House Republicans Pissing Away Middle-Class Tax Cut?

A 2 month extension is unworkable. It needs to be for the full year, or not at all.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...t-cannot-be-implemented-properly-experts-say/

Personally, I think it should expire, it was nothing but a gimmick.....

More than a gimmick. It was Obama's way of justifying taxing the rich and sticking to those who actually work, pay taxes and are successful. How dare they! Cut taxes for those who pay the least already so you can increase the deficit to dramatic levels, unsustainable levels, and then scream that we need to raise revenue. Well, who will we raise it from?

It's the fundamental change he promised. Spend and tax liberal. I saw this a year ago. Obama really sucked in the GOP last year. Stupid dumb dumb dumb GOP who bought this tax cut and now they are going to get hoist on their own petard.

The rich are the ones who work and pay taxes, according to you? Who paves the roads? Is that rich people? Who drives the trucks? Who teaches your kids? Who built your house? Was it Wall Street bankers? Do they check your groceries, deliver the mail, and serve your lunch?

You really need to give some credit to the 99% of working people who work because they have to, and stop with the slavish worship of the 1%, who work - if at all - only because they feel like it. They aren't the ones who built this country, they're not the ones who risk their lives defending it, and they're not the ones paying the price - the real price - for the financial recklessness of the moneyed elite in this country.

A 2 month extension is unworkable. It needs to be for the full year, or not at all.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...t-cannot-be-implemented-properly-experts-say/

More than a gimmick. It was Obama's way of justifying taxing the rich and sticking to those who actually work, pay taxes and are successful. How dare they! Cut taxes for those who pay the least already so you can increase the deficit to dramatic levels, unsustainable levels, and then scream that we need to raise revenue. Well, who will we raise it from?

It's the fundamental change he promised. Spend and tax liberal. I saw this a year ago. Obama really sucked in the GOP last year. Stupid dumb dumb dumb GOP who bought this tax cut and now they are going to get hoist on their own petard.
Agreed.

Agreed.

So you won't answer the question. I'd be embarrassed about that if I were you. What are you afraid of?

Agreed.

So you won't answer the question. I'd be embarrassed about that if I were you. What are you afraid of?

What question?

What question?

You're in agreement about ending the Bush tax cuts?

No. I'd prefer to leave the rates alone and eliminate loopholes.

My issue is simple - I don't trust the yahoos in DC to be fiscally responsible. If we give them more money (regardless of party!) , they'll just spend it all along with another 40% that they borrow. They have enough income coming in, they just spend too much. I think a top rate of 35% is fair.

In a surprise turnabout, Republicans in the House of Representatives are now pushing for a one-year extension of the payroll tax cut and have rejected a short-term compromise struck by Republicans and Democrats in the Senate during the weekend.

House Republicans initially opposed renewing the tax break, which expires on December 31, after expressing skepticism that it would boost the economy as the White House claimed.

House Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, said his chamber would vote on Monday and likely reject the Senate bill passed on Saturday, despite it having the blessing of Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Even some Senate Republicans were attacking House colleagues for opposing the two-month extension.

"The House Republicans' plan to scuttle the deal to help middle-class families is irresponsible and wrong," said Republican Senator Scott Brown.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, speaking to Reuters Insider, bluntly warned: "I do think recession odds will rise quite significantly early next year if it is not extended."

Payroll tax cut extension stuck in partisan fight | Reuters

I wonder if the Republicans haven't really changed their minds about it - if they're still against it - but don't feel like they can just come right out and say so. This would give them cover - they can say, "Hey, we TRIED to pass it - we just wanted it to be for a whole year, not just two months (or whatever)."

Did you see Obama today--no surprise--for blaming the GOP house for agreeing with him on the 1 year extension. The house passed this bill last week--sent it to the the Democrat lead senate-- they sent it back with a 2 month extension. Boehner said no--it's needs to be 1 year and sent it back to the Senate--and Harry Reid is LONG GONE. The U.S. democrat senate is no where to be found. I think they went on their Christmas break.

cartoon.reiddinghy.sf.jpg

The rich are the ones who work and pay taxes, according to you? Who paves the roads? Is that rich people? Who drives the trucks? Who teaches your kids? Who built your house? Was it Wall Street bankers? Do they check your groceries, deliver the mail, and serve your lunch?

You really need to give some credit to the 99% of working people who work because they have to, and stop with the slavish worship of the 1%, who work - if at all - only because they feel like it. They aren't the ones who built this country, they're not the ones who risk their lives defending it, and they're not the ones paying the price - the real price - for the financial recklessness of the moneyed elite in this country.

It's the top 25% that pay for everything. Not worship, just facts:
The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

The bottom 50% avg 1.85% tax rate. They aren't paying for shit yet are the loudest to complain, about everything.

The numbers don't lie, liars lie.

What question?

My issue is simple - I don't trust the yahoos in DC to be fiscally responsible. If we give them more money (regardless of party!) , they'll just spend it all along with another 40% that they borrow. They have enough income coming in, they just spend too much. I think a top rate of 35% is fair.

