How about a Dog Lover's Thread?

b8d56c80e0417023c00fcc4b55f711b7.jpg

EQGH_landing_main_creative.jpg

We paid nothing for our Teddy because he was a RESCUE dog that was abused by previous owners. He ran away 13 times. After being vetted by Golden Retriever Rescue, (there are rescues for all breeds of dogs on the internet in your State), so I am ready to pay whatever is needed.

Teddy's health coverage is $44 a month because of a pre-existing Thyroid condition. Some operations go into the thousands. Teddy is covered by Healthy Paws Insurance which is run by a non-profit pet owners foundation. You may use the licensed vet or your choice. Dogs and cats under six years old with no preexisting conditions run about $30 a month.

HealthyPawsBanner_300x250_Dog.jpg

Last edited:
Do dogs suffer from depression?

Depression in Dogs: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and More

First Paragraph. Maybe you’ve just moved, or you’ve brought home a new baby. Out of the blue, your usually energetic pooch is withdrawn and listless. Could your dog be depressed? Yes, say experts. And, depression in dogs isn’t so different from depression in people.

Last Paragraph.
“Dogs pick up on our emotions, so if the owner has died, the dog could be responding to the grief of others,” Beaver said. “Or the dog may not be getting the attention he’s accustomed to, which is stressing him out.”

article-2396570-182C10EC000005DC-658_634x417.jpg

Last edited:
EQGH_landing_main_creative.jpg

We paid nothing for our Teddy because he was a RESCUE dog that was abused by previous owners. He ran away 13 times. After being vetted by Golden Retriever Rescue, (there are rescues for all breeds of dogs on the internet in your State), so I am ready to pay whatever is needed.

Teddy's health coverage is $44 a month because of a pre-existing Thyroid condition. Some operations go into the thousands. Teddy is covered by Healthy Paws Insurance which is run by a non-profit pet owners foundation. You may use the licensed vet or your choice. Dogs and cats under six years old with no preexisting conditions run about $30 a month.

HealthyPawsBanner_300x250_Dog.jpg

Good to read.

Dogs and cats adopted from shelters are actually cheaper than "free to good home" pets because they have usually been altered, vacc'd and vetted.

Honest to gawd, I had to paws while typing this to clean up after my shelter cat throwing up on the carpet. Our whole house is hardwood floors and ceramic tile. WHY do they always go to the one expensive Oriental carpet to gack on? He actually walked off the hardwood and onto the carpet.

... sigh ...

"How about a Dog Lover's Thread?"

Something I read about ten years ago suggested if a woman wants a hubby, to look for a man who loves dogs, over cats. The reason was, men who preferred dogs, would be more loyal and affectionate with a deeper capacity for loving women, than those who favored cats . :eusa_think:

Men who preferred cats over dogs were demonstrably less affectionate with women, if they indeed, liked relationships with women at all

I never forgot that and started noticing men with one or the other great little 4-paws, and came to the conclusion that the article had been accurate, as it pertained to the men I came to know.

The men who liked neither breed, as a pet, weren't good partner material at all.

Maybe things have changed and men are more comfortable having cats, they can't control, while still capable of deeply loving women. :dunno:

Men who like cats are more sensitive......smell-wise.

I prefer cats because they're cleaner and they don't chew my shoes.

Do dogs suffer from depression?

Depression in Dogs: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and More

First Paragraph. Maybe you’ve just moved, or you’ve brought home a new baby. Out of the blue, your usually energetic pooch is withdrawn and listless. Could your dog be depressed? Yes, say experts. And, depression in dogs isn’t so different from depression in people.

Last Paragraph.
“Dogs pick up on our emotions, so if the owner has died, the dog could be responding to the grief of others,” Beaver said. “Or the dog may not be getting the attention he’s accustomed to, which is stressing him out.”

article-2396570-182C10EC000005DC-658_634x417.jpg

Good post.

