Housing Bubble... Redux

Most Americans certainly did not think a bursting of the housing bubble was inevitable. I had many, many conversations with Americans on the housing market in the mid-00s, and the denial was staggering. Even most of those who thought it might be a bubble thought prices wouldn't collapse because they hadn't since the 1930s, and nobody could conceptualize another Great Depression.

The CRA causing the housing bubble is utterly ridiculous and nothing but blinkered ideological hackneyed pap. If you believe in the efficacy of markets, there is no way the CRA could have caused the crisis, which is ironic, because it is usually the dogmatic free market ideologues who most often make the argument. If you believe markets are the most efficient and best way to allocate resources in the economy, then by that logic, we should have seen the biggest affects in the CRA areas. We should have seen the biggest housing increases followed by the biggest declines, and subsequently the highest amount of defaults in the CRA areas. But that did not happen. In fact, the opposite happened.

No doubt the GSEs played some role in the housing crisis - being that they were 40% of the housing market, how could they not? They did lead to a decline in credit standards. The problem for the dogmatic, free market ideologues, though, is that GSE conforming loans did better than non-GSE non-conforming loans. Conforming loans had fewer defaults than non-conforming loans, and house prices funded by conforming loans did not rise nor fall as much as non-conforming loan. IOW, even if you accept "the GSEs are responsible" meme, the free market then took the lowering of credit standards to orders of magnitude higher as non-GSE lenders through all sense out the window and loosened credit much greater than the GSEs ever did.

We're creating... an ownership society in this country, where more Americans than ever will be able to open up their door where they live and say, welcome to my house, welcome to my piece of property. - President George W. Bush, October 2004.

Most Americans certainly did not think a bursting of the housing bubble was inevitable. I had many, many conversations with Americans on the housing market in the mid-00s, and the denial was staggering. Even most of those who thought it might be a bubble thought prices wouldn't collapse because they hadn't since the 1930s, and nobody could conceptualize another Great Depression.

The CRA causing the housing bubble is utterly ridiculous and nothing but blinkered ideological hackneyed pap. If you believe in the efficacy of markets, there is no way the CRA could have caused the crisis, which is ironic, because it is usually the dogmatic free market ideologues who most often make the argument. If you believe markets are the most efficient and best way to allocate resources in the economy, then by that logic, we should have seen the biggest affects in the CRA areas. We should have seen the biggest housing increases followed by the biggest declines, and subsequently the highest amount of defaults in the CRA areas. But that did not happen. In fact, the opposite happened.

No doubt the GSEs played some role in the housing crisis - being that they were 40% of the housing market, how could they not? They did lead to a decline in credit standards. The problem for the dogmatic, free market ideologues, though, is that GSE conforming loans did better than non-GSE non-conforming loans. Conforming loans had fewer defaults than non-conforming loans, and house prices funded by conforming loans did not rise nor fall as much as non-conforming loan. IOW, even if you accept "the GSEs are responsible" meme, the free market then took the lowering of credit standards to orders of magnitude higher as non-GSE lenders through all sense out the window and loosened credit much greater than the GSEs ever did.

How could one think it was sustainable? The government, business, and consumers were way over extended in the 90's. I knew and several economists and even lay people knew it was a ticking timebomb.

How could one think it was sustainable? The government, business, and consumers were way over extended in the 90's. I knew and several economists and even lay people knew it was a ticking timebomb.

I'm a money manager. I talked to economists, analysts, strategists, lenders, structured products guys, etc., and very few people thought the housing bubble would collapse. Even most of those who thought it was a bubble didn't think the fall-out would be great because they thought it was limited to subprime and they didn't think home prices would fall by much. I was at the Berkshire Hathaway AGM in 2007, and even Warren Buffett didn't think it was going to be particularly harmful to the general economy.

I will say one thing about the GSEs, in which they were totally culpable, and that's that they levered up their balance sheet to extend credit. That was insane, and shouldn't have been allowed to happen. For the partisan cheerleaders on the Right who are looking for an ideological scalp, there were efforts to stop this, but their protectors - on both sides of the aisle but mainly Democrats - blocked all efforts. In effect, the GSEs looked like the big Wall Street investment banks. And like Bear Stearns, Lehman, Merrill and Citi, the GSEs took on way, way too much debt. And like the Wall Street banks, they collapsed and were insolvent. The GSEs were even more levered than Bear Stearns and Lehman, with liabilities to equity of 50:1 and even higher intra-month, compared to 30-40:1 for Bear and Lehman.

Last edited:

Blaming the CRA for the housing crisis is stupid. Nothing in the CRA forced anyone to make bad loans. Bad loans were pushed by Wall Street, under the assumption that they could bundle them with good loans, using CDS, and recoup any loses by repossession. It was Wall Street, not CRA, that insisted on more and more mortgages be isssued. It was mortgage originators that developed schemes to convince people they could afford loans, knowing that was bullshit.

Blaming CRA is nothing more than trying to pin blame on the victims, and ignore the criminals.

So we went from a dotcom bubble, replaced it with a housing bubble and now we're creating a government spending bubble that will shatter the dollar. Keynesian economics will not go until it destroys all the wealth of the nation. Lets at least TRY to not repeat the economic falsehoods after that, please.

You forgot Big Education. That's the next bubble to burst with more than $1 trillion outstanding in student loan borrowings.

Blaming the CRA for the housing crisis is stupid. Nothing in the CRA forced anyone to make bad loans.

Yeah, they did, dumb ass. Look up CRA and "redlining" and get back to us when you're less of an ignorant fuck who doesn't know what he's talking about.

What's interesting to me is that most American knew a housing bubble burst was inevitable but Congress pointed fingers and plead surprise. It just doesn't add up..

and who ended up in jail....or kicked out of Congress...:mad:

Most Americans knew a burst was inevitable, but they kept buying and trying to flip houses. And the bankers knew it was inevitable, but they didn't try to put any curbs on the loans or trying to find suckers they could hook on a mortgage they couldn't pay off.

So it was a hypocrisy all of us engaged in, really. People bought high because they wanted to have a house right now. They didn't wait until prices dropped a bit.

Dropped a bit, a tad, a smidge?

Most who invest in real estate on the low end are losers personified. They believe that no matter what they do, the price must go up.:cuckoo:

Most fools are now stuck with shot gun shacks priced in 6 figures that they will never be able to dump. Everyone went for the ride.

I blame Joe Q Public for being freaking morons as much as I blame the powers that be.

I guess you can.

But you know, there is a whole lot of incentive to buy houses as opposed to renting. The government wants everyone to buy a house, we call it "the American Dream", and so on.

If we gave the same tax break for renters we give to mortgage holders, thereprobably wouldn't be an incentive to buy more house than you need on the hope of getting a bigger tax break and then flipping it.

Blaming the CRA for the housing crisis is stupid. Nothing in the CRA forced anyone to make bad loans.

LOL

You could of course just opt to go out of business.

You're making no sense. The CDS fiasco was based on a martingale scheme. It assumed that mortgages could be given, repackaged, and sold to idiots as safe investments, before the bubble burst.

Forum List

Back