House panel moves to cut disaster aid ---> Think "Tornado's".

R

rdean

House Republicans moved their first two 2012 appropriations bills through committee Tuesday amid fights with committee Democrats over deep cuts to disaster aid that come as Missouri grapples with a devastating tornado.

Appropriators reported the Homeland Security and military construction spending bills to the floor after beating back Democratic amendments to restore funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and grants to fund firefighter training and assistance programs.

House panel moves to cut disaster aid - TheHill.com

Throw grandma over a cliff, but first, cut aid for Republicans living in Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas?

I don't understand the Republicans "winning strategy".

Newt called the Ryan plan "radical social engineering". Does that include cutting disaster relief? I'm not feeling a lot of "America first" here.

House Republicans moved their first two 2012 appropriations bills through committee Tuesday amid fights with committee Democrats over deep cuts to disaster aid that come as Missouri grapples with a devastating tornado.

Appropriators reported the Homeland Security and military construction spending bills to the floor after beating back Democratic amendments to restore funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and grants to fund firefighter training and assistance programs.

Throw grandma over a cliff, but first, cut aid for Republicans living in Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas?

Newt called the Ryan plan "radical social engineering". Does that include cutting disaster relief? I'm not feeling a lot of "America first" here.

Homeland Security and military construction spending bills
Has what to do with Disaster Relief? Homeland security needs to be eliminated and Military spending needs to be cut......I don't see a problem with this

Has what to do with Disaster Relief? Homeland security needs to be eliminated and Military spending needs to be cut......I don't see a problem with this

With the cuts, FEMA state and local programs would be reduced by 55 percent compared to levels for fiscal 2011, and by 70 percent compared to fiscal 2010.

As we talked about yesterday, it's hard to overstate how brutal these cuts really are. Overnight, 235 House Republicans voted to slash education, job training, environmental protections, food safety, community health centers, nuclear security, energy efficiency programs, scientific research, FEMA, Planned Parenthood, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Social Security Administration, and the Centers for Disease Control, among other things.

The projected job losses from these cuts, we learned this week, could total 1 million American workers, all of whom would be forced into unemployment, on purpose, because Republicans think it'd be good for the economy.

The Washington Monthly

Nationally, reduced funding will mean upper air observations now made twice a day might be reduced to every other day, buoy and surface weather observations that provide data for warning systems could be temporarily or permanently discontinued and there could be delays in replacing satellites, according to the release.
The union early in the process obtained impact documents that included furloughs of up to 27 days for all NWS employees, Sobien said in his letter, adding that the impact plans the union has seen so far only address measures to save $62 million, about half the total expected cut.

Weigel

Yea, good.

With the cuts, FEMA state and local programs would be reduced by 55 percent compared to levels for fiscal 2011, and by 70 percent compared to fiscal 2010.

As we talked about yesterday, it's hard to overstate how brutal these cuts really are. Overnight, 235 House Republicans voted to slash education, job training, environmental protections, food safety, community health centers, nuclear security, energy efficiency programs, scientific research, FEMA, Planned Parenthood, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Social Security Administration, and the Centers for Disease Control, among other things.

The projected job losses from these cuts, we learned this week, could total 1 million American workers, all of whom would be forced into unemployment, on purpose, because Republicans think it'd be good for the economy.

The Washington Monthly

Nationally, reduced funding will mean upper air observations now made twice a day might be reduced to every other day, buoy and surface weather observations that provide data for warning systems could be temporarily or permanently discontinued and there could be delays in replacing satellites, according to the release.
The union early in the process obtained impact documents that included furloughs of up to 27 days for all NWS employees, Sobien said in his letter, adding that the impact plans the union has seen so far only address measures to save $62 million, about half the total expected cut.

Weigel

Yea, good.

In arguing for the cuts, Aderholt pointed out the bill actually increases funding for FEMA disaster relief by $850 million once a disaster strikes compared to Obama’s budget request.

Republicans also said the grants were appropriate to cut since FEMA has been slow to pay out the money and has not done a good job in prioritizing funds.