I've written before about a friend of mine who trains SAR, drug, cadaver dogs. After her dogs came back from SAR jobs, we used to hide real, live people for her dogs to find because if they find only dead people, they get too depressed to work.

Our own dog knows about gifts and gets sad if he doesn't get one when we're opening gifts at xmas and birthdays. We keep a stash of new dog toys so we're never without one for him. He is SO happy and tears into the paper to get to his gift - just like we do.

[MENTION=43372]Beachboy[/MENTION] - Thanks for posting about this and, have meant to say I love your signature.

diatoms.gif

Today is Diatanatious Earth day.

After an internet investigation of ways to prevent fleas and ticks, the nursery suggested Diatanatious Earth which basically kills parasites safely. Basically, it is shards of shells from the bottom of an ocean or stream. The owner of our local nursery said she had traveled to Santa Domingo and picked up a parasite. Three weeks of Diatanatious Earth in her Orange Juice and the parasite was gone.

Diatanatious Earth can be purchased on the internet for around $25 for 10 pounds delivered. If it rains on your yard, you probably will need to apply.

diatomaceous%20earth.jpg

diatoms.gif

Today is Diatanatious Earth day.

After an internet investigation of ways to prevent fleas and ticks, the nursery suggested Diatanatious Earth which basically kills parasites safely. Basically, it is shards of shells from the bottom of an ocean or stream. The owner of our local nursery said she had traveled to Santa Domingo and picked up a parasite. Three weeks of Diatanatious Earth in her Orange Juice and the parasite was gone.

Diatanatious Earth can be purchased on the internet for around $25 for 10 pounds delivered. If it rains on your yard, you probably will need to apply.

diatomaceous%20earth.jpg

Cheaper and more readily available is Twenty Muleteam Borax. Get it in the laundry aisle, made from mined borax, works extremely well. One box, about $4, treats your whole house for a year or more.

Use it the same way as diatomaceous earth, must be dry to work, run a thin line around the baseboards all of your rooms, don't put on bare floors cuz its very slippery, apply liberally between layers of animal bedding and on carpets and in any dark tight places where they lay their eggs. Never ever put it on the animal.

Its a natural desiccant, dries out the ticks/fleas, eggs and larvae. Non-toxic, safe to have around animals and kids.

If you have roaches, use boric acid. Buy small bottle at the drug store, mix it 80% boric acid with 20% bait like sugar, flour. Put it in flat lids, put the lids in the places roaches like - under the sink, near food. If even one roach walks through it, you'll kill another 250+ because roaches like to cuddle. Works the same way, desiccant that dries out the waxy coating on the exoskeleton. Works for ants too. Also non-toxic, safe around animals and kids. Less than $5. for a years worth of bait.

There's a product on the market called Roach Prufe that is exactly this formulation but costs more.

:)

wilson_hope_pink_balls.jpg

Took Teddy out for a ride to the Sporting Goods store for Tennis Balls. Teddy gets pink, (hope this does not cause him an orientation problem in later years :eusa_angel:). The pink tennis ball purchase includes a contribution by Wilson to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. My grandmother had a mastectomy in 1952.

f187ce4c4b05682e397408b841b82b06.image.300x300.jpg

Teddy and I also saw this bumper sticker when we were out, so I was going to drop four bucks for it, until I saw this one for the Jeep.

51Fi4H7tIfL._SY300_.jpg

Frankly, I have been amazed how many people have complimented us for taking a RESCUE dog. Philosophically, I agree. Teddy is a Golden Retriever, but is mixed breed with Collie and Pomeranian. Our neighbor Yolanda Sanchez could not get over Teddy's white Collie butt. While the coloring is beautiful we were not looking for a "Designer Dog," we wanted and got an All-American mutt. We have non interest in that snob breeder, "my dog has papers" crap.

Last edited:

@BDBoop This one made me laugh out loud.

LOVE IT.

Every time. Every time I see it, I laugh out loud.

