Household electricity bills skyrocket

A funny "water" story- just to interject a bit of jocular brevity...

We rented a farm house for 15 years, drawing our water from an old well behind the house. After 5 years the well went dry. I figured water can't be that expensive (it's not) so I hired a local guy to bring a load from the city tap and dump it down the hole. Yes, water is quite cheap- but getting it to where you want it is quite expensive. I ended up spending $200/month to keep that well filled at a time when I was damned broke.

Soon, the county ran a fresh water line along the road near our house. I called the landlord and implored him to tap into it. He said he's not paying the $2,000 fee. End of that part of the story.

So after a few months, I remembered another well not too far from the house. I went and checked the pump- still working. So I bought a 100 ft. roll of plastic 1" piping and dumped that water into the well behind the house.

Stay with me here- it gets better. :D

This water was a bit darker and stinkier and I realized the origin well was located in an old barn lot where they used to graze cattle. So I took a sample and sent it to the local water district to be analyzed. Two days later they called me back and told me that I may as well be using water from an outhouse- the choliforms were off the chart.

That's when I called the landlord. I told him I couldn't afford to keep dumping fresh water into the well, and that other well was full of cow shit.

So... he arranged to have a new water well drilled. At the cost of.... $2,000.

The end.

Gas, utility bills, heating oil. It's all going up under the radical green agenda. What's the democrat party solution? Go Green?

I live in texas our electricity co is a co.op
it runs about $110 - $200 in the summer and it was a very hot long summer
about $50 -75 in the winter
gas is nothing average less then $ 30 per month
a 2000 sq ft home
no kids to keep opening the doors .

Didn't Obama say that closing down coal plants would "necessarily cause energy costs to skyrocket"?
Love that word "Necessary" tucked in there.

What's necessary again about spiking my electricity prices?

Oh yeah, so he could have lined his pocket with the Chicago Carbon Credit Exchange he was part owner in

a 2000 sq ft home
You should live in Australia,EVERY 3 MONTHS POWER(ELECTRICITY BILL $450-$650 THATS OVER $2500 per year) OUR GAS(PETROL) is at present $1.48 per litre,so you are better off than us by a country mile:cool:.just saying. tl

a 2000 sq ft home
You should live in Australia,EVERY 3 MONTHS POWER(ELECTRICITY BILL $450-$650 THATS OVER $2500 per year) OUR GAS(PETROL) is at present $1.48 per litre,so you are better off than us by a country mile:cool:.just saying. tl

No offense but I don't give a damn about Austrailia but it seems that democrats are determined that Americans be punished for all those years of decadence with big cars, cheap gas and warm homes.

Use less. Exercise your rights as a consumer, vote with your electrical use, or lack thereof. And stop whining, this is America, nobody promised you cheap electricity as a birthright.

Use less. Exercise your rights as a consumer, vote with your electrical use, or lack thereof. And stop whining, this is America, nobody promised you cheap electricity as a birthright.
as a consumer, I have the right to use as much as I want.

As a believer in a competitive market place, there should not be geographic monopolies, affording me a choice to buy from another source who may be cheaper.

As a citizen, I should have elected officials trying to make my ability to live life the way I best see fit, EASIER, not harder.

How about you do with less breathing and save the oxygen for the rest of us sentient creatures?

:lol:
$1,500 a year.
Folks spend more than that on cable TV/Internet, eating in restaurants, going to movies, buying food for pets, watering their freakin' lawns.

My lowest bill of the year is about 110 and my highest about 220.

We spend 45/month on internet - have no cable.
Not sure what we spend on eating out but if its more than 150 a month - that's too much.
Going to movies? Last movie I saw in a theatre was like 5 years ago.
Pet food - may rival the cost, but we have an 80 lb weimeraner/german shepard mix and a 40 lb mut and 2 cats.
Watering the lawn? Why the fuck would I do that? God does it for free.

:lol:
$1,500 a year.
Folks spend more than that on cable TV/Internet, eating in restaurants, going to movies, buying food for pets, watering their freakin' lawns.

My combined utilities are almost half what they've been over the last 2 years. Not because of electricity costs, but because natural gas is 1/3 what it had been.

But $1,500 for an entire year's worth of electricity for an average household? That's peanuts.

I agree, 1,500 is nothing. We run about $300-350 a month. However our firends in the summer is around $800.

Jesus Christ, where the hell do you people live?? My water and electric bills are on one bill and it averages around $150 a month in the summer time and about $105 in the fall/winter. And my bills have stayed fairly consistent year to year.

Our electricity also averages about 150 a month - and we live in Louisiana where its hot as fuck in the summer.

I dunno how the fuck anyone has an $800 electricity bill for a home unless they are just wasting it.

Fascism is lovely...........especially since murkins can't see it.
You could nationalize the energy sector but that would activate the "S" word:eek:, which you've been brainwashed to run away from like a spitting cobra.:cuckoo:

People in Maine are informed that starting Jan 2012 our electic rates will DECREASE by 6%.

Love reading the whining on this thread. Come on, lazy, dumb asses. If you think you pay too much for electricity, then make do something about it. Many options. Natural gas fuel cells that are spendy up front, but cut your bill down to a fraction of what it was. Solar. How about using less, via LEDs, energy efficient appliances, and insulating the hell out of that old house?

So funny to see the very people damning LEDs and CFCs whining about the fact that they use too much energy. Don't use it, you don't have to pay for it.

Another point, while too expensive at present, the cost of EVs will drop like a rock as better and cheaper batteries come on line. Then you have a very large battery backup system for you home if the power fails. And if you have solar, you can be grid parrallel, and with the EV, also have all of the benefits of being grid independent.

I agree, 1,500 is nothing. We run about $300-350 a month. However our firends in the summer is around $800.

Jesus Christ, where the hell do you people live?? My water and electric bills are on one bill and it averages around $150 a month in the summer time and about $105 in the fall/winter. And my bills have stayed fairly consistent year to year.

Our electricity also averages about 150 a month - and we live in Louisiana where its hot as fuck in the summer.

I dunno how the fuck anyone has an $800 electricity bill for a home unless they are just wasting it.

They live in Plano TX. It did not appear to me as if they waste electricity.... but that was what the bill that month was when she opened the bill.

My quarterly water bill is between 110 and 150 bucks. My monthly electric is around 60-90. Then again, I live within 100 miles of 2 nuclear power plants and dozens of natural gas plants, 2 big fucking wind farms (I hate those wastes of space) and a few coal plants. City lights and power are taken care of by a series of small hydro electric dams too.

So I'm in a power cornucopia and have never experienced a brown out. I guess WI was smart to build big in energy back before the eco-fascists made it untrendy to supply basic infrastructure needs.

Duke Energy says the rate increase is needed to pay for replacing old power plants and making the transmission system more reliable. The Charlotte-based utility has reached a tentative agreement with North Carolina to raise rates 7.2% in February, lower than its original 17% request.

"The industry as a whole is facing higher costs because we're retiring our aging fleet" of power plants, says Duke Energy spokeswoman Betsy Conway.

The OP obviously failed to read his cited article, as cost increases have nothing to do with Obama or ‘libs.’

It has everything to do with the knuckleheads that went and bought out all the stocks of incandescent bulbs!!! :badgrin:

a 2000 sq ft home

No offense but I don't give a damn about Austrailia but it seems that democrats are determined that Americans be punished for all those years of decadence with big cars, cheap gas and warm homes.
Well that's as maybe Whitehall,but it is a measure of things to come in the US,maybe. tl

Forum List

Back