House bill looks to give president line-item veto

Do you approve of the line item veto, as described in the OP?

• Not sure, I need more information

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
House bill looks to give president line-item veto

The Republican-led House is trying Wednesday to give President Obama the line-item veto, a constitutionally questionable power over the purse that has been sought by both Republican and Democratic presidents.

The legislation, expected to pass, allows the president to pick out specific items in spending bills for elimination. Currently, the president must sign or veto spending bills in their entirety.
Good. I approve of this, regardless of which party is in the White House.

The House bill, offered by Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and the top Democrat on the committee, Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, stipulates that all savings from eliminated programs would go to deficit reduction. House Republicans have included the bill as part of a package of measures to overhaul the budget process so as to save money.
Excellent bi-partisan idea gentlemen. Kudos.

Supporters say the bill has been written to meet constitutional standards. They say that while the president can propose items for rescission, or elimination, Congress must then vote on the revised spending package and then the president must sign what is in effect a new bill.
Sounds fair to me. The President strikes a line item, Congress gives it a straight up or down vote, with no amendments allowed.

But the Senate, traditionally more protective of its constitutional powers, has not always been receptive to the line-item veto idea. In 2007 former Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., picked up 49 votes for a line-item proposal, well short of the 60 needed to break a Democratic-led filibuster.
I wonder if the Democratic controlled Senate wants to be responsible for keeping the Democratic President from having this authority?

This was one of Ronald Reagan's strongest desires, which he was never given.

I hope it finally comes to pass.

Will this line-item veto only apply to budgetary legislation...or will it also be applicable to legislation that has earmarks and other unrelated proposals attached to it?

Will this line-item veto only apply to budgetary legislation...or will it also be applicable to legislation that has earmarks and other unrelated proposals attached to it?

double check the Op article, but I believe it is strictly budgetary.

I like the idea, but the Supreme court shut it down when it was tried during the Clinton years

right, but they apparently addressed the Constitutionality issue with the part where the President says NO to line #57, Congress gives it a quick yeah or neah vote (no amendments allowed), and then if they agree, they send a new bill with that item removed.

I do not understand why some want all the peoples voices on what they want to come down to the pen of one man?

Democracy? Republic? Somehow neither it seems.

I do not understand why some want all the peoples voices on what they want to come down to the pen of one man?

In this version of the line item veto, it doesn't. The President vetoes a line item, Congress gives it a yeah or neigh with no amendments allowed, then they send the president a new bill without that item if they approve the veto.

Our Republic has been hijacked by special interest groups who regularly insert appropriations into bills which have nothing to do with their interest group. Have you looked at our national debt?

There are several state governors which have this power. It has not destroyed their states.

found the little sucker...

H.R. 3521: Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)

Cosponsors:
Todd Akin [R-MO2]
Karen Bass [D-CA33]
Rick Berg [R-ND]
Diane Black [R-TN6]
Vern Buchanan [R-FL13]
Kathy Castor [D-FL11]

Jason Chaffetz [R-UT3]
David Cicilline [D-RI1]
Gerald Connolly [D-VA11]
Jim Cooper [D-TN5]
Jim Costa [D-CA20]
Henry Cuellar [D-TX28]

Jeff Duncan [R-SC3]
Bill Flores [R-TX17]
Jim Gerlach [R-PA6]
Jeb Hensarling [R-TX5]
Tim Huelskamp [R-KS1]
Lynn Jenkins [R-KS2]

Timothy Johnson [R-IL15]
Adam Kinzinger [R-IL11]
Leonard Lance [R-NJ7]
James Lankford [R-OK5]
David Loebsack [D-IA2]
Donald Manzullo [R-IL16]

Tom McClintock [R-CA4]
Mick Mulvaney [R-SC5]
Erik Paulsen [R-MN3]
Mike Pence [R-IN6]
Jared Polis [D-CO2]
Reid Ribble [R-WI8]

Brad Sherman [D-CA27]
Heath Shuler [D-NC11]
Marlin Stutzman [R-IN3]
Frederick Upton [R-MI6]
Christopher Van Hollen [D-MD8]
Peter Welch [D-VT]

Todd Young [R-IN9]

Summary:
1/17/2012--Reported to House amended, Part I. Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2011 - Amends the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974 (CBICA) to authorize the President to propose the rescission (line item veto) of all or any dollar amount of funding provided by any enacted bill or joint resolution. Sets forth requirements for the President's transmittal to Congress of a special message regarding the proposed rescission. Authorizes the President, except for his deferral of budget authority provided in CBICA, to withhold such rescinded funding temporarily from obligation, but only once per proposed rescission. Dedicates the rescinded funds solely to deficit reduction or increase of a surplus. Provides for adjustment of: (1) committee allocations resulting from such rescission, and (2) applicable limits under the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985 (Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act) revised downward by the amount of such rescissions. Sets forth procedures for expedited congressional consideration of a proposed rescission. Amends the Congressional Budget Act of 1974 to require the House Committee on the Budget, whenever an approval bill passes the House of Representatives, to reduce the applicable committee allocations immediately by the total amount of reductions in budget authority and in outlays resulting from such approval. Terminates on December 15, 2015, the amendments made by this Act, with restoration of the provisions of part B of CBICA as in effect immediately before the enactment of this Act.

FULL TEXT

What makes any of you people think having a more powerful Executive is a good idea?

Imagine another incompetent conservative douchenozzle like Bush with the power to really screw things up.

Imagine SANTORUM with this power.

Forum List

Back