House votes for Christmas traditions

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Dec 15, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The House of Representatives overwhelming adopted today a Virginian's resolution to protect Christmas trees, Santa Claus, candy canes, and other symbols and traditions of Christmas.

By a vote of 401 to 22, lawmakers endorsed the "sense of the House" resolution proposed by Rep. Jo Ann Davis, R-1st District, as Congress neared its winter recess. A resolution doesn't bear the same weight as a law but it stirred sharp debate.

"Christmas has been declared politically incorrect!" Davis warned. "The push toward a neutered 'holiday' season is stronger than ever so that no one could even be the slightest bit offended."

"What really needs to be protected are not the symbols of Christmas, but rather the spirit of Christmas," said Rep. Robert C. Scott, D-3rd. That spirit demands generosity and goodwill, he said, not "mean-spirited attacks" on the needy that were contained in a recent budget bill.

Look for more on this and other stories in tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...TD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768745554

"What really needs to be protected are not the symbols of Christmas, but rather the spirit of Christmas," said Rep. Robert C. Scott, D-3rd. That spirit demands generosity and goodwill, he said, not "mean-spirited attacks" on the needy that were contained in a recent budget bill.

Perhaps someone ought to remind the Congressman that generosity involves giving one's own money to the poor, not someone else's (in this case, the taxpayer's)

I was listening to a series of economics lectures the other day. The professor said that, if savings and investment rate was only a few percentage points higher over the past several decades, our GDP would be $12 Trillion dollars as compared to $8 Trillion dollars today. That means that each year the economy would have $4 Trillion extra to spend each year.... how many poor people can you feed and clothe with even 1% of that ($40 Billion)?

I'd like to add that I found it interesting that, although the lectures were recorded during the Clinton years the professor advocated privitizing Social Security (imagine that) as a way of increasing savings and investment....

If you truly want to help the poor, increase savings and investment, reform the Social Security system, cut taxes on investment and savings....

P.S. In addition, during another lecture he noted that countries with higher GDPs tend to have cleaner environments than poor countries. That is because they can afford to keep their environments clean (think about recent ecological disasters, they all happened in Third World countries)... so if you want to keep the environment clean, improve the savings rate....

The best way to combat poverty is wealth

Great! When a 9/11 commission report comes out saying that the US is not more secure than before the 9/11 attacks, I definately want my representatives wasting their time voting on Christmas trees instead of ways to protect me from sand savages!

Wonderful!

ScreamingEagle said:
Dec 15, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The House of Representatives overwhelming adopted today a Virginian's resolution to protect Christmas trees, Santa Claus, candy canes, and other symbols and traditions of Christmas.

By a vote of 401 to 22, lawmakers endorsed the "sense of the House" resolution proposed by Rep. Jo Ann Davis, R-1st District, as Congress neared its winter recess. A resolution doesn't bear the same weight as a law but it stirred sharp debate.

"Christmas has been declared politically incorrect!" Davis warned. "The push toward a neutered 'holiday' season is stronger than ever so that no one could even be the slightest bit offended."

Look for more on this and other stories in tomorrow's Times-Dispatch.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...TD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768745554

What is the point of this? It accomplishes absolutely nothing. I mean yeah it might annoy the ACLU and other Christian haters which will mean things could get entertaining, but it serves no actual value.

Besides, the true symbol of Christmas is Jesus Christ. Which oddly enough is the one symbol they aren't protecting. I don't see them protecting naitivity scenes. They are protecting Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, or the Candy cane.

How about you pass the social security reform that you refused to do earlier this year?

How about you pass the social security reform that you refused to do earlier this year?

That would take courage, common sense, and a willingness to face facts--rare commodities among legislators in Washington whose major objective is to keep their jobs, so they are averse to riling any feathers. They'll wait until the system collapses under the weight of the "Baby Boomers" and then try to apply their famous temporary patch that they have to keep fixing until it can't be fixed anymore. Kaput!

What is the point of this? It accomplishes absolutely nothing. I mean yeah it might annoy the ACLU and other Christian haters which will mean things could get entertaining, but it serves no actual value.

Besides, the true symbol of Christmas is Jesus Christ. Which oddly enough is the one symbol they aren't protecting. I don't see them protecting naitivity scenes. They are protecting Santa Claus, the Christmas tree, or the Candy cane.

and now it is public record that congress endorses "Merry Christmas".....!

archangel said:
and now it is public record that congress endorses "Merry Christmas".....!

Maybe next year our fearless leader will be brave enough to send out Christmas cards. :dev2:

ScreamingEagle said:
Maybe next year our fearless leader will be brave enough to send out Christmas cards. :dev2:

it's not too late he could send em out now...I know he earns enough to do doubles! and hey where is mine...I voted for him...nah I'm just a peon...sigh... :cry:

Between this and the freedom fries, I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Forum List

Back