To me that was the bonus for getting Teddy, constant entertainment! We bought a used couch at Goodwill ($25) and shampooed it ($30) and Teddy can sit on it to look out the front window. Sitting on Teddy's sofa is "FAMILY FUN TIME." Today marked 21 days with Teddy, and we put the oriental rugs back down. Teddy knows how to behave in the house.

@BDBoop This one made me laugh out loud.

LOVE IT.

Every time. Every time I see it, I laugh out loud.

To me that was the bonus for getting Teddy, constant entertainment! We bought a used couch at Goodwill ($25) and shampooed it ($30) and Teddy can sit on it to look out the front window. Sitting on Teddy's sofa is "FAMILY FUN TIME." Today marked 21 days with Teddy, and we put the oriental rugs back down. Teddy knows how to behave in the house.

Yep. We've got a sofa like that in the master bedroom. I'd like to get rid of it but then, where would the dog and cats stretch out in the sun?

Oh yeah - the bed.

Today is day 22 of Teddy as our dog. I went to get his license from the City, and learned that I could have his entire record. I was aware that Teddy had run away 13 times, but when I saw the actual record I was sad, and then angry at the previous owner. If I ever find out who Teddy's owner was, I will say nothing, and lead with my left.

Below are the dates Teddy was found and put in the shelter. As I type out each date, I will be thinking about the abuse Teddy suffered that made this wonderful dog run. Why does a dog or a teenager run from a home? It does not require a four year degree to figure this out. Something was wrong in the home.

12/15/2009, (weight 30 pounds)
12/17/2009
1/17/2010
1/25/2010
2/14/2011
4/6/2011
11/12/2011
11/14/2011
1/26/2013
3/19/2013
3/24/2013
3/3/2014
3/9/2014 (Overweight at 106 pounds)

The record shows that the previous owners paid over $600 on shelter holds. Four citations were given at a cost of about $400, and finally Teddy was taken away form the owners on 3/9/2014 and placed with Golden Retriever RESCUE under court order. Now in my name Teddy gets a fresh start. How could anyone abuse this amazingly smart and warm dog. Today, I am not going to post anything else because I have nothing more to say except that Teddy will NEVER have a reason to run from us.

Golden_July_4.jpg
sad_funny_gif_baby_picture.gif

Last edited:

You get the Top Dog award from me!

top_dog_award_logo.png

Teddy has only be with us for 23 days from Golden Retriever RESCUE. We were told by the RESCUE people to watch out because Teddy knows how to open a refrigerator door, and serve himself.

While a wild rub on the tummy is his favorite thing. This Retriever has me doing something, I would never have believed I would do. The game is called "Dog with a ball."

Teddy loves tennis balls, and he likes to wait until I am in the Lazy Boy to flaunt his trophy ball in my face. When I go for it, he will turn his head away or down so I can not touch it. Then the only way I can get the ball is to carefully put both my hands in his mouth, and push it out of his teeth with both forefingers.

Now, some will say I am crazy to stick my hands into those big teeth. But, what I know is that Teddy has 200 years of breeding to find a hunter's bird and return it to the owner with no teeth marks. Just think a moment at the, breeding skill and training it takes for him to do that?

Before we had Teddy, the neighbors had a Labrador that used to put her paws up on the fence to get attention. One day we played a little too rough, and Lola's teeth went up around my windpipe, and she backed off. I don't mind telling you I was shook up.

When her owner, Carlos, came home I told him what had happened. He said it happened all the time, it was part of why he had a lab. However, he said, don't do that with any other dog, especially a pit bull. By city ordinance, Pit Bulls are banned in our community.

What I call "Dog with a ball," is the modern day way for Teddy to do what he was bread to do. You can tell he is proud when he wins, (it's the tail). And, we play for keeps. I have never had a scratch from "Dog with a ball." We play at least a half dozen times a day. In fact we played while I was typing this. Whoops! forgot to wash the dog off my hands!

Beebee-DG1158.jpg

Golden's love the water, hoses, sprinklers you name it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back