Houston elects first openly gay mayor

Galveston has reciprocated by announcing a mid summer tongue taster festival.

☭proletarian☭;1803475 said:
☭proletarian☭;1803467 said:
Why are people concerned with whether she's a rugmuncher or not?

Religion.

sounds like a pretty stupid reason to distract from her responsibilities as mayor and what she plans to do about any issues the city is facing

Religion is stupid in and of itself. So of course it's a stupid reason.

Being gay doesn't mean she will be a good mayor. But considering how talented so many gays seem to be, it's probably a good start.

I bet she will have lots of Republicans who want her to "fail". Republicans are good at "fail". Either they do it or they want others to do it. What they need is to learn how to "succeed", but I suspect at that, they will "fail".

Oh gee another stereo type all gays are so talented and artistic.

I don't care who she does what with in the privacy of her own home. And it may well be that other things mattered more in this election than her being a lesbian. Where does she stand on immigration and a host of other issues likely had more to do with it than her sexual preference.

Houston - Annise Parker, a lesbian who has never made a secret or an issue of her sexual orientation, on Saturday was elected mayor of Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city.

With the victory, Parker, 53, will become the first openly gay mayor of such a large American city. The population of the Texas city is about 2.2 million.

They'd rather have a lesbian white woman than a black man. :lol:

And I should care because? All this goes to show is that the story that gays are a persecuted lot in this country is nothing but a myth.

☭proletarian☭;1803496 said:
So they celebrate by focusing on it and making it the issue?
The LATimes wrote this article...it wasn't an issue in the election at all.

Really?

The fiercely contested battle leading up to Saturday's balloting was marked by anti-gay rhetoric.

Key Gene Locke backers gave to anti-gay group | Chronicle | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The finance chairman and a finance committee member of Gene Locke's mayoral campaign helped bankroll the conservative political action committee that sent out an anti-gay mailer targeting City Controller Annise Parker and other municipal candidates earlier this month, according to Texas Ethics Commission documents.

Mailer:

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef012876403a73970c-pi

Email:

http://towleroad.typepad.com/files/parkeremail2.jpg

Anti-gay rhetoric rises in race for Houston mayor | National news | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my God--You mean that all those "right-wing" religious nut-case Republicans elected a Lesbian mayor?--:lol::lol: In Houston TEXAS?--home of the Republican party--:lol::lol: This lesbian has got to be very conservative to win in Houston Texas--another misnomer theory of liberals. "That all gays are liberals." That one just went out the window--:lol::lol:

I guess this dispells alot of the liberal points of view about Republicans being anti-gay. In fact Criss, I am surprised as HELL that you even posted this thread--:lol::lol:

You really are ignorant. While Texas as a whole is a Republican stronghold, the city of Houston is not. Houston's last Republican mayor left office in 1982.

sounds like a pretty stupid reason to distract from her responsibilities as mayor and what she plans to do about any issues the city is facing

Well, of course it shouldn't matter what her sexual orientation is. However, considering the obstacles that people before her had faced, of course this is big to many.

Incorrect. This is deflection. Is she qualified to be mayor of a city or not? THAT is the issue. You left-weenies just try to put words in others' mouths' projecting rhetoric.

Obviously if this was such an issue with the right, she wouldn't have won on a GOP ticket. The facts speak for themselves.

Religion.

Being gay doesn't mean she will be a good mayor. But considering how talented so many gays seem to be, it's probably a good start.

I bet she will have lots of Republicans who want her to "fail". Republicans are good at "fail". Either they do it or they want others to do it. What they need is to learn how to "succeed", but I suspect at that, they will "fail".

Each of your posts gets dumber and dumber. I'd put you on ignore if you didn't provide me with daily laughs.

Religion.

and the village has lost another idiot...rdean please report yourself to the nearest police precinct.

☭proletarian☭;1803496 said:
☭proletarian☭;1803490 said:
The real victory for the Gay Rights crowd will be when the Gay Rights crowd doesn't exist because people stop making such a big deal out of it (same for the Race Pride/Power/Empowerment bullshit).
This is precisely why it is such a victory...in the heart of Republicanland, her sexuality didn't matter.

So they celebrate by focusing on it and making it the issue?

I don't follow. Counter the idiocy on the other side and then focus on the policies. Stop making it an issue; else you're really no different than the opposition.

Who is celebrating? All I see is a couple of letwinggoobs acting as if THEY won something, oblivious to the point the facts are making fools of them.:lol:

Religion.

You are stupid in and of yourself and couldn't put together a coherent thought if someone wrote down for you with the fat crayons.:eusa_eh:

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my God--You mean that all those "right-wing" religious nut-case Republicans elected a Lesbian mayor?--:lol::lol: In Houston TEXAS?--home of the Republican party--:lol::lol: This lesbian has got to be very conservative to win in Houston Texas--another misnomer theory of liberals. "That all gays are liberals." That one just went out the window--:lol::lol:

I guess this dispells alot of the liberal points of view about Republicans being anti-gay. In fact Criss, I am surprised as HELL that you even posted this thread--:lol::lol:

You really are ignorant. While Texas as a whole is a Republican stronghold, the city of Houston is not. Houston's last Republican mayor left office in 1982.

You have a point? Or just running your suck with nothing to say ....

Each of your posts gets dumber and dumber. I'd put you on ignore if you didn't provide me with daily laughs.

I must be jaded to his ilk. He and those like him should have both their voter registration card sand internet access revoked to minimize the stupidity they attempt to misguide others with.

You have a point? Or just running your suck with nothing to say ....

I'm saying his premise is pretty faulty. Just because Texas is heavily Republican doesn't mean that Houston is. Just like how Georgia is a Republican stronghold, but the city of Atlanta surely isn't.

Forum List

Back