House GOP scraps direct vote on payroll tax cut bill

Cuts across the board should mean cuts across the board. People pay in to their health insurance plans for years and were being denied and dropped from their plan when illness hit. That wasn't fair and yet even though they paid, they didn't receive what they paid for. Everyone is hurting (except for the rich) and the constant squabbling over who should give up something is a ridiculous shell game. I'm not advocating taking away SS and I realize how important it is to many people, but touch choices should have to be made and the easiest way to do that is to take a little from everyone, no exceptions.

There is no magic bullet fix that will take care of the countless issues our country has. No matter what solution you can think of that addresses any of the issues we have will in some way be opposed or have a negative impact somewhere else.

so your answer is give em a thousand bucks now and let them work til their 80 because the social security fund will be depleted by giving them a thousand dollars now? That sounds like an excellent plan stan.

Like I said, do you care about the state of the economy now? No, you care about the long term solvency of SS over the economy now. We got that.

You are rebuffing yourself. First you argue that the extension is not long enough and then you argue that it will hurt SS. Which is it? The GOP wants a year extension. Won't that hurt SS more? It must hurt to contradict yourself so much.

so your answer is give em a thousand bucks now and let them work til their 80 because the social security fund will be depleted by giving them a thousand dollars now? That sounds like an excellent plan stan.

Like I said, do you care about the state of the economy now? No, you care about the long term solvency of SS over the economy now. We got that.

You are rebuffing yourself. First you argue that the extension is not long enough and then you argue that it will hurt SS. Which is it? The GOP wants a year extension. Won't that hurt SS more? It must hurt to contradict yourself so much.

Who are you talking to?

Boehner, at least on a historical level, appears almost pathetic after one year on the job. Early on, the Speaker told his caucus not to take the debt ceiling hostage, and his members ignored him. In April, his caucus told him his negotiations over a budget agreement weren’t right wing enough, nearly forcing a government shutdown. Over the summer, Boehner wanted a “grand bargain” with President Obama on debt reduction, and his Republican followers rejected it out of hand. Over the weekend, the Speaker supported a bipartisan agreement on extending the payroll tax break, and his members again told him they don’t care what he thinks.

It’s worth appreciating the fact that the Speaker of the House — the office, not this individual — isn’t supposed to be nearly this politically feeble. It’s a very powerful office, historically wielded by dominant, respected politicians.

Political Animal - Mr. Speaker, your weakness is showing

Boehner, at least on a historical level, appears almost pathetic after one year on the job. Early on, the Speaker told his caucus not to take the debt ceiling hostage, and his members ignored him. In April, his caucus told him his negotiations over a budget agreement weren’t right wing enough, nearly forcing a government shutdown. Over the summer, Boehner wanted a “grand bargain” with President Obama on debt reduction, and his Republican followers rejected it out of hand. Over the weekend, the Speaker supported a bipartisan agreement on extending the payroll tax break, and his members again told him they don’t care what he thinks.

It’s worth appreciating the fact that the Speaker of the House — the office, not this individual — isn’t supposed to be nearly this politically feeble. It’s a very powerful office, historically wielded by dominant, respected politicians.

He has been powerful, how many more trillion in debt would America be if he let the obama and the democrats spend what they want to.

He has been powerful, how many more trillion in debt would America be if he let the obama and the democrats spend what they want to.

Holy crap, are you serious????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, after what I just posted about the Speaker, I'm gonna backtrack a bit, at least as far as this issue is concerned. I've read elsewhere that it's possible he deliberately set this up to fail himself because it might actually pass with bi-partisan support in the House.

The gamble is three-fold: that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will cave; that Republicans will get a better deal in the next two weeks than they will in two months; and third, that if the payroll tax cut expires they’ll manage to spin their way out of the blame for it.

Part of that spin will rest on the convoluted procedure Republicans used to reject the Senate compromise. They didn’t give that bill an up-or-down vote. They gave it a down-or-down vote. The question before the House wasn’t “do you agree with the Senate bill?” It was “do you disagree with the Senate bill?” Thus a “yes” vote was actually a vote against extending the payroll tax cut and vice-versa; and even if the majority of the House had supported the Senate bill, it wouldn’t have passed. It was set up to fail.

In Gamed Vote, GOP ‘Rejects’ Senate Payroll Tax Cut Compromise | TPMDC

I prefer the year but I think they should have taken the two months.

It will come up again in 2 months and they can hash it out then and go for an extention.

Loads of drama for nothing.

No they should not have taken the two months. A two month extension on the cut is useless to the economy at large. The whole idea behind this bill is supposedly to help the economy. To get businesses reinvesting and hiring. Right now businesses are trying to hoard cash. They're just sitting on it because they don't know what the future holds. They don't know if the economy is going to get better and they don't know what their expenses will be because they don't know what their tax rates will be. No business worth it's salt is going to make a major expansion or hiring decision when all they know is how much their taxes will be for a mere two months and no idea after that.

This is one hell of a spin the democrats with the help of the main stream media have tried to pull. All the headlines are 'house GOP blocks extension of tax cuts'. I guess their banking that the bulk of the nation is stupid and can't see through this. The simple fact is it is the DEMOCRATS trying to avoid committing to long term tax cuts along with the major job booster, the keystone pipeline.

Don't think I agree with you on this one.

The payroll tax cut isn't going to encourage job creation. It will put money in the pockets of taxpayers though.

As I said. I would come up again in two months and yuo can bet the Dems aren't going to nix an extention of it.

But that doesn't help a business in the real world. They need to be able to plan and forecast for the future and that is significantly harder when you don't know what expenses you are going to be paying in the future. The left keeps complaining about how the big corporations are just sitting on cash and amazingly it's the left, through this bill, that is perpetuating that uncertainty by insisting on this two month extension as opposed to a long term extension.

Forum List

Back