Completely agree. All you have to do is look at what they want. They say they want to repeal the Bush tax cuts, we can't "afford" them, they say. But then they only want to repeal them for the top 2 brackets. That only nets you 70B in taxes. The vast majority of the Bush tax cuts benefited the lower income brackets. some 330B worth. Never any mention from the left about affording those.

And they will NEVER cut an entitlement, hell they just created a new one, with 500B more in taxes which we all know will require what, 2,3. 4X the funding they planned on?

Then there's baseline budgeting which about 1% of the pop even understands. There's never a cut, Washington speak for the sheeple.

What question?

Tax cuts for the rich = fair.
Tax cuts for working folks = gimmick.

10 days the middle class is going to have a big tax increase. Part of the GOP strategy of redistributing the wealth to the top 1% where they feel it belongs.

This should just about completely clear up where the republicans priorities lie. It's obviously not for helping the middle class. That should be clear as can be now.

What happened to "you don't ever raise taxes during a recession?". By not extending these tax cuts they will in essence be raising taxes on all of middle class Americans. I get it though.....when they say don't raise taxes, they just meant on the rich.

The bottom 50% avg 1.85% tax rate. They aren't paying for shit yet are the loudest to complain, about everything.

as usual, you're lying by cherry-picking your data.

Payroll taxes make up 40-50% of all taxes paid to the Federal government. They're paid only on income earned from work - not from interest, dividends, capital gains, or other unearned income - and they're paid only on the first $100k or so of income. Meaning millionaires pay 0% on most of the money they make.

So why have you excluded payroll taxes? Are you pretending they're not taxes? Or are you just deliberately lying?

And of course according to Reuters, it's all the Republicans fault.

who didn't see this coming.

Well, that is because that is the way it is going to be portrayed.

In the GOP you have a party that went to the wall for the Bush Tax Cuts to the wealthiest Americans and now you have a party that is being seen as screwing the working public out of a very, very modest tax cut.

Look, in terms of Presidential politics, 30 percent of the people will vote for the GOP candidate regardless. Thirty percent will vote for Mr. Obama regardless.

The other 40 percent are what you need to go after and, as the saying goes, what the GOP is perceived as doing isn't going to "Play in Peoria."

From what I heard, however, the GOP controlled House is simply asking for a conference committee to iron out differences. To me that sounds, to borrow a phrase, fair and balanced. However, in the bottom line world we live in...the net result is that the GOP controlled House--the same one that went to the wall for the Bush Tax Cuts is causing a tax increase on the working class.

Good luck getting out of your own way in the future guys.

The median household income in the US is about $50k. If you ask anybody who makes that much (or less) you'll find out they do, in fact pay more than that.

Example:
Sales tax: 8.25%
Propery tax: ~ $5000/year
Payroll tax: 15%+ on every dollar I make.

That's before I pay one dollar of income tax.

So again, why lie? Is it that you hope people accept it without thinking?

Seriously! Do you realize that the big generous democrats and their tax cuts are also cutting desperately needed funds to social security and medicare? How will you explain those loses to the generation following this one when they come up lacking? Give as much detail as you can. Social security lost 111 billion dollars last year because of this tax cut. How many years can that go on? doyathink?

Oh, shut the fuck up! Any other time you're constantly rallying for any kind of tax cut whatsoever, and to demolish all government spending. But now, when all of a sudden it might become a reality that your government entitlement dependent ass might have to lose a few pennies, you're all in a hissy about it. I'd encourage you to go eat moth balls at this point, but i'll be my tax dollars that'll be spent on your hospital bills.

And of course according to Reuters, it's all the Republicans fault.

who didn't see this coming.

Well, that is because that is the way it is going to be portrayed.

In the GOP you have a party that went to the wall for the Bush Tax Cuts to the wealthiest Americans and now you have a party that is being seen as screwing the working public out of a very, very modest tax cut.

Look, in terms of Presidential politics, 30 percent of the people will vote for the GOP candidate regardless. Thirty percent will vote for Mr. Obama regardless.

The other 40 percent are what you need to go after and, as the saying goes, what the GOP is perceived as doing isn't going to "Play in Peoria."

From what I heard, however, the GOP controlled House is simply asking for a conference committee to iron out differences. To me that sounds, to borrow a phrase, fair and balanced. However, in the bottom line world we live in...the net result is that the GOP controlled House--the same one that went to the wall for the Bush Tax Cuts is causing a tax increase on the working class.

Good luck getting out of your own way in the future guys.

initially the Pubs didn't want the payroll tax break at all. Then they realized that exposed them for what they are - the party of liars, who want tax breaks for the rich, but not the middle-class.

So they changed course. They said, "ok, we want the tax cut, but you have to give us something in exchange" - the pipeline. So Obama changed course, and the Senate hammered out a bill that included the pipeline, and sent it to the House.

Now the Pubs in the House have changed course again, and said, "OK, we want the tax cut (even though we didn't, until we did), and we want the pipeline, but now the problem is the deal is too short."

And that's where we are. The Senate's gone, and the House Pubs are playing games. The truth is they never wanted the the payroll tax cut in the first place. They just don't have the balls to stand up and say what they really think: which is that the rich deserve tax cuts. Working folks don't.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back