House GOP Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

Feb 2, 2011
That's the GOP for you. They vote to cut programs and funding for organisations that benefit women and poor families, but stand behind their corporate overlords by voting unanimously to keep millions in tax payer subsidies for oils companies that rake in billions in profits and give away millions in bonuses.

ThinkProgress » House GOP Says ‘So Be It’ To Taxpayers, Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

House Republicans voted in lockstep this afternoon to protect corporate welfare for Big Oil, even as they call for draconian cuts to programs that everyday Americans depend on each day. As the House of Representatives moved toward approving a stopgap resolution to avert a government shutdown for another two weeks, Democrats offered a motion to recommit that would have stripped the five largest oil companies of taxpayer subsidies, saving tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funds. The motion failed on a vote of 176-249, with all Republicans voting against (approximately a dozen Democrats joined the GOP). A similar vote two weeks ago to recoup $53 billion in taxpayer funds from Big Oil was also voted down, largely along party lines. The former CEO of Shell Oil, John Hoffmeister, recently said Big Oil doesn’t need subsidies “in face of sustained high oil prices.” From 2005 to 2009, the largest oil companies have made a combined $485 billion in profits.

That's the GOP for you. They vote to cut programs and funding for organisations that benefit women and poor families, but stand behind their corporate overlords by voting unanimously to keep millions in tax payer subsidies for oils companies that rake in billions in profits and give away millions in bonuses.

ThinkProgress » House GOP Says ‘So Be It’ To Taxpayers, Votes Unanimously to Protect Big Oil Subsidies

House Republicans voted in lockstep this afternoon to protect corporate welfare for Big Oil, even as they call for draconian cuts to programs that everyday Americans depend on each day. As the House of Representatives moved toward approving a stopgap resolution to avert a government shutdown for another two weeks, Democrats offered a motion to recommit that would have stripped the five largest oil companies of taxpayer subsidies, saving tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funds. The motion failed on a vote of 176-249, with all Republicans voting against (approximately a dozen Democrats joined the GOP). A similar vote two weeks ago to recoup $53 billion in taxpayer funds from Big Oil was also voted down, largely along party lines. The former CEO of Shell Oil, John Hoffmeister, recently said Big Oil doesn’t need subsidies “in face of sustained high oil prices.” From 2005 to 2009, the largest oil companies have made a combined $485 billion in profits.

It is the GOP "family values".

Translation, GOP votes to help keep Oil Prices from Rising any Further.

Oh how horrible of them.

Let me set you straight on this, they are voting to take away programs from the lazy worthless pieces of trash who are leeches to America and the hard working tax payers of the American economy who are sick of being taken advantage of, and then supporting our own natural resources so we dont have to pay $5.00 a gallon at the pump and be bitches to the middle east.
Now, you stand corrected, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Let me follow this up with a famous quote by a founding father.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money,
that will herald the end of the republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Wow, does this not sound familiar to what is going on now in America? Welfare recipients being bought by Democrats, Democrats being bought by illegal immigrants becauase ACORN helped get them illegally registered to vote? The black community being promised things by the democrats because....let's face it, the democrats have been so kind to blacks in Americas history right? Democrats where your klansmen in the day, Robert Byrd is one example, Al Gore senior is another. Blacks have been nothing more then just another voting block for the Dems, and they are too blind to open there eyes and see it, just like the mexicans and the welfare bums,

Last edited:
  • Banned

Oh how horrible of them.

Translation of your translation - Partisan hacks will defend their party with lies no matter how wrong their party is.

Seriously, how do you sleep at night? If tax payer subsidies to oil companies help keep gas prices from rising, then why are gas prices rising? Don't give me any excuses about turmoil in the Middle East. You said that subsidies help keep gas prices from rising. Prove it.

• Banned

Let me set you straight on this, they are voting to take away programs from the lazy worthless pieces of trash who are leeches to America and the hard working tax payers of the American economy who are sick of being taken advantage of, and then supporting our own natural resources so we dont have to pay $5.00 a gallon at the pump and be bitches to the middle east.

Now I stand corrected? You have to actually know what you're talking about in order to correct somebody. And it's clear from your incoherent ramblings that you don't know shit. I suggest you smoke something yourself. Something other than the right-wing lies that you gobble up like candy.

Last edited:

Oh how horrible of them.

Translation of your translation - Partisan hacks will defend their party with lies no matter how wrong their party is.

Seriously, how do you sleep at night? If tax payer subsidies to oil companies help keep gas prices from rising, then why are gas prices rising? Don't give me any excuses about turmoil in the Middle East. You said that subsidies help keep gas prices from rising. Prove it.

