House of Cards

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
I am currently into the Netflix original series, "House of Cards." Anyone else invoved in this? I find it most interesting, especailly the character of Francis Underwood as played by Kevin Spacey as well as his wife and his girlfriend.

Any thoughts or comments on this series?

I am currently into the Netflix original series, "House of Cards." Anyone else invoved in this? I find it most interesting, especailly the character of Francis Underwood as played by Kevin Spacey as well as his wife and his girlfriend.

I haven't watched TV in years.
My daughter suggested to me that I watch it, mostly because she knows I'm a political junkie.
I found it entertaining. Decent plot, decent actors/acting.
I think I watched the entire series in about two weeks. I got hooked and want to see what happens next season.
From a political point of view, the plot doesn't seem far-fetched as compared to US politics.

My daughter suggested to me that I watch it, mostly because she knows I'm a political junkie.
I think I watched the entire series in about two weeks. I got hooked and want to see what happens next season.
From a political point of view, the plot doesn't seem far-fetched as compared to US politics.

I fully believe this kind of stuff goes on with regularity, although there are some things that I think are a tad far-fectched, i.e., how things fare ultimately for Peter Russo (will not go into more detail in the interest of not being a spoiler for those who have not yet waded through all of the first season episodes). I doubt that something like that would ever happen in reality.

Have either of you guys ever been in Washington, D.C.? If so, did you ever go into the Cannon Building, which houses the offices of member of the House? A guy I went to college with was a Representative for about 12 years. When we went through D.C. about 10 years ago, we visited him in his office, which is in the Cannon Building. I am pretty sure that much of the filming of this series was done in the Cannon Building. I suspect the Oval Office is a set.

Underwood is the definition of ruthless, isn't he? And how about his girl frined, Zoey? She's a real piece of work. I can't remember when I have seen a series such as this where the two leading women (Claire - Underwood's wife, and Zoey) were both flaming bitches. An interesting aspect.

I fully believe this kind of stuff goes on with regularity, although there are some things that I think are a tad far-fectched, i.e., how things fare ultimately for Peter Russo (will not go into more detail in the interest of not being a spoiler for those who have not yet waded through all of the first season episodes). I doubt that something like that would ever happen in reality.

Have either of you guys ever been in Washington, D.C.? If so, did you ever go into the Cannon Building, which houses the offices of member of the House? A guy I went to college with was a Representative for about 12 years. When we went through D.C. about 10 years ago, we visited him in his office, which is in the Cannon Building. I am pretty sure that much of the filming of this series was done in the Cannon Building. I suspect the Oval Office is a set.

Underwood is the definition of ruthless, isn't he? And how about his girl frined, Zoey? She's a real piece of work. I can't remember when I have seen a series such as this where the two leading women (Claire - Underwood's wife, and Zoey) were both flaming bitches. An interesting aspect.

Much of the show was filmed in Baltimore because the cost of filming is less than in D.C. But I've been in those hallways many times and if those weren't the actual halls of the Congressional offices then they were a darn good replica.

Russo's fate was pretty farfetched. But it wouldn't surprise me if equally dirty things like that happen all the time with those people.

There was an article on the front page of the L.A. Times the other day about this series. It was actually a review by a drama critic, but they put it on the front page. The critic said it is an excellent series, but pointed out that Netflix may have made a mistake to make all 13 episodes available for viewing all at once.

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess, if you wanted to, you could zip ahead and view the last episode without wading through the earlier ones if you were so inclined. I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

The reviewer commented that the series is kind of boring until it gets to "Episode 6 or 7." I felt it was entertaining as hell during Episodes 1 through 9. When Peter Russo becomes the centeral figure of the plot along about Episode 9 and 10, things REALLY begin to pick up.

I'm totally hooked. Y'all are right - Spacey is a genius. And I really like the technique of his little asides, where he talks to the audience directly while other characters around him are put on freeze. That is a drama technique almost as old as drama itself. Shakespeare himself used it a lot. It is called an "aside" (as you may have already guessed).

Much of the show was filmed in Baltimore because the cost of filming is less than in D.C. But I've been in those hallways many times and if those weren't the actual halls of the Congressional offices then they were a darn good replica.

Russo's fate was pretty farfetched. But it wouldn't surprise me if equally dirty things like that happen all the time with those people.

Well, the way in which his fate came around wasn't far-fetched, but the circumstances were. OK - SPOILER ALERT . . . . if you haven't seen the last two episodes of the first season, don't read further . . . .

Underwood is ruthless, but he is also very intelligent. I just can't see a U.S. Congressman with his intelligence and obvious high-profile position in D.C., committing murder. He has way too much to lose. They could have gotten Russo out of the picture withiout killing him. Russo was not the sharpest tool in the drawer, and could have been manipulated in just about any way Underwood wanted to do it. Risking his entire political life to do it the way he did it just doesn't make sense for a guy as crafty as Underwood.

