How accurate was Full Metal Jacket's boot camp scene?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
I heard it said that it was pretty authentic. what was and what wasn't accurate?

• Banned
Sorry, I meant the entire first half of the movie.

The inspiration for Full Metal Jacket was a novel called The Short-Timers by Viet Nam combat correspondent Gustav Hasford. He was a friend of my ex-husband, and had a circle of friends which included Kent Anderson, a vet of the 5th special forces group and author of "Sympathy for the Devil". According to Kent and my ex, the novel was very authentic and drew on Gustav's own experiences.

My understanding is that his time in Viet Nam affected him terribly, and he died ill and alone and essentially a recluse in 1993.

Although, given my husband's inability to read people, the guy may have just been a mentally ill asshole.

But I think the depiction is authentic. I know plenty of Viet Nam vets who had no criticism of it. THe ones that could stand to watch it, that is.

well dude..supply the clip at least...geez....is it just me ...or is this clip...funny as hell..in some weird way...

YouTube - Full Metal Jacket Clip

The hardest part of BMT for me was not laughing my ass off at some of the shit the TI's would come up with while chewing out trainees.

that is why my dad and grandfather told me that under no circumstances should i join....

actually, knowing you as i do, GREAT advice :lol:

I went through Boot camp after changes had occurred but It was still pretty close to what we had, the only thing being the Drill Instructors could not physically hit you. Still happened of course. It was pretty real to me.

I went through Boot camp after changes had occurred but It was still pretty close to what we had, the only thing being the Drill Instructors could not physically hit you. Still happened of course. It was pretty real to me.

when were you in bootcamp?

According to my bros it is pretty much dead on except they aren't supposed to hit you anymore. They said it's actually worse now because of the head games, they would rather have been hit. :tongue:

Doesn't change my mind, I'm still going Marines when I finally pull the trigger on this.

According to my bros it is pretty much dead on except they aren't supposed to hit you anymore. They said it's actually worse now because of the head games, they would rather have been hit. :tongue:

Doesn't change my mind, I'm still going Marines when I finally pull the trigger on this.

and you'll be a great one !

and you'll be a great one !

Fuckin A, DD.

well dude..supply the clip at least...geez....is it just me ...or is this clip...funny as hell..in some weird way...

YouTube - Full Metal Jacket Clip

The hardest part of BMT for me was not laughing my ass off at some of the shit the TI's would come up with while chewing out trainees.

that is why my dad and grandfather told me that under no circumstances should i join....
I was very close fo joining the navy my senior year and my softball coach who was ex military pretty much said the same thing and I didn't join. Even being a women I was highly recuited by all the branches of the military because of my sports background and being in good shape and not small.

The boot camp scene was dead on.

Three people dead while I went through boot camp, one on the pistol range shot his brains out, I did not see this.

Another died in the morning standing in front of his rack right after reville, he did not take in enough salt and died of dehdration.

Another drowned during swim qual, they said he died of a heart attack, I bet he did, if you could not swim the DI's pushed you under until you swam, no drowning, poor son of a bitch had a heart attack.

Had another guy slit his wrists and lived.

Another jumped off the 2nd floor, not far enough to die but he broke his legs.

I watched the DI hit people, not often and only at the end of boot camp when we had to little time left to report it. Nobody took a chance that late in the game, we got short and just wanted to make it.

People say they would rather be hit, right, we had the mind games and got hit, we suffered from sleep deprivation, lack of water, too much excercise, mind games, even less sleep, complete fatigue. I was a hollywood marine, I hear the guys at perris island got at alive by sand fleas.

The movie was dead on except there is just no way for an audience to truely relate.

I hated my drill instructor, Sgt Cambell, I remember his face like it was yesterday, his voice, what a prick.

Three people dead while I went through boot camp, one on the pistol range shot his brains out, I did not see this.

Another died in the morning standing in front of his rack right after reville, he did not take in enough salt and died of dehdration.

Another drowned during swim qual, they said he died of a heart attack, I bet he did, if you could not swim the DI's pushed you under until you swam, no drowning, poor son of a bitch had a heart attack.

I watched the DI hit people, not often and only at the end of boot camp when we had to little time left to report it. Nobody took a chance that late in the game, we got short and just wanted to make it.

People say they would rather be hit, right, we had the mind games and got hit, we suffered from sleep deprivation, lack of water, too much excercise, mind games, even less sleep, complete fatigue. I was a hollywood marine, I hear the guys at perris island got at alive by sand fleas.

The movie was dead on except there is just no way for an audience to truely relate.

I hated my drill instructor, Sgt Cambell, I remember his face like it was yesterday, his voice, what a prick.

I don't know what they do to girls... but knowing what my bros and dad have said I don't care. I will go and I WILL fuck them up. I can be an unstoppable force of nature when I bring it, and I will bring it. I never lose my site on the prize. They can NOT break me.

A lot of people here probably think of me as a tender little flower because of how I talk about God and love... don't be deceived, I'm also the little girl that can drop a deer at 300 yards with a lite load, and skin it and turn it into dinner. And soooo much more. I'm pretty sure my destiny is with the Marines, like my father and his father before him. I think I need to join this long family tradition, and no matter what happens I will have made my father proud. And is there truly anything better 1 can do in their life? I don't think so.

I don't know what they do to girls... but knowing what my bros and dad have said I don't care. I will go and I WILL fuck them up. I can be an unstoppable force of nature when I bring it, and I will bring it. I never lose my site on the prize. They can NOT break me.

A lot of people here probably think of me as a tender little flower because of how I talk about God and love... don't be deceived, I'm also the little girl that can drop a deer at 300 yards with a lite load, and skin it and turn it into dinner. And soooo much more. I'm pretty sure my destiny is with the Marines, like my father and his father before him. I think I need to join this long family tradition, and no matter what happens I will have made my father proud. And is there truly anything better 1 can do in their life? I don't think so.

I would advice you not "bring it" while in boot camp. Quick way to end a career. And as for " bringing it" in the fleet? Better be careful who you " bring it" to. Rank wins just about every single time. You see dear, being right has NOTHING to do with following orders or not. There are two ways to do things in the Marine Corps... The Marine Corps way and NOT the Marine Corps way. Right and wrong are irrelevant.

And before you refuse an order cause it is illegal, better make sure it is clear as a bell and can not be intrepretted any other way.

Let me make it easy...

If you are ORDERED to shoot an unarmed prisoner, depending on the circumstances that MAY be an illegal order.

Illegal orders must be refused, however you better damn well be able to prove it was illegal. That is why if the military is ever ordered to fight US Citizens some will obey and some won't. I would suggest in such a case you not refuse and instead try to find out who supports your position and together join the other side. Cause in a Court you will likely lose.

The first half of that movie was great.

The second half of that film was shyte.

Forum List

Back