Democrats argue the cuts would hurt local communities trying to stop terrorist attacks in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s killing, which has al Qaeda vowing revenge.
LMAO!! Ya Podunk nowhere needs to worry about terrorists

They argued the cuts imposed by Aderholt to offset the $1 billion in additional funding for flood and tornado relief could hurt nine pending applications for Energy Department loans, including from Chrysler, which on Tuesday paid back its government loans.
So umm Energy Department Loans has what to do with Disaster Relief?

I can see it now, Cali gets hit by mammoth earthquake. The Repubs in Congress won't appropriate money without cuts elsewhere. Billions of dollars needed.

Of course Cali has a lot of electoral votes compared to Missouri and Kansas. There are times when citizens need to be helped and budget constraints be dammed!

From my perspective the Republicans are guaranteeing that the next election will be a landslide for Obama and the democrats. They have alienated the poor and retired, now they are alienating the folks in the heartland of America. What happened to "government of the people, by the people, for the people...?"

Last edited:
I can see it now, Cali gets hit by mammoth earthquake. The Repubs in Congress won't appropriate money without cuts elsewhere. Billions of dollars needed.

Of course Cali has a lot of electoral votes compared to Missouri and Kansas. There are times when citizens need to be helped and budget constraints be dammed!

From my perspective the Republicans are guaranteeing that the next election will be a landslide for Obama and the democrats. They have alienated the poor and retired, now they are alienating the folks in the heartland of America. What happened to "government of the people, by the people, for the people...?"

It's become "by the companies, by the rich".

I'm afraid Democrats will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's difficult for Democrats because they are a "coalition" party. That means they have to distill the many voices down into one.

I miss the days when we were self reliant and when the Federal government tried to "help" we told them to go to hell.

I miss the days when we were self reliant and when the Federal government tried to "help" we told them to go to hell.

yep, them days are long gone. now we have a gimme gimme gimme OTHER peoples monies to bail me out, and not even a friggen thank you to go with it.

You mean when Republicans let 'em die after Katrina? You miss those days? That's sick.

Do you also miss the days that we lived in caves? You mean were there an invasion on the East Coast, we on the West Coast should admonish the people there to take care of it themselves? You people are going beyond ridiculous.

Joplin, Missouri, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and several other communities have suffered devestation usually seen only in war. As a nation, and a common people, it is our duty to do what we can for our fellow citizens. Through our private organizations as well as our government institutions on every level.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

yep, them days are long gone. now we have a gimme gimme gimme OTHER peoples monies to bail me out, and not even a friggen thank you to go with it.

Yessiree, only corperations and the very rich should be able to take from the government coffers.

We now have thousands of families that have lost their homes and every thing in those homes. Many are hurt, many have members of their families dead. But here you 'Conservatives' are, telling them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. And all the while shedding big crocodile tears for the subsidies of the mega-energy corperations. They are getting government welfare even as the pull down multi-billion dollar profits every quarter.

You are heartless bastards and bitchs.

Yessiree, only corperations and the very rich should be able to take from the government coffers.

We now have thousands of families that have lost their homes and every thing in those homes. Many are hurt, many have members of their families dead. But here you 'Conservatives' are, telling them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. And all the while shedding big crocodile tears for the subsidies of the mega-energy corperations. They are getting government welfare even as the pull down multi-billion dollar profits every quarter.

You are heartless bastards and bitchs.

and you are an idiot. AND a friggen drama QUEEN.:eusa_whistle:

As usual, you're full of shit. Comparing apples to oranges. You are a waste of oxygen.

I'm afraid Democrats will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's difficult for Democrats because they are a "coalition" party. That means they have to distill the many voices down into one.

then why do you belong to them then?......unless someone agrees with your far left bullshit you think they are Republicans....and i know many Democrats who think people who think like you should be kicked right out of their party.....you have to be a person who has very few friends Dean....i can imagine most people are glad when you leave the room....and i can see most people saying..."oh shit,look who is here"....when you arrive....your a pretty pathetic person Dean....but dont worry,no matter how much of an Ass you are....Truth and Chris and that other Dick,Midcant.....think your great....

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Rocks please.....Dean doesnt like the word God....if you say it again he will call you a Republican....im sure you will appreciate that....

Forum List

Back