Did you notice that Russo died in the passenger seat? That would have been the first thing to cause the police to suspect foul play. Not normal for that to happen - car suicides usually die in the driver's seat. I'm going to have to replay that episode and pay attention to how it was that Frank happened to be taking Peter home, if they even show that at all. Who knew that it was Frank that was taking him home? Cops would want to know who the last people who saw Russo alive were and talk to them.

So far, it looks as though there will be no police investigation at all over Russo's death. Maybe that story isn't over, however . . . .

Watched the whole series. Really good, makes Netflix worth the 8 bucks a month.

If you want, I can tell you how it ends.

Last edited:

Well, the way in which his fate came around wasn't far-fetched, but the circumstances were. OK - SPOILER ALERT . . . . if you haven't seen the last two episodes of the first season, don't read further . . . .

Underwood is ruthless, but he is also very intelligent. I just can't see a U.S. Congressman with his intelligence and obvious high-profile position in D.C., committing murder. He has way too much to lose. They could have gotten Russo out of the picture withiout killing him. Russo was not the sharpest tool in the drawer, and could have been manipulated in just about any way Underwood wanted to do it. Risking his entire political life to do it the way he did it just doesn't make sense for a guy as crafty as Underwood.

Did you notice that Russo died in the passenger seat? That would have been the first thing to cause the police to suspect foul play. Not normal for that to happen - car suicides usually die in the driver's seat. I'm going to have to replay that episode and pay attention to how it was that Frank happened to be taking Peter home, if they even show that at all. Who knew that it was Frank that was taking him home? Cops would want to know who the last people who saw Russo alive were and talk to them.

So far, it looks as though there will be no police investigation at all over Russo's death. Maybe that story isn't over, however . . . .

Well the show was originally a British series... maybe to follow that plot that needed to happen?

The way they did it was a little out there but it definitely changed the dynamic of the show, I think for the better. At first I loved Underwood and was hoping the show was about him taking down the entire political establishment as revenge. But then he became super evil and it's really entertaining.

The only thing I don't like about the show is having to wait another whole year for the next season!!!

Alas...

Help me out with something here . . . Underwood's right hand man is Doug Stamper, played by Michael Kelly. Stamper is the guy who went to the AA meetings with Russo. He appears to be equally as ruthless as Underwood and probably capable of as much or even more evil than Underwood himself, if that's possible.

Anyway, in one of the early episodes, we meet Rachel through Stamper. (Rachel is the girl who seduced Russo and got him drunk again for Underwood and Stamper.)

My question is - what was the original relationship between Stamper and Rachel? As I recall, she just appears, all of a sudden, with no explanation as to where she came from or what her connection is with Stamper. I am assuming she was just a hooker that Stamper knew from his past and who somehow crossed his path with him then deciding to help her out and (of course) using her to bring about Russo's downfall.

Do you have anything else on the history of Rachel and Stamper's relationship?

Help me out with something here . . . Underwood's right hand man is Doug Stamper, played by Michael Kelly. Stamper is the guy who went to the AA meetings with Russo. He appears to be equally as ruthless as Underwood and probably capable of as much or even more evil than Underwood himself, if that's possible.

Anyway, in one of the early episodes, we meet Rachel through Stamper. (Rachel is the girl who seduced Russo and got him drunk again for Underwood and Stamper.)

My question is - what was the original relationship between Stamper and Rachel? As I recall, she just appears, all of a sudden, with no explanation as to where she came from or what her connection is with Stamper. I am assuming she was just a hooker that Stamper knew from his past and who somehow crossed his path with him then deciding to help her out and (of course) using her to bring about Russo's downfall.

Do you have anything else on the history of Rachel and Stamper's relationship?

Stamper was sent to pay her off, and then he took her in because him and Underwood still had use for her. Then she was the one who made sure Russo got hammered so that he'd ruin his phone interview.

Stamper was sent to pay her off, and then he took her in because him and Underwood still had use for her.

To pay her off for what?

She was the prostitute in the car with Russo when he was pulled over for DUI in the early episodes. Underwood bailed him out so that he wouldn't argue for the Philly shipyards. Stamper paid off Rachel so that she wouldn't talk.

Stamper was sent to pay her off, and then he took her in because him and Underwood still had use for her.

To pay her off for what?

She was the prostitute in the car with Russo when he was pulled over for DUI in the early episodes. Underwood bailed him out so that he wouldn't argue for the Philly shipyards. Stamper paid off Rachel so that she wouldn't talk.

Ah - THAT'S what I had missed/forgotten about. Thanks!

A lot of the scenes are shot at night, and it is hard for me (at least) to see what's going on, who's involved, etc. That may have been the problem there.

Ok- jumped over posts (no spoilers please).
My son has been after me to watch this and so far have the first two episodes under my belt.
:thup: :thup:

Anyone else find the occasional humor in this? Some of it's hilarious.

Some of this is funnier than shit. Like the dying secret service guy confessing his fantasies to Frank's wife. I was laughing my ass off. Then Frank goads the union boss into slugging him to the floor LOL.

Just started it last night, am totally enthralled.

Forum List

Back