house gop won't cut defense spending but is aiming to end PBS and slash pell grants

Every once in a while, we hear about the military spending $500 on toilet seats (not some special kind needed for unusual plumbing on experimental craft, either) or $800.00 each for regular old screwdrivers bought in bulk. After a while, one necessarily comes to the conclusion that if there isn't outright theft and corruption in the procurement process, there is woefully inadequate oversight and accounting taking place.

Can wasteful spending in the military be cut? Obviously.

And then there are other options. Like MAYBE (and I realize it's a pipe dream for some reason) but POSSIBLY we could -- stay with me here -- say "ok. World War II is actually over. We're pulling our troops out of Japan and Germany."

Yeah yeah. It may not be a simple as it sounds. They still have some strategic value merely by being there. But if we are attempting to analyze costs and how to cut those costs, then maybe we need to seriously get down to the business of having that discussion.

Maybe we SHOULD be spending lots on R&D. But maybe we don't need as many fighter/bombers as we have.

Maybe we can deploy a Strategic Missile Defense (star wars type) system for the threat of some possible future nuclear missile attack, even if it's expensive as hell, but we can do without troop deployments in Eastern Buttfuckslovia.

Several of us have said it before: Let's agree to put everything on the table. There may be no ultimate agreement on major things, but there should be some ways to save lots of money even within the defense budget. No sacred cows: Everything should be at least subject to debate.

Didn't Obama and the Senate give that up to the Russians recently?

So liberals really do consider spending cuts a bad thing, even though it's clear, very clear, that we need to make these cuts.

All the spending that has been done didn't come close to the lofty goals and won't for some time.

whatever

gop cutting bad, lib spending good, even if we collapse.

HUH? Look at the history, Republicans are every bit as good at overspending as the dmes are. And according to facts and figures even better.

the right is just using this as an excuse to get rid of PBS which has been a goal of their since Reagan or before.

the entire govt spending for PBS is something like 600 Million a heck of a deal for what we get. We could just cut aid to Israel by that amount and it would be a wash. Or maybe 4 fewer Abrams tanks?

Heck that was only 3 days worth of spending on Obama's India trip :D

Last edited:
Spending on the Constitution's number one mandate is good. Defense. Defense. Defense.

Too much Pell money and government loans are going to University of Phoenix students who help in that institution's graduation rate of barely over 30 percent. They don't have and will not get a job and will not pay back the loans that the Pell grant did not cover.

No need to end PBS. Just stop the taxpayer support and have them get by on their other funding sources.

I agree. If PBS has programming people really want to watch, they should be able to get all the private funding they need.

but... Republicans know that we have the etheral "American Exceptionalism" and some of u guys either are ashamed of it or quick to get quit of it-- foolish, especailly now-- Regards, probus

HUH? Look at the history, Republicans are every bit as good at overspending as the dmes are. And according to facts and figures even better.

the right is just using this as an excuse to get rid of PBS which has been a goal of their since Reagan or before.

the entire govt spending for PBS is something like 600 Million a heck of a deal for what we get. We could just cut aid to Israel by that amount and it would be a wash. Or maybe 4 fewer Abrams tanks?

Heck that was only 3 days worth of spending on Obama's India trip :D

Cut funding to Green Energy, that would save a Trillion dollars, just a thought for you to chew.

Look at history, got to count Obama's spending, which now has set an incredible record, Democrats have soundly regained the title of spend, spend, spend, and spend.

Our biggest fear should be that people will be happy with the over spending of the past now that we see what the Democrats do when in complete power.

The defense budget needs to be increased, with new civil rights given to openly homosexual men they will no longer have to enter through back door and hide their sexual procliviites, at the least lots of new training as well as new facilities to accomadate "diversity".

If we aren't going to fight wars to win, bring them home .
Winning hearts and minds doesn't work if the mind believes Mohammad is a prophet of god.
I dont support nation building crusades in Islamic states.
We can close down bases all around the world and spark employment, let other countries raise there own defense departments.
We can cut the DOD by 50 %.

LOL

House GOP Chairman outlines sweeping spending cuts - Yahoo! News

they keep getting dumber and dumber. I can't wait for them to laughed out of the chambers. fucking democrats in disguise

Why is it necessary to remind the left that the Founding Fathers stated only two requirements for the federal government? "To provide for the common defense" is the first one. It's nice that kids can get some money for school but I already put my kids through school and I don't want to send someone elses kids through college. Two years in the Military gets a kid a free college education. Let them do what the "greatest generation" did and give a couple of years to the greatest Country on the face of the earth in exchange for a college education and quit whining about it.

LOL

House GOP Chairman outlines sweeping spending cuts - Yahoo! News

they keep getting dumber and dumber. I can't wait for them to laughed out of the chambers. fucking democrats in disguise

Your being very disengenuous with your thread title. Please show where the GOP are not going to cut defense spending? If you can't do it, this is what's called "willing misinformation"

ummm.. meister...

from the article, my friend:

The package of cuts totals $43 billion taken from domestic agency and foreign aid budgets when compared with levels enacted for 2010. Once increases for the Pentagon are accounted for, those savings are $35 billion. They are smaller than the $100 billion promised in last year's campaign since the budget year is already almost five months under way.

they are increasing the military budget.

they just like screwing people.

Weren't you one of the people complaining that the wars need to be paid for?

Sorry but it's not the responsibility of the government to run a radio or TV station or to waste money on so called art and college grants.

Forum List

Back