House Approves Bill to Reclaim AIG Bonuses through New Tax

he never said he had nothing to do with it that I saw, he said he was not responsible for its removal as in He did not deside it on his own.

Cut a Little slack in human relations guys its a simple misunderstanding and NO ONE intended to see the bonuses get to these assholes.
There was no removal of his amendment, no changing of his amendment, no "watering down" of his amendment, as he claimed. Did you not watch him on the many videos I sent? He just flat out LIED and was caught in it! He at least did the man-up deal and stopped.

they will be taxed on their income that they recieved from us.

Its perfectly legal and doing it the other way was not.
Egad, you're an idiot.

This is a NEW, TARGETED tax on just the bonus money. They are trying to tax JUST THAT at a 100% rate.

It's NOT legal and will NOT pass constitutional muster. It is purely punitive.

The other option was, to BLOCK these bonuses and take a chance with the 100s of breach of contract lawsuits that would have resulted. Now? Just TAKING the money, without even civil court as a option for these people who were LEGALLY OWED these monies? That's THEFT.

Let's see, the Dodd Amendment specifically says they can have the bonuses. That's the LAW. Now comes this new tax, TAKING those monies! Do you not fucking GET IT? Do you not fucking UNDERSTAND what is going on here?

so now that congress has passed a law to retroactively tax profits of the rich......

who do you think will be next.....

lots of bonuses were paid out last year to lots of folks.....why stop at last year....

lets go back 10 years and retroactively pass tax laws to punish the rich....

anyone who is rich doesn't deserve it you know --they had to have done something wrong. :rolleyes:

This tax really borders on immorailty if not completely crossing the line.

while i understand the annoyance, the fact is that the money paid in bonuses is approximately 1/10 of 1 percent of the money paid to AIG. It's not life and death... it's just a rallying point for the "populists". That said, I thikn it was an easy vote for the pols (of BOTH parties) b/c they think that the Court will undo it. I think they're right... I don't think it passes constitutional scrutiny on a bunch of levels.....

so again, I wouldn't go tearing my underwear over it for either the bonuses or the legislation.

so now that congress has passed a law to retroactively tax profits of the rich......

lots of bonuses were paid out last year to lots of folks.....why stop at last year....

anyone who is rich doesn't deserve it you know --they had to have done something wrong. :rolleyes:

while i understand the annoyance, the fact is that the money paid in bonuses is approximately 1/10 of 1 percent of the money paid to AIG. It's not life and death... it's just a rallying point for the "populists". That said, I thikn it was an easy vote for the pols (of BOTH parties) b/c they think that the Court will undo it. I think they're right... I don't think it passes constitutional scrutiny on a bunch of levels.....

so again, I wouldn't go tearing my underwear over it for either the bonuses or the legislation.
This is one of the things I have been trying to explain Jillian, but I take it a step further. They should have been the ones to tell the people about this, a month ago when they added the specific amendment to the bill which called for the bonuses to be paid.

What they did instead was, said nothing until the NEWS broke it, then feigned shock, outrage, innocence, LIED about it, everything else. THAT is the real problem here, not the money.

Geithner finally admitted to CNN he pushed to have the bonus protection included in the stimulus bill, just as Dodd admitted yesterday that he was the one to actually make certain that language was inserted into the bill. Both men had denied these claims earlier this week. They both flat-out lied about it.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Geithner: Treasury pushed for bonus loophole « - Blogs from CNN.com

This is one of the things I have been trying to explain Jillian, but I take it a step further. They should have been the ones to tell the people about this, a month ago when they added the specific amendment to the bill which called for the bonuses to be paid.

What they did instead was, said nothing until the NEWS broke it, then feigned shock, outrage, innocence, LIED about it, everything else. THAT is the real problem here, not the money.

Geithner finally admitted to CNN he pushed to have the bonus protection included in the stimulus bill, just as Dodd admitted yesterday that he was the one to actually make certain that language was inserted into the bill. Both men had denied these claims earlier this week. They both flat-out lied about it.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Geithner: Treasury pushed for bonus loophole « - Blogs from CNN.com

If you think lying bothers people like Jillian you would be wrong. Only when NON liberals lie is it a problem. To a die hard liberal a lie told by another liberal is JUST FINE. Liberals are above the law and are allowed to do anything they want because they earned that right by being smarter then us schmucks and the masses. To a liberal the ends ALWAYS justify ANY means, well as long as the Liberals are doing it. Laws are not for Liberals, they are for us masses to dumb to take care of ourselves.

If you think lying bothers people like Jillian you would be wrong. Only when NON liberals lie is it a problem. To a die hard liberal a lie told by another liberal is JUST FINE. Liberals are above the law and are allowed to do anything they want because they earned that right by being smarter then us schmucks and the masses. To a liberal the ends ALWAYS justify ANY means, well as long as the Liberals are doing it. Laws are not for Liberals, they are for us masses to dumb to take care of ourselves.
While I believe what you said here may be true of the far-left leadership in the Dem Party, I tend to give the regular folks the benefit of the doubt that when they see the lies as clear as these are, they too will be deeply annoyed no matter the stripe of the liar(s) involved.

What's with all the drama? You guys are cracking me up being all up in arms about this.

It's not like they are doing this to employees of a company that is in the black, following the rules, and not receiving enormous tax payer bailouts. These people are lucky to have jobs!

Same question to you: How exactly is this taxing profits? The company was LOSING money like crazy and needed tax payer money to avoid going under. Where is the "profit" in that?

the new ceo hired by the government, the same government that intial approved these same bonus payments said they were retention payments which means it was for the people they wanted to keep to fix this mess......did it ever dawn on you all that these may be the folks that stoped it from completly imploding and from it being worse than it was and were going to fix it......if i were them i would give it back and resign....fix it yourself.....

