House GOP’s Ryan to unveil new budget

Ryan's "medicare" plan relies upon either insurance companies to make up cost inefficiencies or for seniors to pay what their "subsidy" doesn't.
Why don't you just ask the American people if they trust insurance companies to keep costs down when they're on the hook for the additional amount? That's what you're doing, aren't you?

In defense of Paul Ryan's Medicare plan - Term Sheet
By far the most significant -- and revolutionary -- proposal in Congressman Paul Ryan's 2012 budget is its blueprint for taming Medicare. According to the Congressional Budget Office's analysis, issued on April 5th, the Ryan plan would totally reverse the course of recent fiscal history by lowering federal health care spending from 8% of GDP today to just 5% by 2050. If we remain on the current course, the spending would jump to 14% in that time frame.
In all the Ryan proposals, enrollees in the new regime would use the government's contribution to shop from a broad array of private insurance plans offered by a Medicare exchange. That system is modeled on the highly successful Federal Employee Health Benefits Program, where government workers choose from a wide variety of offerings, from deluxe fee-for-service plans to basic high-deductible programs.
Still, the rise in costs for the elderly could prove far less than the giant annual increases we're experiencing today. We've simply never seen a competitive environment like the one in the Ryan blueprint. "The Obama plan is all about price controls," says Joseph Antos, an economist at the American Enterprise Institute. "Ryan's is all about unleashing the market."

The Ryan plan has another major strength: It will stop heaping a bigger and bigger Medicare burden onto younger taxpayers. Ryan is making a bold, wrenching choice that wins because it's less painful than all the others.

From the OP link........

I find this a very telling statement.

So what the article is stating is that Ryan will be the one to set the priorities for the entire GOP platform?

The same Ryan whose last budget eliminated Medicare as we know it?

Ryan?s Budget Attempts to End Medicare and Shift Costs to Seniors

The same Ryan whose budget his own party and the American people rejected?

Poll: Conservatives And Republicans Oppose Ryan Budget | TPMDC

Poll: Americans don’t support Ryan-budget | Right Across the Atlantic

THIS guy will be setting the GOP priorties in the upcoming election?

I can't wait to see the details. This ought to be good. :popcorn:

The reason that Ryan "eliminated" Medicare as we know it...is that Medicare as we know it won't remain solvent as the baby boomers retire. Paul Ryan is one of the few Washington politicians with the character to tackle what is considered a political "third rail". He's actually making suggestions on how to FIX a looming catastrophe as opposed to Barack Obama who has kicked that can down the road...as usual.

Destroying it is not fixing it.

But let's wait to see what the details will be and how the average working class American reacts.

Especially if it will form the GOP platform.

What's rather pathetic is that whenever someone DOES have the character to try and reform Medicare so it can remain solvent, they are immediately attacked by people like yourself who accuse them of trying to "destroy" Medicare.

You know what WILL destroy Medicare? Not doing anything.

It's not about "government spending". It's about moving the wealth of the country to the top 1%, something Republicans work desperately for and Democrats work against.

Gee, Deanie...since if we took ALL of the top 1%'s money it still wouldn't be enough to pay for looming Medicare costs there's obviously a problem that can't be fixed by simply raising taxes on the wealthy. But why let reality get in the way of your stupid rants about the GOP and the 1%? Duh...

Ryan's "medicare" plan relies upon either insurance companies to make up cost inefficiencies or for seniors to pay what their "subsidy" doesn't.
Why don't you just ask the American people if they trust insurance companies to keep costs down when they're on the hook for the additional amount? That's what you're doing, aren't you?

By far the most significant -- and revolutionary -- proposal in Congressman Paul Ryan's 2012 budget is its blueprint for taming Medicare. According to the Congressional Budget Office's analysis, issued on April 5th, the Ryan plan would totally reverse the course of recent fiscal history by lowering federal health care spending from 8% of GDP today to just 5% by 2050. If we remain on the current course, the spending would jump to 14% in that time frame.
In all the Ryan proposals, enrollees in the new regime would use the government's contribution to shop from a broad array of private insurance plans offered by a Medicare exchange. That system is modeled on the highly successful Federal Employee Health Benefits Program, where government workers choose from a wide variety of offerings, from deluxe fee-for-service plans to basic high-deductible programs.
Still, the rise in costs for the elderly could prove far less than the giant annual increases we're experiencing today. We've simply never seen a competitive environment like the one in the Ryan blueprint. "The Obama plan is all about price controls," says Joseph Antos, an economist at the American Enterprise Institute. "Ryan's is all about unleashing the market."

