House GOP tries to stop Sandy relief funding. Governors respond.

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Gov. Cuomo, Gov. Christie and Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy demand quick action from Congress to provide $60 billion in disaster aid for states devastated by Sandy...

...The governors of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut and 125 powerful CEOs issued an extraordinary plea to Congress on Thursday, demanding quick action on $60 billion in disaster aid for states devastated by Hurricane Sandy.

The governors voiced frustration that seven weeks have passed and Congress has done nothing - after taking just two weeks to approve $62 billion in disaster aid after Hurricane Katrina and a month to send $20 billion to states flattened by Hurricane Gustav.

Gov. Cuomo, Gov. Christie and Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy demand quick action from Congress to provide $60 billion in disaster aid for states devastated by Sandy - NY Daily News

• Banned
Despite the bipartisan show of unity on behalf of storm victims, like many seemingly uncontroversial initiatives navigating the halls of Congress, the request for $60 billion in aid money has generated ire from some quarters, particularly the House Republican Conference. House GOPers do not plan to introduce a funding bill anywhere near the administration's $60 billion request, arguing that "the administration hasn't provided sufficient details to justify spending that amount," according to the Wall Street Journal.

Instead, a senior Republican aide tells the Journal, the proposed amount would be "far smaller" than the administration's request.

Sandy relief funding hits speed bumps - Political Eye - CBS News

• Banned
Since NY, NJ and Connecticut are major taxpaying states, per capita, and NY already receives less in funding, per capita, than most other states, I say residents of the states involved temporarily stop paying federal taxes, until this is resolved, and perhaps for some time after.

As of 2007, Connecticut, New Jersey and New York were #2, #4 and #5, respectively, on tax revenue, per capita.

And yet, they were #17, #37, and #27 respectively in receiving federal funding, per capita.

Federal taxation and spending by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw this coming a hundred miles away and yet they want to spend many times this on weapons no one even wants.

Fucking hilarious

$60B would build 300,000 units of housing

Dems and budgets. LOLz

Dems have respect for taxpayer money..Sure they do

They're asking for $80 Billion and totally oblivious to Obama's Fiscal Cliff

60 Billion.

Which is less than the amount authorized for Katrina, even though more people are affected by this than by Katrina.

They asked for $80B

These are all union states so the ultimate cost will be double whatever they asked and only half the work gets done

A conservative's incredibly conditional sense of charity is so conditional that it ceases to be charity and becomes a political weapon. How much suffering are you willing to inflict in the republican vendetta against unions?

I wonder if these articles listed all the PORK that it was in it?

somehow I DOUBT IT

but hey, what do Democrats care. they have that magic money in the back of whitehouse

I'm not sure there is any really effort being made to stop the relief. Congress is just doing what has become the norm, doing nothing and accomplishing nothing.

Ah more keen insights from Stephanie. What happened to the emoticons though ?????

I think some Democrats must have started a sleeper cell within the Republican Party about 30 year ago. Now they are bringing these moles out to do as much damage as possible.

No other way to explain it. Grown people ... even the far right ... CAN'T be this stupid.

It appears that these folks think EVERYTHING is an opportunity to attack. When a pitcher knows that the batter is gonna swing at every pitch, he can make him look like an idiot. And that is EXACTLY what is happening.

If they don't turn this thing around quick, we're gonna be looking at an Hillary Clinton administration.

If you people EVER read anything else beside the Hufferpost or the Lamestream (Pravda media) you see this bill was full of PORK outside of relief for Sandy victims..

but hey it make a good post to blame Republicans for you all

If you people EVER read anything else beside the Hufferpost or the Lamestream (Pravda media) you see this bill was full of PORK outside of relief for Sandy victims..

but hey it make a good post to blame Republicans for you all

that's funny from someone who doesn't read anything but the rightwingnut blogosphere.

Forum List

Back