House still short on votes to pass bill

Did the Speaker ever consider just passing checks out on the House floor again? The Teahadists are hopeless ideologues, but maybe at least a couple could be turned that way.

Just imagine holding the line for what they were sent to do.

I understand the outrage, not turning their backs on the people that sent them.

Mark my words, this turns into a victory for the Tea Party. If the Boehner plan fails to pass, Obama will be faced with the choice of default or bypass congress. He'll choose to bypass Congress, as no rational human being actually wants the economic collapse a default will bring, and the the Tea Party gets two talking points. The first is how little respect Obama has for the Constitution and the people. The second is that Aug 2 came and went and nothing happened so Obama was using scare tactics.

There's no win here for Democrats. Boehner passes his plan and we lose, he fails and we lose.

Bumpity. :lol:

John Boehner was all over the news when I got home from work, scrounging up votes, Luke Russert was saying it would be a squeaker, everyone saying it would be so close..

Anticlimactic..

Looks like Obama will have to fix it himself, House Republicans are so useless.

But don't they look good?

Mark my words, this turns into a victory for the Tea Party. If the Boehner plan fails to pass, Obama will be faced with the choice of default or bypass congress. He'll choose to bypass Congress, as no rational human being actually wants the economic collapse a default will bring, and the the Tea Party gets two talking points. The first is how little respect Obama has for the Constitution and the people. The second is that Aug 2 came and went and nothing happened so Obama was using scare tactics.

There's no win here for Democrats. Boehner passes his plan and we lose, he fails and we lose.

Reid is waiting in the shadows with his plan

Why hasnt he called for a vote on his plan?

Boehner can't even get his own bill passed by his own party.

Why?

Because the Republican Party has moved so far to the right that it can't even support itself.

Because he knows he'd never get 60 votes. When the two extreme wings of the parties are finally shunned, it's almost a guarantee that the moderates will have to invoke reconciliation in the Senate - giving both the extreme right and extreme left a chance to vote against it.

Last edited:

Because he can't get the 60 votes he would need. Boehner's plan is the only game in town other that the bypass options or default.

That's why this is a lose/lose for Democrats. Kill Boehner's plan and you own the default. Bypass and you undermine the sense of urgency you've used to pressure the GOP. Default and you lose everything.

House GOP still short on votes - TheHill.com

:clap2:

DEFAULT BABY!

Michelle will wet her pants!

I owe you an apology. Turns out I was confused as to which vote I was watching.

Unlike many here, when I make a mistake I will admit it.

It doesnt happem often so enjoy the moment.

We all make mistakes. If I had a quarter for each of mine, I could retire....or buy Husler so Larry the pervert Flint does not pay Casey Anthony to pose nude.

A little mixed commentary there! Thanks for the moment...

Because he can't get the 60 votes he would need. Boehner's plan is the only game in town other that the bypass options or default.

That's why this is a lose/lose for Democrats. Kill Boehner's plan and you own the default. Bypass and you undermine the sense of urgency you've used to pressure the GOP. Default and you lose everything.

Couldnt' agree more.

I think if Boener adds a BBA to his plan the TP folks will go for it. Of course it doesn't matter what the bill has in it Reid isn't going to let the Senate address any part of it.

All I've seen Reid do is kill anything the House sends his way. No debate, no vote. Just DOA.

I wonder how long these Clowns will continue to play games??

Couldnt' agree more.

I think if Boener adds a BBA to his plan the TP folks will go for it. Of course it doesn't matter what the bill has in it Reid isn't going to let the Senate address any part of it.

All I've seen Reid do is kill anything the House sends his way. No debate, no vote. Just DOA.

Anything with the BBA is dead on arrival. There won't be a vote on it. It's a moronic idea anyways. Sometimes you have to run a deficit, such as in the face of war or natural disaster. That means any such amendment would have to have a condition for bypass, which would negate the amendment out of the gate.

Boehner got the House to pass his plan with it, but it's was guaranteed it was dead on arrival in the Senate, and with good reason.

At this point I think Obama bypasses Congress or we default. That's all that's left.

Couldnt' agree more.

Anything with the BBA is dead on arrival. There won't be a vote on it. It's a moronic idea anyways. Sometimes you have to run a deficit, such as in the face of war or natural disaster. That means any such amendment would have to have a condition for bypass, which would negate the amendment out of the gate.

Boehner got the House to pass his plan with it, but it's was guaranteed it was dead on arrival in the Senate, and with good reason.

At this point I think Obama bypasses Congress or we default. That's all that's left.

Why cant they just print money out of thin air like they did with QE 1@2

Which is appropriate considering the fact the House bill was not composed or submitted in good faith; the bill was drafted with the intent to fail in the Senate.

Correct. The amendment is the proverbial ‘poison pill,’ it has nothing to do with debt reduction or raising the debt ceiling.

Couldnt' agree more.

Why cant they just print money out of thin air like they did with QE 1@2

I'm not sure what you're talking about with QE 1@2, but I do know that one of the bypass options being tossed around is minting a trillion dollar coin for deposit. Apparently there's a law that limits the amount of paper money in circulation, but not coinage. Depositing two of those at the Fed would prevent default.

Of course, you're basically printing money out of thin air to bypass default with that trick, and so you'd see massive inflation. But you'd avoid default, right?

Forum List

Back