The Ryan plan has another major strength: It will stop heaping a bigger and bigger Medicare burden onto younger taxpayers. Ryan is making a bold, wrenching choice that wins because it's less painful than all the others.

Unlike most of the Clowns in DC Ryan has the balls to take on that political hot potatoe, Medicare.

From you post sounds like the CBO approves as well as some economists.

I'll be waiting while the Dems dust off their grandma off the cliff video and my all time fav senior eating cat food.

Shouldn't take long.

Unlike most of the Clowns in DC Ryan has the balls to take on that political hot potatoe, Medicare.

I'll be waiting while the Dems dust off their grandma off the cliff video and my all time fav senior eating cat food.

Shouldn't take long.

The information I posted was from the last plan Ryan submitted. It's the one he and the Dem came up with. It sounds pretty decent to me, and I hope the new budget includes it, or something like it.

Insurance companies already cover the significant gaps in Medicare coverage with Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage. The key will be in utilizing cost efficiency plans which are already on the table to mitigate cost increases to seniors. Insurance companies, if regulated properly, are in general going to be more efficient that the federal bureaucracy. But this will only come about if both silly ends of the political spectrum grow up a bit, stop pointing the finger, start listening to the others' ideas, and find a way to make government and private industry work together. Medicare Advantage, while it has some flaws, is an example of a direction we could go.

It's not impossible, just improbable, given today's toxic environment.

Insurance companies already cover the significant gaps in Medicare coverage with Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage. The key will be in utilizing cost efficiency plans which are already on the table to mitigate cost increases to seniors. Insurance companies, if regulated properly, are in general going to be more efficient that the federal bureaucracy. But this will only come about if both silly ends of the political spectrum grow up a bit, stop pointing the finger, start listening to the others' ideas, and find a way to make government and private industry work together. Medicare Advantage, while it has some flaws, is an example of a direction we could go.

DumbAssRepComputer said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mac1958 again.
:)

DumbAssRepComputer said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mac1958 again.
:)

LOL, thx

From the OP link........

But the document will be an important symbolic outline of Republican priorities in a key election year

So what the article is stating is that Ryan will be the one to set the priorities for the entire GOP platform?

you must have skipped this part...
Ryan also must decide whether to replicate the Medicare reform package he included in last year’s budget, which would provide seniors payments to purchase private insurance.

He could instead include the revamped version that he unveiled late last year with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). It would preserve a government-run Medicare option alongside new private plans.
Don't care much for bipartisanship, eh?

I love bipartisanship. I think it's the only way to get anything done in Washington.

It's the GOP that hates bipartisanship. The problem is that the GOP considers bipartisan and moderate Republicans RINOs. (You'll notice that I never called Wyden a DINO)

The problem with the Ryan-Wyden plan is that it would still end up costing seniors THOUSANDS of dollars more each year. And face it, elderly people on fixed incomes cannot afford it. Period.

They're gonna have to keep trying.

From the OP link........

Ryan also must decide whether to replicate the Medicare reform package he included in last year’s budget, which would provide seniors payments to purchase private insurance.

He could instead include the revamped version that he unveiled late last year with Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.). It would preserve a government-run Medicare option alongside new private plans.

I love bipartisanship. I think it's the only way to get anything done in Washington.

It's the GOP that hates bipartisanship. The problem is that the GOP considers bipartisan and moderate Republicans RINOs. (You'll notice that I never called Wyden a DINO)

The problem with the Ryan-Wyden plan is that it would still end up costing seniors THOUSANDS of dollars more each year. And face it, elderly people on fixed incomes cannot afford it. Period.

Unfortunately, bipartisanship to libs means the right caves to the left's every demand.

Fuck that.

The reason that Ryan "eliminated" Medicare as we know it...is that Medicare as we know it won't remain solvent as the baby boomers retire. Paul Ryan is one of the few Washington politicians with the character to tackle what is considered a political "third rail". He's actually making suggestions on how to FIX a looming catastrophe as opposed to Barack Obama who has kicked that can down the road...as usual.

Destroying it is not fixing it.

But let's wait to see what the details will be and how the average working class American reacts.

Especially if it will form the GOP platform.

What's rather pathetic is that whenever someone DOES have the character to try and reform Medicare so it can remain solvent, they are immediately attacked by people like yourself who accuse them of trying to "destroy" Medicare.

You know what WILL destroy Medicare? Not doing anything.

