House paid for? Car paid for?

How many people have their homes and car/s paid for?

Even if you have a home and car paid for can you afford to pay more taxes?

We have our house and cars paid for. What we don't have paid off is our daughters two day stay in the hospital. And you mention taxes going up--our taxes went up when our daughter, who is an uninsured contract worker for AT&T, got sick.

I'm sorry PeterS I don't understand what kind of tax you would have to pay for your working daughter's being sick. Could you expound on that?

Cars paid for - but still carrying a mortgage (4.75%). We could pay off the whole thing, but would rather invest the capital in other things. It's good to be diversified - we have a lot of equity in the house already.
Cars are paid for as is the motor home, but the house (8 bedroom with large back yard and spa) still has a 198,000 mortgage on it at 4.375%. That is enough to keep my income taxes low. Sort of a win win situation if they raise the property taxes, they can take the house from the bank for nonpayment of taxes if everything goes to hell.

As I have been warning people, government can try to take everything from you in the future. Don't discount the possibility of your water and sewage bill rising to astronomical levels. After they do that, they raise the property tax to astronomical levels. They do that to take the house away from you to add to the government wealth. Sheet like that happened during the Great Depression and it could happen again.

Cars paid for - but still carrying a mortgage (4.75%). We could pay off the whole thing, but would rather invest the capital in other things. It's good to be diversified - we have a lot of equity in the house already.
Cars are paid for as is the motor home, but the house (8 bedroom with large back yard and spa) still has a 198,000 mortgage on it at 4.375%. That is enough to keep my income taxes low. Sort of a win win situation if they raise the property taxes, they can take the house from the bank for nonpayment of taxes if everything goes to hell.

As I have been warning people, government can try to take everything from you in the future. Don't discount the possibility of your water and sewage bill rising to astronomical levels. After they do that, they raise the property tax to astronomical levels. They do that to take the house away from you to add to the government wealth. Sheet like that happened during the Great Depression and it could happen again.

It appears that if the IRS will be collecting the new government medical insurance that paid for home may no longer be yours if you can't pay the new insurance bill.

Yes my property taxes will go up but even under the most pessimistic of outlooks my inperpetutity trust will care for the taxes for at least 20 years.
the income from the farm will cover most of them.

How many realize that if you go into a medicare paid for rest home the govt can and will take your home? Even go back 5 years if you gave it to your kids and take it from them. Been this way for a while too.

Home no, car yes. I'm a bit of a wrench turner so I can take advantage of other folk's fear of used cars. Lets me own some neat things for the cost others pay to lease them for a year.

Could I pay more taxes?

Sure, life has been pretty good this last year. But do I want to pay more taxes or more for health insurance? Not really. Thank goodness we're doing something about it instead of just waiting.

I have 2 truck, van & car paid for, 4 homes paid for & farm paid for. No renters currently & all utilities on these shot up 25% in last 3 months. Property taxes & insurance have risen to sky high. When the banks or government finally evict some people so I can get some renters to pay the bills it won't be as bad. Cold weather screwed the crops for the past year & I lost big on Bio-fuel thanks to Harry Reid. Made little on ethanol. All my money I work for goes to pay taxes, utilities, insurance, & losses. I am going to need a bail-out soon if things don't improve.

We have our house and cars paid for. What we don't have paid off is our daughters two day stay in the hospital. And you mention taxes going up--our taxes went up when our daughter, who is an uninsured contract worker for AT&T, got sick.

I'm sorry PeterS I don't understand what kind of tax you would have to pay for your working daughter's being sick. Could you expound on that?

My daughter is contract labor at AT&T. AT&T is one of those companies that is sniveling about loosing billions because they are going to be required to cover all employees...like my daughter. I am paying the tax AT&T is sniveling about. And here's the question: who receives the benefit from the productivity produced by my daughter when healthy. To whose advantage is it to insure that she is healthy? And here is another question: which is easier to plan for-taxes or unexpected medical expenses?

