Houston Needs To Unpave

I am aware that Harvey sat in place for a long time. We are all aware as it led our local and national newscasts every day for over a week.

I will not say and have not said that global warming has caused any particular storm. I will say that global warming is increasing the odds for storms with more precipitation and higher winds. Therefore, as I just said a couple posts ago, the odds for another Harvey like storm have increased due to global warming. I know it's about as subtle as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but try to keep up, eh?

Tropical Storm dropped more rain than any Hurricanes that ever hit the Houston area, except Harvey, which was in 1979.

Harvey rainfall total was a product of stalling, the moisture was PULLED in from the Gulf of Mexico way more than usual, that is what drove up the totals.

Your infatuation on climate change without evidence is evident that you run on bullcrap.

I am aware that Harvey sat in place for a long time. We are all aware as it led our local and national newscasts every day for over a week.

I will not say and have not said that global warming has caused any particular storm. I will say that global warming is increasing the odds for storms with more precipitation and higher winds. Therefore, as I just said a couple posts ago, the odds for another Harvey like storm have increased due to global warming. I know it's about as subtle as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but try to keep up, eh?

Get back with us in ten years.

AOC sez we'll all be dead in 13 years from something.

I would rather die from global warming than global freezing. When it's cold my Johnson shrinks to a nub.

Tropical Storm dropped more rain than any Hurricanes that ever hit the Houston area, except Harvey, which was in 1979.

Harvey rainfall total was a product of stalling, the moisture was PULLED in from the Gulf of Mexico way more than usual, that is what drove up the totals.

Your infatuation on climate change without evidence is evident that you run on bullcrap.

You're off a bit.
Harvey happened in 2017.
Harvey sat on the coast due to a high and low pressure system that trapped the storm over Houston.
We got a years rainfall in three days,which is around 55 inches.

I would rather die from global warming than global freezing. When it's cold my Johnson shrinks to a nub.

Living in Texas...
Hang Low and to the left all year long.

Living in Texas...
Hang Low and to the left all year long.

Living in Ft. Worth...
Hanging low enough to trip over it. In the summertime, that is...

You're off a bit.
Harvey happened in 2017.
Harvey sat on the coast due to a high and low pressure system that trapped the storm over Houston.

I meant Tropical Storm Allison which was in 2001, NOT 1979:

RECORD RAINS: Tropical Storm Allison compared to Hurricane Harvey, by the numbers

Tropical Storm Claudette 1979 also badly flooded East Texas:

"Texas[edit]
Claudette produced torrential rains in both Texas and Louisiana when it made landfall. The highest one-day total was reported near Alvin, Texas where 42 inches (1,100 mm) of rain fell. This remained as the highest twenty-four-hour rainfall record for any location in the United States until April 14-15, 2018 when 49.69 inches (1,262 mm) of rain fell in 24 hours in Waipā Garden, Kauai, Hawaii.[6] Two other towns also reported rainfall totals exceeding 30 inches.[7] There was only one death from drowning and Louisiana received only minor damage from up to 15 inches (381 mm) of rainfall.[8] Texas was hard hit by Claudette, with flooding reported in southeast Texas from up to 45 inches (1143 mm) of rainfall. Many residents had to be rescued from low-lying areas that were flooded.[9]"

bolding mine

LINK

Last edited:
Hurricane Harvey was in 2017, not 1979. I don't think they were using male names yet in 1979. Harvey is tied with Katrina as costliest storm. From Wikipedia:

In a four-day period, many areas received more than 40 inches (1,000 mm) of rain as the system slowly meandered over eastern Texas and adjacent waters, causing unprecedented flooding. With peak accumulations of 60.58 in (1,539 mm), in Nederland, Texas, Harvey was the wettest tropical cyclone on record in the United States. The resulting floods inundated hundreds of thousands of homes, which displaced more than 30,000 people and prompted more than 17,000 rescues.

It appears that Claudette had the highest one-day total but I suspect Harvey has some sort of record for the total amount of rainfall dropped in the larger area he covered during his extended visit.

Last edited:

You're off a bit.
Harvey happened in 2017.

