Household electricity bills skyrocket

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
Obama and the libs care about the "Middle Class"?:eusa_liar:

Electric bills have skyrocketed in the last five years, a sharp reversal from a quarter-century when Americans enjoyed stable power bills even as they used more electricity.

Households paid a record $1,419 on average for electricity in 2010, the fifth consecutive yearly increase above the inflation rate, a USA TODAY analysis of government data found. The jump has added about $300 a year to what households pay for electricity. That's the largest sustained increase since a run-up in electricity prices during the 1970s.

Electricty is consuming a greater share of Americans' after-tax income than at any time since 1996 — about $1.50 of every $100 in income at a time when income growth has stagnated, a USA TODAY analysis of Bureau of Economic Analysis data found.

Greater electricity use at home and higher prices per kilowatt hour are both driving the higher costs, in roughly equal measure:

•Residential demand for power dropped briefly in 2009 but rebounded strongly last year to a record high. Air-conditioners and household appliances use less power than ever. A new refrigerator consumes half the electricity as a similar one bought in 1990. But consumers have bigger houses, more air-conditioning and more electronics than before, outpacing gains in efficiency and conservation.

"People have made a lot of money selling weight loss programs. It's the same for energy. Behavior is hard to change," says Penni Conner, vice president of customer care at NSTAR, a Boston-based utility.

•Prices are climbing, too, hitting a record 11.8 cents per residential kilowatt hour so far this year, reports the Energy Information Administration. The increase reflects higher fuel prices and the expense of replacing old power plants, including heavily polluting — but cheap to operate — coal plants that don't meet federal clean air requirements.

"Higher bills are a huge problem for low income families," says Chris Estes, executive director of the North Carolina Housing Coalition, which opposes a proposed rate hike in its state by Duke Energy. "Utilities are what people's budgets start with."

Duke Energy says the rate increase is needed to pay for replacing old power plants and making the transmission system more reliable. The Charlotte-based utility has reached a tentative agreement with North Carolina to raise rates 7.2% in February, lower than its original 17% request.

"The industry as a whole is facing higher costs because we're retiring our aging fleet" of power plants, says Duke Energy spokeswoman Betsy Conway.

Electricity cost varies widely depending on where you live. Cheapest: Northwest communities near hydropower dams — as low as 2 cents per kilowatt hour. Most expensive major utility: Consolidated Edison, supplier of New York City — 26 cents per kilowatt hour, according to EIA.

electricity.jpg

Household electricity bills skyrocket

:lol:
$1,500 a year.
Folks spend more than that on cable TV/Internet, eating in restaurants, going to movies, buying food for pets, watering their freakin' lawns.

My combined utilities are almost half what they've been over the last 2 years. Not because of electricity costs, but because natural gas is 1/3 what it had been.

But $1,500 for an entire year's worth of electricity for an average household? That's peanuts.

$1,500 a year.
Folks spend more than that on cable TV/Internet, eating in restaurants, going to movies, buying food for pets, watering their freakin' lawns.

My combined utilities are almost half what they've been over the last 2 years. Not because of electricity costs, but because natural gas is 1/3 what it had been.

But $1,500 for an entire year's worth of electricity for an average household? That's peanuts.

Were do you live? my bills are through the roof The point is energy prices are going up when they don't have do. Get it ?

$1,500 a year.

I agree, 1,500 is nothing. We run about $300-350 a month. However our firends in the summer is around $800.

Duke Energy says the rate increase is needed to pay for replacing old power plants and making the transmission system more reliable. The Charlotte-based utility has reached a tentative agreement with North Carolina to raise rates 7.2% in February, lower than its original 17% request.

"The industry as a whole is facing higher costs because we're retiring our aging fleet" of power plants, says Duke Energy spokeswoman Betsy Conway.

The OP obviously failed to read his cited article, as cost increases have nothing to do with Obama or ‘libs.’

$1,500 a year.

I agree, 1,500 is nothing. We run about $300-350 a month. However our firends in the summer is around $800.

Could be a lot less, Mine is similar for a 1500 sqft house

$1,500 a year.

Jesus Christ, where the hell do you people live?? My water and electric bills are on one bill and it averages around $150 a month in the summer time and about $105 in the fall/winter. And my bills have stayed fairly consistent year to year.

$1,500 a year.

Were do you live? my bills are through the roof The point is energy prices are going up when they don't have do. Get it ?

Illinois.

I don't fault you for bitching about your individual electric bill, but that average you quoted of $1,500 per year is quite reasonable.

Illinois has more nuclear plants than any other state. Maybe that has something to do with it.

As for energy prices going up "when they don't have to"- I submit that maybe those prices do in fact have to go up for the very reasons stated in your quoted article. Replacing aging infrastructure for example.

But while the cost of electricity is going up, the cost of natural gas, like I said, is 1//3 what it was not too long ago. That has more than offset the electricity component of my home utility bills.

I'm not happy about high electric costs either. My company purchases from a unit of Touchstone Energy- an electric co-op. I've seen my costs triple over the last ten years.
I pay $3,000 each month to do the same amount of work. I can't pass that cost along due to the nature of my business. I'm screwed.

When I lived in the country, it was nothing to fork out $500 to $600 a month during a cold winter just for propane alone. But that was several years ago. Natural gas and other gasses such as propane has gone down quite a bit. God bless the American natural gas industry.

Who says "they don't have to", YOU? Don't like how much you pay? Use less! Use none! Protest with your dollars! Surely you haven't found a right to cheap electricity somewhere in the Constitution? If so, post up! We all want to demand our rights!

$1,500 a year.

Jesus Christ, where the hell do you people live??

You may call me Mr. H. Thank you.

$1,500 a year.

Jesus Christ, where the hell do you people live?? My water and electric bills are on one bill and it averages around $150 a month in the summer time and about $105 in the fall/winter. And my bills have stayed fairly consistent year to year.

LOL.. the water bill is $200 a month.

2000 ft^2 house. $100/month electricity except when running A/C in summer, then it is $250 for July/August. $100/month natural gas heating bill November through March.

Lets hear it for abundant natural gas and cheap electricity!! Whoo Hoo!!

Last edited:
2000 ft^2 house. $100/month electricity except when running A/C in summer, then it is $250 for July/August. $100/month natural gas heating bill November through March.

Lets here it for abundant natural gas and cheap electricity!! Whoo Hoo!!

Obama's not done yet, if he's reelected expect higher bills

Well, I live in Rock Hill, South Carolina and all the utilities here are owned and run by either the City of Rock Hill or York County, so maybe that is the difference why mine is so much cheaper.

Hey- I got a letter in the mail yesterday from a company that says they'll save me 12-20% on my residential electric bill. I'll still get a bill from Ameren because they're the ones actually delivering the electricity. But this company says they can buy it cheaper and pass the cost savings along to me.

I threw it in the trash. Because I read the *.

* price savings does not include taxes, fees, administrative, and other costs associated with this offer.

In other words- it's a wash.

Don't fall for it.

Didn't Obama say that closing down coal plants would "necessarily cause energy costs to skyrocket"?

Obama's not done yet, if he's reelected expect higher bills

I don't expect my rates to go up under Obamas reign any more than they have already gone down under his reign. He doesn't sit on my local utility board, last I looked.

Forum List

Back