Look, I know you think you can scare me with your 'taxes are coming, taxes are coming' but you don't. Health is something we all have to have. It is a must and anyone who thinks they aren't being taxed out the ass for it now is a complete idiot! We will never get control of this mess if we embrace status-quo. Doing nothing is no longer an option. You have a much greater chance of loosing your house to unexpected medical expenses then taxes that you know are coming and can plan for. So plan! That's how you do it. That's how I paid for my house. That's how I paid for my cars. And that is how I am going to pay my fucking taxes...if there is anything left after I pay my daughters medical expenses...

I guess you're looking for a serious answer here. So many possibilities.

We always pay cash for our cars. We bought a few new windows for our house about 5 months ago, so I guess it's not completely paid for until we finish paying them off in about 6 months. (12-month no-interest financing, 'ya know.)

Anyway, why on the Census form did the gubmit axe if your house was paid off? I guess since they control the financial system, that's a valid question. In 10 years, they'll probably ask if you own all your internal organs.

It would not surprise me if one day the enlightened running the country decide that if one's house is paid for, the owner has to pony up in taxes the amount that others are paying to make payments on their house so everyone is "paying the fair share". Thos etaxes would be earmarked to help edgakashun, but would somehow end up in the general fund and be used to remodel the offices of Senators of the majority party.

This "fair share" BS is a little annoying.

Until everyone who works is paying at least something in income tax, "fair share" means nothing.

Whoops! House and all cars paid for in full.

Last edited:
Yeah... couldn't possibly be that they're trying to get stats on the percentage of the population that has outstanding mortgages so they can get a bigger picture of the banking issue.

Nah... couldn't be. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... co-op apartment paid for in full a long time ago.

Car's leased.

Yeah... couldn't possibly be that they're trying to get stats on the percentage of the population that has outstanding mortgages so they can get a bigger picture of the banking issue.

Nah... couldn't be. :rolleyes:

Mortgages are already public record so the government can get that info any time not just every ten years.

We own our home and both our cars. But both of us are trying to start new careers, so income is limited. Having to pay more tax would be a big deal.

One of our 2 cars is paid off.

Our house isn't but the rental income it generates more than pays the mortgage.

We are considering buying the 3 acre lot next to to us and building a new house then we'll rent the apartment over the business where we are currently living.

The way I figure it the rent the business pays us plus the rent from the apartment will cover the mortgages on both properties.

I guess you're looking for a serious answer here. So many possibilities.

We always pay cash for our cars. We bought a few new windows for our house about 5 months ago, so I guess it's not completely paid for until we finish paying them off in about 6 months. (12-month no-interest financing, 'ya know.)

Anyway, why on the Census form did the gubmit axe if your house was paid off? I guess since they control the financial system, that's a valid question. In 10 years, they'll probably ask if you own all your internal organs.

It would not surprise me if one day the enlightened running the country decide that if one's house is paid for, the owner has to pony up in taxes the amount that others are paying to make payments on their house so everyone is "paying the fair share". Thos etaxes would be earmarked to help edgakashun, but would somehow end up in the general fund and be used to remodel the offices of Senators of the majority party.

This "fair share" BS is a little annoying.

Until everyone who works is paying at least something in income tax, "fair share" means nothing.

EDUCATION is always a ploy for new taxes or a lottery or redistribution of wealth schemes. Sadly, the government is the world's worst educator. For half the money they could fund each student to go to a private school and do far better than in public school. In private schools they can maintain discipline and quality of standards that can not be done in public school. When I raised my thirty children, we homeschooled the ones we were the legal parents of up to or through high school on an individual basis. If we sent them to high school it was usually for sports and my sons excelled in that area. They all graduated in the upper one percent of their class academically.

Moral to the story, education with structure is not as expensive as public education without structure. Shut down the public school system and let private schools teach our kids. In the process, we can save money and hopefully lower taxes.

House mortgage in effect.. although most of you would be thrilled to pay so little as my mortgage commands.

Truck paid off in full. (36,000 miles on the odometer)

School loans paid off in full. (took about thirty years to do it, though!)

No revolving debt.

Of course none of this much matters if the system melts down entirely, does it?

I borrowed 44 grand towards my second house at age 33, in 1987.
I paid that loan in full in 1991.
That was the only time I ever borrowed anything.

If you don't have the cash, you can't afford it.

I own my home and truck. No credit card debt and Dougar's right; if you haven't got the cash, don't buy it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back