House Passes 1.1 Trillion With 5,000 Earmarks? Say it Ain't So

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
Congress passed a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill. Has 5,000 in earmarks, what was Obama campaigning about earmarks?
I guess it's "Same as it always was" type of politics. Where's the change?

A $1.1 trillion spending bill laced with budget increases and more than 5,000 congressional pet projects passed the House on Thursday amid criticism from Republicans and watchdog groups.
The package — which combines six annual spending bills into one — includes $447 billion in operating expenses, with an average increase of 10%, and more than $600 billion for Medicare and Medicaid.

It was approved 221 to 202 and now moves to the Senate. No House Republicans voted for the bill, and 28 Democrats broke with their party to oppose it
Earmarks 'robust' in House $1T spending bill - USATODAY.com

And no earmarks for Republicans in it?

Just what is an earmark anyway? Considering the stimulus plan most anything in there can be considered an earmark.

And no earmarks for Republicans in it?

Just what is an earmark anyway? Considering the stimulus plan most anything in there can be considered an earmark.

I'm not going to do your homework for you, UScitizen. Look up the definition yourself, I've done it plenty of times. But, in the economical environment we're facing, with increases in debt...this ain't the time for earmarks. Also, Obama campaigned against earmarks stuck in bills like this. I guess Congress didn't get the message.
No republicans voted for the bill, but if they had earmarks in it, they are no better than the democrats.

Congress passed a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill. Has 5,000 in earmarks, what was Obama campaigning about earmarks?

A $1.1 trillion spending bill laced with budget increases and more than 5,000 congressional pet projects passed the House on Thursday amid criticism from Republicans and watchdog groups.
The package — which combines six annual spending bills into one — includes $447 billion in operating expenses, with an average increase of 10%, and more than $600 billion for Medicare and Medicaid.

It was approved 221 to 202 and now moves to the Senate. No House Republicans voted for the bill, and 28 Democrats broke with their party to oppose it

If anyone was wondering just how Nancy was able to pass her health care takeover bill, well now you know. And look...the addition of 600 billion to Medicare. Hmmm... Do they really think the public is so stupid that they won't understand that particular back door deal?

If anyone was wondering just how Nancy was able to pass her health care takeover bill, well now you know. And look...the addition of 600 billion to Medicare. Hmmm... Do they really think the public is so stupid that they won't understand that particular back door deal?

Excellent point, Vel. I'm starting to feel good about next years election, there will be some major changes going against the democrats, I believe.

Gotta agree Meister. The Dems are committing suicide with this Healthcare, Crap and Trade and the green agenda bs. I think they will be paying for it big time in the future.

earmarks.gif

You didn't address Obama's campaign promise.
What ever happened to the "Hope and Change" jingle?

Projects, known as earmarks, are inserted into annual budget bills at the request of members. Stephen Ellis of Taxpayers for Common Sense said his organization identified 5,224 earmarks in the bill worth about $3.9 billion.

3.9 billion is not chump change, BFGRN

With the economy in the state that it is, I just can't believe that Congress can't control themselves.

Why is it hard to believe? The American people won't hold them accountable for it so of course they're going to do it.

I have a question and this is a respecful question for all those who voted for President Obama keeping in mind, I have a daughter who I am very proud of who voted for President Obama as well. During the campaign, President Obama brought many young people, and old and , those of color, together on the promise of change to Washington D.C. That change included, openness, getting rid of paid lobbyists, and yes earmarks or pork spending, just to name a few. All these things I will admit to you as a Republican held great appeal to me especially someone who has long thought the DoD was in dire need of all those things. However, all that said, do you think now that the house and senate have gone on a year long spending binge for everything, from turtle tunnels, studying mice and my personal favorite is the one in SC where they used Stimulus money to hire someone to locate more Stimulus money. Does all this and with the latest thing, and the things to come, square with all those campaign promises that so many thought would finally change Washington for the better? or do you think that congress, has basically ignored the Presidents campaign promises and used his election as an excuse to ram through everything they please? I have my thoughts on the matter, and as most of you know, I am one that will tell you point blank when I say congress I make no distinction between republican or democrat, past or present.

With the economy in the state that it is, I just can't believe that Congress can't control themselves.

Why is it hard to believe? The American people won't hold them accountable for it so of course they're going to do it.

Most of the American people have no right to complain about govt spending, they have not done very well on managing their money either.

I have a question and this is a respecful question for all those who voted for President Obama keeping in mind, I have a daughter who I am very proud of who voted for President Obama as well. During the campaign, President Obama brought many young people, and old and , those of color, together on the promise of change to Washington D.C. That change included, openness, getting rid of paid lobbyists, and yes earmarks or pork spending, just to name a few. All these things I will admit to you as a Republican held great appeal to me especially someone who has long thought the DoD was in dire need of all those things. However, all that said, do you think now that the house and senate have gone on a year long spending binge for everything, from turtle tunnels, studying mice and my personal favorite is the one in SC where they used Stimulus money to hire someone to locate more Stimulus money. Does all this and with the latest thing, and the things to come, square with all those campaign promises that so many thought would finally change Washington for the better? or do you think that congress, has basically ignored the Presidents campaign promises and used his election as an excuse to ram through everything they please? I have my thoughts on the matter, and as most of you know, I am one that will tell you point blank when I say congress I make no distinction between republican or democrat, past or present.

In recent history all politicians say all kind of good stuff to get elected and then do what they please. They get away with it because of our stort term memory and being programmed by the vidiot tube/panel.

Remember Bush's promises? Not into nation building, for balanced budget, smaller govt, etc.

In recent history all politicians say all kind of good stuff to get elected and then do what they please. They get away with it because of our stort term memory and being programmed by the vidiot tube/panel.

Remember Bush's promises? Not into nation building, for balanced budget, smaller govt, etc.

So I take it by your response then that you agree that congress is bascially watering down the message for President Obama by it's spending to the point where the "Change" message looks more or less like the "Same old thing"? I'm quite well aware of the Bush Administrations negatives however as the Bush Administration is no longer in power about the only thing we can do there is to say, "oh well". However, in this case if you as a democrat feel that congress is not holding up it's end of the bargin then you can do something. Let me give you jsut one small example, it's not secret that progressives and many Democrats want healthcare reform but what perhaps is lost in all this is, so do a lot of Republicans. Do you know that had we not bailed out GM and Chrysler, to prevent bankruptcy which by the way they did anyway, and done the Stimulus which so far has failed miserably in terms of job creation then guess what, all that money spent could have been spent on a robust fix of Medicare program for everyone. Just a thought.

Most of the American people have no right to complain about govt spending, they have not done very well on managing their money either.

One of the most ignorant posts I have ever read. Thank you for taking the ignorant posts to a new height. :lol:

Last edited:

Really? Are you serious? You think it's ok for the federal government to piss away taxpayer money because.. well gee.. the public's not that good at handling their personal finances? It's no wonder this country is in the mess it's in with ideals like that being propagated. Did it occur to you that we HIRED those idiots in Washington because they were SUPPOSED to be able to handle the finances? I swear if USMB had an idiot post of the day award, your post would win it.

Forum List

Back