House vote on Sandy relief bill tomorrow the 15th

I left out the parts that have to do with Sandy. I don't know what the mitigation consists of, could be something we need to save money and lives in the future, could be pork. However it should be in the bill.

You have no idea what its for but you think it should be in the bill?????

At least that was the promise. I haven't seen one word about it since the beginning of the month.

Second test of the 113th House. They passed the $9.7B the 4th. Let's see if they can get 2 for 2.

Why is it we let them call it the sandy relief bill when it is literally loaded with Pork that is unrelated to Sandy? Neither party should be able to pull this BS. If Sandy relief is so important stop playing political games with it, and attaching Billions in UN-related Pork to it, then try and say look the Other side does not care about Sandy Victims when they object to the pork.

I left out the parts that have to do with Sandy. I don't know what the mitigation consists of, could be something we need to save money and lives in the future, could be pork. However it should be in the bill.

It clearly says its to prepare the coast for future storms.

"The pork-barrel feast includes more than $8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments. It also includes a whopping $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in DC.
An eye-popping $13 billion would go to “mitigation” projects to prepare for future storms.
Other big-ticket items in the bill include $207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center; $41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; $4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida; $3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center and $1.1 million to repair national cemeteries."

Obama Sandy aid bill filled with holiday goodies unrelated to storm damage - m.NYPOST.com

I'd say some of these are over the top, and some justified.

I don't know how you found this. The New York Post while supposedly established 1801 practically does not exist as a company. It is owned by Murdoch however. I tried to look up the authors, S.A. MILLER and GERRY SHIELDS. Besides having a twitter account and a facebook page they don't seem to exist.

NYP Holdings, Inc.: CEO and Executives - Businessweek
Key Executives for NYP Holdings, Inc.
Name Board Relationships Title Age
Jesse Angelo No Relationships Managing Editor --
Michael Gray No Relationships Sunday Business Editor --
David Rentas No Relationships Director of Photography --
NYP Holdings, Inc. Board Members*
Name Board Relationships Primary Company Age
There is no Board Members data available.
NYP Holdings, Inc. Executive Committees*
Committee Name Chairperson Board Relationships Members
There is no committee data available.

If it is a Inc. then it has to have a board.

If you have to cherry pick your information this hard maybe you should rethink your assumptions.

Is it your contention there is no pork in the sandy bill?

Omg

I thought you a reasonable poster. This is a ripe piece of pork just waiting to be wasted on the unknown. Perfect for fraud and bribery or extortion and kick backs.

Don't tell Fox News, but that Sandy aid bill is kosher | NJ.com
The lie of which I speak is the assertion that the Hurricane Sandy aid package now before Congress is filled with billions of dollars for projects unrelated to the storm.

This is nonsense. Thanks to the internet, anyone can find the original $60 billion aid package online. Poring through its 73 pages shows line item after line item directly related to Sandy. The one big unrelated item, $150 million for Alaskan fisheries, was taken out of the package before the House adjourned last week without voting on it.

As for the rest of the package, a good example is the proposed federal spending to repair hurricane damage to federal buildings and vehicles. The critics call that pork. But unless Santa Claus or the tooth fairy pays to fix that damage, the federal government’s stuck with the tab.
As that Heritage report worked its way through the internet, however, commenters kept citing it as evidence of ever-more-extreme examples of out-of-control spending. By the time the telephone was handed to Fox News, the talking heads were reporting that a third of the money would be spent on non-hurricane-related pork — something Mayer never stated.
In the clip, Cavuto tells the shlub, whose name is Scott McGrath, that a third of the package goes to pork. McGrath professes to be appalled. He then goes into a rant about how FEMA has failed to fix his house and won’t reimburse him for one of his cars that was flooded.

At this point Cavuto might have said, "Wait a minute. You didn’t insure your car and you want the feds to pay for it? Yet you’re accusing other people of expecting pork from the feds?"

Instead, Cavuto again says of the aid package, "more than a third of it is going to relief areas that have nothing to do with Sandy at all." He then shows a clip of Sen. Chuck Schumer (D.-N.Y.) stating correctly that the bill would produce the exact sort of help to Staten Island that McGrath has been bellowing for. Instead of refuting Schumer, Cavuto again mouths the mantra "more than a third of it’s pork," again with no facts.

