasn't taught in the Canadian school system. I guess debate consists of putting your view point out there and insulting everyone that doesnt agree.

Well here is my view on gun control. I guess I am uneducated as well. Being that I am uneducated and i guess by default an inbred, that also makes me a savage. A savage that will slay you if given the chance. There are more of me than there are of you. The only thing keeping the uneducated, inbred, savages from tearing you and your kind apart is the knowledge that you may have a gun or another slayer will use their gun on us if we harm you.

What an arrogant ass!
:ahole-1::ahole-1::ahole-1::ahole-1:

Last edited:
RetardedGySgt,

Oh I see you have some degrees. Huh, i have one as well. Its in the art of telling you to shut the fuck up. Damn self righteous Canadians. Ok citizen of the world go over to the middle east, Asia, South America, or Africa and tell them to put down their guns. Let me know how that works out for ya!!!

Hey i want everyone to take a look at something here. Look what this highly educated person is doing. Read it. I am better than you. I am right. I am awesome. You are an inbred. You are stupid. I control you.

Being educated means having an understanding of anothers point of view and being tolerant. I guess that wasn't taught in the Canadian school system. I guess debate consists of putting your view point out there and insulting everyone that doesnt agree.

Well here is my view on gun control. I guess I am uneducated as well. Being that I am uneducated and i guess by default an inbred, that also makes me a savage. A savage that will slay you if given the chance. There are more of me than there are of you. The only thing keeping the uneducated, inbred, savages from tearing you and your kind apart is the knowledge that you may have a gun or another slayer will use their gun on us if we harm you.

What an arrogant ass!

A person like Yukon lives in a world where he is protected from a reality most of the worlds population cannot ignore. Issues like guns are "political" to them. I have been in many places where "the gold in your teeth" or that diamond ring on your finger are reason enough for you to die.

Desperate poverty and despot politics lead to violence. People like Yukon just don't even consider it could happen in their world. If there were enough starving canadians he would arm himself to the teeth and abandon all that "we are all brothers" bullshit.

Last edited:
RetardedGySgt,

That's your idea of debate? "Shut and and think what I tell you because I'm smarter than you"?

And leftist wonder why people say they're elitist and arrogant. :lol:

RetardedGySgt,

What an arrogant ass!

More of an indictment of the canadian "educational" system.

RetardedGySgt,

That's your idea of debate? "Shut and and think what I tell you because I'm smarter than you"?

And leftist wonder why people say they're elitist and arrogant. :lol:

They are stupid and ignorant.

The kind of guy who would think gun as a way to deal with hurt or anger, however, is most likely the kind of guy who knows how to get a gun on the street any time he wants one. Using a gun to deal with hurt or anger would not occur to me, nor have I ever been in the crime/drug culture, but even I would have no trouble obtaining a weapon any time I wanted one.

I prefer to do it honestly, legally, and without concern of what a 'street' gun has been implicated in, however. And if I felt the need to purchase a gun in a hurry, it would be because I feared for my life, safety, or that of loved ones. And I wouldn't want to have to wait nine days to get one.

Using your logic, if waiving the waiting period or implementing a quick on line instant background check would save a single life, it would be worth it.

Note, I am NOT saying that no background check should be done. I am NOT saying that anybody should be able to purchase a firearm without providing positive ID and waiting for a quick background check to make sure he or she isn't an illegal, isn't on parole, isn't wanted, isn't an escaped mental patient, or whatever. But with today's technology there is no reason the 'no authorized gun' crowd can't be placed into a single, easily accessible base for law enforcement personnel and gun dealers similar to the 'no fly' list or cancelled credit cards--a data base that can be accessed from the counter while the customer waits.

The nine day waiting period is far more political ideological nonsense than practical.

The kind of guy who would think gun as a way to deal with hurt or anger, however, is most likely the kind of guy who knows how to get a gun on the street any time he wants one. Using a gun to deal with hurt or anger would not occur to me, nor have I ever been in the crime/drug culture, but even I would have no trouble obtaining a weapon any time I wanted one.

I prefer to do it honestly, legally, and without concern of what a 'street' gun has been implicated in, however. And if I felt the need to purchase a gun in a hurry, it would be because I feared for my life, safety, or that of loved ones. And I wouldn't want to have to wait nine days to get one.

Using your logic, if waiving the waiting period or implementing a quick on line instant background check would save a single life, it would be worth it.

Note, I am NOT saying that no background check should be done. I am NOT saying that anybody should be able to purchase a firearm without providing positive ID and waiting for a quick background check to make sure he or she isn't an illegal, isn't on parole, isn't wanted, isn't an escaped mental patient, or whatever. But with today's technology there is no reason the 'no authorized gun' crowd can't be placed into a single, easily accessible base for law enforcement personnel and gun dealers similar to the 'no fly' list or cancelled credit cards--a data base that can be accessed from the counter while the customer waits.

The nine day waiting period is far more political ideological nonsense than practical.

Oh, I definately agree that the technology has probably outpaced this law. I mean we live in a day where I can go to to the bank website of my choice and borrow $50K in a manner of minutes without so much as saying boo to an actual person. There is no reason why a gun check couldn't be done instantaneously as well.

My preference would be for a tiered system

If you're a known quantity, meaning in the system as having bought guns in the past clean record etc etc etc you should have immediate access

If you're relatively new to the market, and maybe there might be some questions as to your intent, you wait the 9 days

and then of course those that should be denied period

and obviously a person can move up and down the tiers as their behavior dictates

The problem is that you may be new to the market because your life is in imminent danger and you need a firearm immediately.

Oh, I definately agree that the technology has probably outpaced this law. I mean we live in a day where I can go to to the bank website of my choice and borrow $50K in a manner of minutes without so much as saying boo to an actual person. There is no reason why a gun check couldn't be done instantaneously as well.

My preference would be for a tiered system

If you're a known quantity, meaning in the system as having bought guns in the past clean record etc etc etc you should have immediate access

If you're relatively new to the market, and maybe there might be some questions as to your intent, you wait the 9 days

and then of course those that should be denied period

and obviously a person can move up and down the tiers as their behavior dictates

I don't want even the first time gun buyer to have unnecessary restrictions just because 'he might' have something illegal in mind. If he has a clean record, which a background check would show, there is no reason he should not be able to purchase a gun to protect himself whenever he chooses to do that.

Right now we don't own a handgun. There is no record anywhere of either of us ever having owned a gun, though we do have a rifle in the house. (And a Red Ryder BB gun but that's another story. Christmas Story actually.) We have had no criminal charges, much less convictions, on our record at least any more serious than a traffic ticket.

We have been giving serious thought to replacing the handgun we gave away years ago. And if we should feel particularly threatened we would want the right and ability to do so immediately.

Forum List

Back