I meant Tropical Storm Allison which was in 2001, NOT 1979:

RECORD RAINS: Tropical Storm Allison compared to Hurricane Harvey, by the numbers

Tropical Storm Claudette 1979 also badly flooded East Texas:

"Texas[edit]
Claudette produced torrential rains in both Texas and Louisiana when it made landfall. The highest one-day total was reported near Alvin, Texas where 42 inches (1,100 mm) of rain fell. This remained as the highest twenty-four-hour rainfall record for any location in the United States until April 14-15, 2018 when 49.69 inches (1,262 mm) of rain fell in 24 hours in Waipā Garden, Kauai, Hawaii.[6] Two other towns also reported rainfall totals exceeding 30 inches.[7] There was only one death from drowning and Louisiana received only minor damage from up to 15 inches (381 mm) of rainfall.[8] Texas was hard hit by Claudette, with flooding reported in southeast Texas from up to 45 inches (1143 mm) of rainfall. Many residents had to be rescued from low-lying areas that were flooded.[9]"

bolding mine

LINK

Yeah,the one Alvin was unreal.

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the landfall of Hurricane Harvey, tied with Hurricane Katrina for the most damage done ($ 125 Billion) in US history. Harvey also resulted in 68 deaths (directly) + 39 more indirectly. (40 - 60 in of rain)

While this is not the only cause, the paving over of soft ground contributed greatly to the flooding.
Houston has seen rapid urban development, with absorbent prairie and wetlands replaced by hard surfaces which rapidly shed storm water, overwhelming the drainage capacity of the rivers and channels.Between 1992 and 2010, almost 25,000 acres of wetlands were lost, decreasing the detention capacity of the region by four billion gallons. However, Harvey was estimated to have dropped more than fifteen trillion gallons of water in the area.

The Katy Prairie in western Harris County, which once helped to absorb floodwaters in the region, has been reduced to one quarter of its previous size in the last several decades due to suburban develpment, and one analysis discovered that more than 7,000 housing units have been built within the 100-year floodplain in Harris County since 2010.

If somehow Houston could unpave all this paving, it would be a lot better off. Here comes September. Oh boy.

Unpaving is not enough when all those houses still sit in what used to be their wetland. You have to move the people out of them if you want to mitigate the risk.

Unpaving is not enough when all those houses still sit in what used to be their wetland. You have to move the people out of them if you want to mitigate the risk.
Nobody claimed it would be "enough" (ie a TOTAL solution)

Paving isn't always a good answer. Up here, paving roads requires constant re-paving because when it freezes-thaws the paved roads craze and crumble. But, I have no doubt that the businesses that win the state contracts to keep repaving roads are "special" and somehow related to the state officials who award those contracts. Better to grade them after break-up and just before winter sets in.
Maybe all the liberals who are totally in love with "studies" (especially the ones from liberal universities, think tanks, and media) ought to do a study on the relationship between the businesses that win the state contracts to keep repaving roads, and the state officials who award those contracts.

Nobody claimed it would be "enough" (ie a TOTAL solution)

you claimed they would be a a "lot better off". there is no indication that would be any better off when faced with a hurricane. all those houses sit in where the storm water used to be directed toward. In addition, their entire storm water system would have to be completely revamped. IIRC it was built with minimum cost in mind, not maximizing capacity or efficiency. They built it on the cheap for normal rain events, not hurricanes. There are arguments both ways on why that may or may not be the best decision long term, though. My city got smacked to the ground by Hurricane Michael, but that is a once every 50 year event for us so in the end, it makes more economical sense to build for the 49 year events and just deal with the other year event as they happen. Probably not much solace for the families of the people who died in the storm or lost their homes, but that is life.

Paving isn't always a good answer. Up here, paving roads requires constant re-paving because when it freezes-thaws the paved roads craze and crumble. But, I have no doubt that the businesses that win the state contracts to keep repaving roads are "special" and somehow related to the state officials who award those contracts. Better to grade them after break-up and just before winter sets in.
Maybe all the liberals who are totally in love with "studies" (especially the ones from liberal universities, think tanks, and media) ought to do a study on the relationship between the businesses that win the state contracts to keep repaving roads, and the state officials who award those contracts.
Especially when the roads crumble and craze every season due to ground changes, permafrost, and other location specific differences. In most locations, leaving roads unpaved and grading them makes the most sense, at least to people who live here all year.

Forum List

Back