And do you know what will save it? Raise payroll taxes, limit participation based on income and seriously go after fraud.

It's not rocket science, you know. And putting seniors health in the hands of money grubbing, for profit insurance companies will do more harm than good. They will only raise premiums and deny coverage to the worst off and once again senior health care will be only something for the well off.

Unfortunately, bipartisanship to libs means the right caves to the left's every demand.

Fuck that.

RINO- "Seeks “bi-partisanship”, which more often than not, translates into liberal, left-leaning votes"

How does the Tea Party define RINO? - Red State Virginia - Liberty Driven Conservatism - Virginia Politics

I'm going to guess that the budget will have plenty of sacrifice in it,

but none of that sacrifice will fall on either the wealthy, or the defense lobby's interests.

Shouldn't take long.

Yeah, how unfair of dems to show the practical consequences of the Ryan plan.

Simple fact: The Ryan plan costs medicare recipients money and provides ZERO incentives for savings.

Let's not use SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, which costs half as much and provides better outcomes...NO! That's UNAMERICAN!

Oh God NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Eliminating Medicare would mean people dying in the streets, just like it was in before 1965. Does anyone here remember the horror of life in America pre Medicare? My God is was awful...the stench in the streets from the rotting bodies, old people living off dog food...thank goodness our central planners saved us from all that.

Good thing they did too because if you look at the law of the land, you'll see it is the federal government's responsibility to provide healthcare to old people and those who claim to be too sick to work. It's right there in the enumerated powers of the Constitution, I'm just sure of it!

Best of all, just look at how the common man has thrived when being served by the healthcare industry after the feds got involved. Inflation in the market segment has remained under the national average...right??? And the results are just fantastic! Reminds me of how we're doing after the government decided to run education. Nothing but roses!

Any word on when the Senate unveil a budget?

Duh, all bills originate in the House, not the Senate. When the House sends them a bill, only then are they authorized to amend it. That's basic seventh grade civics.

A subject you obviously failed, if you believe that the Senate cannot introduce a bill.
Legislative Process – How the Congressional Legislative Process Works
Only a member of Congress (House or Senate) can introduce the bill for consideration.

Were you too lazy to read the actual Constitution?

Article 1

Section. 7.

Clause 1: All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.​

Shouldn't take long.

Simple fact: The Ryan plan costs medicare recipients money and provides ZERO incentives for savings.

Let's not use SOCIALIZED MEDICINE, which costs half as much and provides better outcomes...NO! That's UNAMERICAN!

Wonder what the repercussions will be of that half billion Obamacare is taking out of Medicare to bolster that clusterfuck bill??

Socialized Medicine?? Oh you mean Govt run medicine.

You want to trust your medical care to the Govt?? The Govt that has never run anything cheaply or well in its entire history?? That Socialized Medicine.

Better you than me buddy. I wouldn't trust Govt to run my anything.

Shouldn't take long.

Wonder what the repercussions will be of that half billion Obamacare is taking out of Medicare to bolster that clusterfuck bill??

Socialized Medicine?? Oh you mean Govt run medicine.

You want to trust your medical care to the Govt?? The Govt that has never run anything cheaply or well in its entire history?? That Socialized Medicine.

Better you than me buddy. I wouldn't trust Govt to run my anything.

Then you're a fool.

Government built the interstates, researched and built the atomic bomb, the microprocessor, the internet and landed a man on the moon.

Good thing we didn't have lazy dumbasses like you back then.

Last edited:
Duh, all bills originate in the House, not the Senate. When the House sends them a bill, only then are they authorized to amend it. That's basic seventh grade civics.

A subject you obviously failed, if you believe that the Senate cannot introduce a bill.
Legislative Process – How the Congressional Legislative Process Works
Only a member of Congress (House or Senate) can introduce the bill for consideration.

Were you too lazy to read the actual Constitution?

Article 1

Section. 7.

Clause 1: All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.​

MORON.

First FAIL on your part...
YOU said:
Duh, all bills originate in the House, not the Senate.

You said nothing about raising revenue. You said they ALL originate in the House, which is patently untrue.

Second FAIL on your part:
All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives
A budget bill does not raise revenue. It determines how revenue raised will be spent.

That's 2 FAILS on the same subject on the same post. God, you're stupid. I even posted a link that shows EXACTLY how the budget process works, and you still cling to your FAIL.

Man up, admit you goofed. It happens to us all.

EDIT: FYI the bills that can only originate in the House are 'appropriations' bills.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back