Like you Fuhrer said "Elections have consequences." Now you are on the shit end, and it is because of your party, how does it feel? You have only yourselves to blame.

Now I stand corrected? You have to actually know what you're talking about in order to correct somebody. And it's clear from your incoherent ramblings that you don't know shit. I suggest you smoke something yourself. Something other than the right-wing lies that you gobble up like candy.

So what you are saying is you have no argument to rebuttal my statement with? That's typical liberal evasion for you.

Your avatar is the same as the shirt that Tim McVey was wearing when arrested

Oh how horrible of them.

Like you Fuhrer said "Elections have consequences." Now you are on the shit end, and it is because of your party, how does it feel? You have only yourselves to blame.

Elections have consequences? How is giving tax payer subsidies a consequence of an election that was supposedly about - according to conservatives - fiscal responsibility? How is it fiscally responsible to give tax payer subsidies to companies that rake in billions in profits?

You have only yourself to blame for making such a dumbass post.

So what you are saying is you have no argument to rebuttal my statement with? That's typical liberal evasion for you.

What is there to rebut? Your post was nothing but right-wing talking points. No facts. Just opinion. You don't know how this works, do you?

..... Let me set you straight on this, they are voting to take away programs from the lazy worthless pieces of trash who are leeches to America and the hard working tax payers of the American economy who are sick of being taken advantage of, and then supporting our own natural resources .....

Blacks have been nothing more then just another voting block for the Dems, and they are too blind to open there eyes and see it, just like the mexicans and the welfare bums,
- lazy worthless pieces of trash who are leeches to America

- Blacks ... too blind to open there eyes

- just like the mexicans and the welfare bums

Conclusive proof that "grunt11b" is one "sick puppy!"

With friends like "grunt11b," who needs enemies!

Last edited:

Oh how horrible of them.

I sleep just fine, because my head is in reality, where if you take their subsidies away, it is unavoidable that the price we pay at the pump will go up.

I don't have to prove a god damn thing. It is basic Economics, Take the subsidies away, and the Oil Companies, Being in the business of making money, will find a way to make back the difference. That way will be higher prices at the pump.

So...........you're telling me that the GOP is helping make gas prices, well, a bit less severe than they are under Obama.

BTW, under Obama's watch, gas is the highest it's EVER been in the month of February.

Oh how horrible of them.

I sleep just fine, because my head is in reality, where if you take their subsidies away, it is unavoidable that the price we pay at the pump will go up.

I don't have to prove a god damn thing. It is basic Economics, Take the subsidies away, and the Oil Companies, Being in the business of making money, will find a way to make back the difference. That way will be higher prices at the pump.

Yes, you do have to prove it if you want me to take you seriously. Link it or shut the fuck up.

So...........you're telling me that the GOP is helping make gas prices, well, a bit less severe than they are under Obama.

BTW, under Obama's watch, gas is the highest it's EVER been in the month of February.

No, all they are doing is avoiding the inevitable bump in prices removing the subsidies is bound to cause.

I though these liberals understood that Oil Companies are greedy. Take away their subsidies and it will cost them more to do business. You better believe they will raise prices to make it back.

It is just common sense.

Yes, you do have to prove it if you want me to take you seriously. Link it or shut the fuck up.

Frankly I do not give a flying fuck if you take me seriously or not there asshat. People with common sense know that if you take the subsidies away, the oil companies will raise prices to make back the difference.

Link it or shut the fuck up? What are you going to make me tough guy? Bring it on.

There is nothing to link, I base my Opinion on Experience. In my Experience if you cause a Cooperation's costs to go up, they pass those new Costs on to the consumer. I would expect a Lib such as yourself to understand that. The Current subsidies lower the cost for the Oil Companies, Take them away and those costs will increase. Only a complete Buffoon, Or a partisan hack such as yourself, would deny that basic Economic Reality.

Last edited:

Frankly I do not give a flying fuck if you take me seriously or not there asshat. People with common sense know that if you take the subsidies away, the oil companies will raise prices to make back the difference.

Link it or shut the fuck up? What are you going to make me tough guy? Bring it on.

You're a fucking idiot. You post your opinion as fact, with nothing to back it up except, "It's common sense", and act like you're preaching the gospel. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. That is plainly clear. Gas prices are determined by a number of factors. Tax payer subsidies is not one of them. But like I said: If you think that's the case, then prove it. Link it. Give me some evidence to back up your bogus claim.....or shut the fuck up.

Kill OPEC!!!

Ppl who receive help are bums but oil companies that don't need help but get our tax money anyway are to be applauded?

Forum List

Back