How About a SHINGLES Shot, then?

You won't appreciate what a shingles shot can do for you until you have the misfortune of contracting this painful condition, or a loved one gets it. They offer these shots at super markets, right along with flu shots. I have had both. My wife contracted shingles two years ago, and I don't EVER want to have to deal with that.

Herpes zoster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a friend who got shingles. It started out as an earache and they gave him a steroid drop. The next day the shingles exploded! It enveloped his ear, and half of his face and mouth. Shingles is a virus that attacks the nerves. Once all was over and done....

Half of his face was paralyzed and he lost the ability to taste food. :eek:

Now my neighbor has it. :eek:

This is not something EVER want to contract.

You won't appreciate what a shingles shot can do for you until you have the misfortune of contracting this painful condition, or a loved one gets it. They offer these shots at super markets, right along with flu shots. I have had both. My wife contracted shingles two years ago, and I don't EVER want to have to deal with that.

I have a friend who got shingles. It started out as an earache and they gave him a steroid drop. The next day the shingles exploded! It enveloped his ear, and half of his face and mouth. Shingles is a virus that attacks the nerves. Once all was over and done....

It hit my wife's ear, neck and shoulder area. Mainly the side of her neck and her ear. This was two years ago. She still has symptoms, but not as bad as it was for eight months or so - during the first eight months, I though she was going to go crazy with the pain.

It hit my wife's ear, neck and shoulder area. Mainly the side of her neck and her ear. This was two years ago. She still has symptoms, but not as bad as it was for eight months or so - during the first eight months, I though she was going to go crazy with the pain.

Nerve pain.... not very pleasant at all. I am sorry she suffered so much. Hopefully you have gotten your vaccine.

when i got shingles......my doctor ask why i waited so long to come in.....i told him i thought it was cancer and would kill me pretty quickly.....it felt like something was inside trying to eat its way out

It's a herpes virus..once you get it you have it for life.

My niece has it.

It's a herpes virus..once you get it you have it for life.

My niece has it.

Its your childhood chicken pox come back in an adult form. But yes...a herpes virus.

Last edited:
it's chicken pox. with a vengeance.

but wait, if you get a shingles vaccine, don't children get autism because of the government conspiracy?

I fell off a mountain bike five years ago and broke my femur in two places. Rare for the bone to brake like that. Pain was off the charts. Well, I developed a case of shingles last year on the right side of my body. Awful. I'd welcome a broken bone or ten over that pain. Still dealing with a level of pain that is thankfully managed.

This lady at my work has shingles on her face right now. I feel terrible for her, for one she looks like she did a face plant while riding down a mountain on a bike. I think it is very important for the elderly to get the vaccine.

Is kind of expensive - over $200 here...
eek.gif

Do You Need the Shingles Vaccine?
July 2, 2017 - Q. I keep seeing scary TV commercials about shingles, urging people to get the vaccine. Should I?
A. Yes, if you're 60 or older, says Marvin M. Lipman M.D., Consumer Reports' chief medical adviser. Shingles, or herpes zoster, occurs when the chicken pox virus reactivates later in life, causing a blistery rash almost always in a limited area on one side of the body. Because there was no chicken pox vaccine until 1995, some 99.5 percent of adults born in the U.S. who are older than 40 were infected in childhood and therefore still have the virus present in their bodies. Once the rash clears up, usually within three to six weeks, about 20 percent of sufferers are left with mild to severe nerve pain, or postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), that can last for months or even years.

The shingles vaccine, Zostavax, available since 2006, reduces the chance of shingles by only 51 percent. But if you do get shingles even after getting the vaccine, it will still ease the severity of the symptoms and cut the risk of having PHN by 67 percent.

c3659973e234c004dd1daf1d658eebb8

So why wait until age 60? The risk of shingles rises with age—possibly as a result of a weakened immune system—so it's best to get the vaccine at age 60 or later, when you're most likely to need it. The current shingles vaccine's effectiveness begins to wane after just five years and no booster is currently licensed, though research is actively underway. Additionally, a two-dose shingles vaccine that may offer significantly more protection is in the works though not yet approved.

Also be aware that the current shingles vaccine is not always well-covered by insurance. And it's pricey, $200 or more, so check your insurance so that you're prepared. For more information, read "Even If You've Had Shingles, Get the Zostavax Vaccine."

Do You Need the Shingles Vaccine?

New Topics

Forum List

Back