Then the laughs begin in earnest. McGrath embarks on an extended rant against people who expect free things from the government — seemingly unaware that he has just listed a lot of free things he expects from the government. For good measure, McGrath calls Obama "a phony liar" — for not delivering the very aid he and Cavuto have just said they do not want Congress to pass.

But then you have already decided what you want to believe. If Jesus himself came down and told you the bill was good you would go with what Fox says.

Omg

I thought you a reasonable poster. This is a ripe piece of pork just waiting to be wasted on the unknown. Perfect for fraud and bribery or extortion and kick backs.

I am, for the purpose of this argument, accepting what the article says its for. The bill is public, and open for anyone to read, if you want to know more specifics.

Omg

I am, for the purpose of this argument, accepting what the article says its for. The bill is public, and open for anyone to read, if you want to know more specifics.

How are fisheries in Alaska Related to sandy relief?

"The pork-barrel feast includes more than $8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments. It also includes a whopping $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in DC.
An eye-popping $13 billion would go to “mitigation” projects to prepare for future storms.
Other big-ticket items in the bill include $207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center; $41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; $4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida; $3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center and $1.1 million to repair national cemeteries."

Obama Sandy aid bill filled with holiday goodies unrelated to storm damage - m.NYPOST.com

I'd say some of these are over the top, and some justified.

I don't know how you found this. The New York Post while supposedly established 1801 practically does not exist as a company. It is owned by Murdoch however. I tried to look up the authors, S.A. MILLER and GERRY SHIELDS. Besides having a twitter account and a facebook page they don't seem to exist.

NYP Holdings, Inc.: CEO and Executives - Businessweek
Key Executives for NYP Holdings, Inc.
Name Board Relationships Title Age
Jesse Angelo No Relationships Managing Editor --
Michael Gray No Relationships Sunday Business Editor --
David Rentas No Relationships Director of Photography --
NYP Holdings, Inc. Board Members*
Name Board Relationships Primary Company Age
There is no Board Members data available.
NYP Holdings, Inc. Executive Committees*
Committee Name Chairperson Board Relationships Members
There is no committee data available.

If it is a Inc. then it has to have a board.

If you have to cherry pick your information this hard maybe you should rethink your assumptions.

Is it your contention there is no pork in the sandy bill?

I don't don't know any self evident truths. I try to find the truth through sources who seem to the most consistency in rational thought. I look for those who are on both sides of the issue and see who has more credibility. On this issue evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of passing the Sandy relief bill.

Omg

See line 2 of the quoted text of post #26.

Plenty of pork has been laid out in this thread. You want to deny it exists because the sites you visit didn't highlight it....fine.

I guess I'm done here. I've got no vested interest in arguing.

Omg

That was not included in the mitigation portion, and it is debatable whether that even made it into the bill they were voting on.

I've found that congressmen in general, are lazy. Too often they don't read everything they are voting on, especially if the bill is long.

I don't have an issue with breaking the relief down in to installments.

Line #1: Ya think? :D

Line #2: Why? And with everything else going on it getting the whole thing passed with take to the 115th congress. The economy is though enough as it is. There is no help for the businesses which got hit by Sandy. They are just going out of business. That is just the way it is in America these days. Live with it. :mad:

I've found that congressmen in general, are lazy. Too often they don't read everything they are voting on, especially if the bill is long.

I don't have an issue with breaking the relief down in to installments.

Line #1: Ya think? :D

Line #2: Why? And with everything else going on it getting the whole thing passed with take to the 115th congress. The economy is though enough as it is. There is no help for the businesses which got hit by Sandy. They are just going out of business. That is just the way it is in America these days. Live with it. :mad:

That wasn't meant at you. Your post was just a way for me to make a statement. :cranky:<- see, I'm cranky.

House to take up Sandy relief bill at 10 a.m. EST. Live on C-SPAN, :happy-1:

Senate passed the last part of the Sandy relief bill today, $50B. All that it needs now is to signed by the President.

Forum List

Back