House of Cards

I am currently into the Netflix original series, "House of Cards." Anyone else invoved in this? I find it most interesting, especailly the character of Francis Underwood as played by Kevin Spacey as well as his wife and his girlfriend.

Any thoughts or comments on this series?

I watched season 1 and enjoyed it. I need to start season 2.
You're a tad behind the curve here.

And you call yourself "danger". :slap:

I am currently into the Netflix original series, "House of Cards." Anyone else invoved in this? I find it most interesting, especailly the character of Francis Underwood as played by Kevin Spacey as well as his wife and his girlfriend.

You're a tad behind the curve here.

And you call yourself "danger". :slap:

Yes, I guess I am. I don't normally watch series. I'm more of a movie person, and my regular programs.

Over on primewire, I just finished watching 2 seasons of Harry's Law, with Kathy Bates. That was excellent. I have no idea why they cancelled such a good series after 2 seasons.

I watched one season, and it's watchable, but I did find the fact that it's all villains and no heroes to be a bit oppressive. I don't need a Pollyanna, but at least someone to root for wouldn't be too much, would it?

The first two seasons of this show were pretty interesting. Season 3 seemed lifeless in comparison.

As Tyrannus once said to Maul... "You're learning that seizing control is much easier than maintaining it."

In the case of HOC, the story about Frank Underwood seizing political power is far more interesting than the story of him attempting to maintain it.

I watched one season, and it's watchable, but I did find the fact that it's all villains and no heroes to be a bit oppressive. I don't need a Pollyanna, but at least someone to root for wouldn't be too much, would it?
But... Frank is the villain AND the hero!

It has it's hero's, but you have to look hard. The thing is, it's about powerful people. You don't get to that level in big nations by having morals and ethics. There is no one to root for. That's the point.

Freddy Hayes who owns the rib joint is a hero. That is just one example. They are inevitably minor characters. The people that wield power and influence get that way necessarily by being corrupt. THAT is the point. The more ruthless and corrupt, the more powerful.

Read some Macbeth or Machiavelli, and welcome to a better, more artistic reflection of reality. If you want fantasy, go watch the West Wing. lol

The first two seasons of this show were pretty interesting. Season 3 seemed lifeless in comparison.

As Tyrannus once said to Maul... "You're learning that seizing control is much easier than maintaining it."

In the case of HOC, the story about Frank Underwood seizing political power is far more interesting than the story of him attempting to maintain it.

I agree. When I found out that they were making a third season, I didn't think they could do much with it. I think the show has jumped the shark now. The ending of the second season was brilliantly crafted. Once he reached the top, there is no place they could go from there.

I pondered, what can they make it about? A tale of morality and doom at that point? The story is about Frank, not the nation. I thought they could make it about the country unraveling under his control. . . but then it isn't about him.

Now it seems they are making it just about him losing his grip on power, and then getting it back. But he can never, ever become, "more then president." So it's anti-climatic at this point.

I don't know how they can ever out do the first two seasons unless he creates a false flag, nukes a city, declares martial law, and makes himself emperor? :lmao:

Forum List

Back