While I believe what you said here may be true of the far-left leadership in the Dem Party, I tend to give the regular folks the benefit of the doubt that when they see the lies as clear as these are, they too will be deeply annoyed no matter the stripe of the liar(s) involved.

Then you have not been here long enough to see Jillian and the other Liberals routinely cover for every lie that is spoken by the left. Or dismiss it as unimportant. All the while decrying supposed lies by the right.

Then you have not been here long enough to see Jillian and the other Liberals routinely cover for every lie that is spoken by the left. Or dismiss it as unimportant. All the while decrying supposed lies by the right.
I've been around the web for years on many other message boards. I still give the folks the benefit of the doubt, for awhile -- but never the leadership.

There are a total of 18 economic advisors that should be on President Obana's team for a return to prosperity. We have one, Tim Guiethner is about to resign or be fired. Obama won the election in November we are in the worse economic crisis in many years, yet he can't seem to make these appointments. Know why, you can't find enough far left lunitic economists in the country, they don't exist. Now our President is out in California doing a Leno show and betting on March madness. Is this the change we voted for, somehow I don't think so.

Taxing them at 90% is just wrong. It shows how easily the government can change the rules if they want to. Both sides are wrong in this mess.

Taxing them at 90% is just wrong. It shows how easily the government can change the rules if they want to. Both sides are wrong in this mess.
How are "both sides" wrong? Repubs were left totally out of the AIG bailout process.

Now, if you're talking about House members who voted 'yea' on this targeted, punitive, unconstitutional taxation, yeah I agree.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

How are "both sides" wrong? Repubs were left totally out of the AIG bailout process.

Now, if you're talking about House members who voted 'yea' on this targeted, punitive, unconstitutional taxation, yeah I agree.

Both sides being AIG and the Democrats.

that isn't correct giethner created a loan program of 40 bil prior to tarp i under bush then tarp i was passed under bush and they got 165 bill.....

that isn't correct giethner created a loan program of 40 bil prior to tarp i under bush then tarp i was passed under bush and they got 165 bill.....
Geithner was president of the Federal Reserve bank of NY at that time. None of THIS bonus money was handed out under those plans. THIS one is the Dem's baby all the way. They themselves even admit that. None of them is blaming Bush. I'll at least give them credit for that. This is theirs. They own it.

And of course you are aware that the Congress was controlled by the DEMOCRATS?

Seems to me that as galling as it is that Chris Dodd and Tim Geithner will get fingers shaken at them but otherwise get a pass. . . .

And as galling as it is that it is now clear that President Obama, or at least his top advisors, knew this was going to happen some time ago. . . .

And as galling as it is that all those executives who ran AIG into the ground will be rewarded with millions and millions of dollars for doing that. . . .

There is a larger issue at stake here that should strike fear into the heart of every American patriot.

That issue is that our Congress is presuming to target a specific group for punative taxes, and given the great groundswell of anger out there, probably most taxpayers won't care. But such a move by our government will put all of us at risk. Let a precedent be set for that without challenge and none of us will be safe. A increasingly power drunk leadership from the head down might just exercise additional disciplines as they see fit. And that puts us on a slippery slope that every principle in our Constitution was intended to avoid and could leave us all unprotected and vulnerable.

They can't do this. And we can't allow it.

Seems to me that as galling as it is that Chris Dodd and Tim Geithner will get fingers shaken at them but otherwise get a pass. . . .

And as galling as it is that it is now clear that President Obama, or at least his top advisors, knew this was going to happen some time ago. . . .

And as galling as it is that all those executives who ran AIG into the ground will be rewarded with millions and millions of dollars for doing that. . . .

There is a larger issue at stake here that should strike fear into the heart of every American patriot.

That issue is that our Congress is presuming to target a specific group for punative taxes, and given the great groundswell of anger out there, probably most taxpayers won't care. But such a move by our government will put all of us at risk. Let a precedent be set for that without challenge and none of us will be safe. A increasingly power drunk leadership from the head down might just exercise additional disciplines as they see fit. And that puts us on a slippery slope that every principle in our Constitution was intended to avoid and could leave us all unprotected and vulnerable.

They can't do this. And we can't allow it.

Telling Liberals they can not do something doesn't worrk, they do not care what you think. They do not care what the Constitution or the laws say, they never have. Those things are for the masses to placate them , the liberals are above such mundane things. They are just looking out for us cause we are to stupid to do it ourselves.

But hey notice how they have completely drowned out the fact that BILLIONS of our tax dollars were sent over seas?

Geithner was president of the Federal Reserve bank of NY at that time. None of THIS bonus money was handed out under those plans. THIS one is the Dem's baby all the way. They themselves even admit that. None of them is blaming Bush. I'll at least give them credit for that. This is theirs. They own it.

And as Diuretic, I believe said, Congress, Treasury, and the administration are close to inciting riots. They have not been blindsided, they are well aware of what happened, what is happening, and what they are doing and have done:

washingtonpost.com

Inside AIG-FP, Feeling the Public's Wrath
By Brady Dennis
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 19, 2009; C01

WILTON, Conn., March 18 -- A solitary flat-screen television hangs on the back wall of the trading floor inside the headquarters of AIG Financial Products here. Wednesday afternoon, the most-talked-about employees in America huddled around it to find out just how despised they have become.

They watched quietly as members of Congress referred to them as greedy and incompetent. They heard more than one demand that their names be released to the seething American public. They heard the chairman of American International Group, Edward M. Liddy, tell lawmakers that people, in e-mails sent to AIG-FP, suggested that the firm's leaders "should be executed with piano wire around their necks."

The evening before, the firm's chief operating officer, Gerry Pasciucco -- whom Liddy recruited in November from Morgan Stanley to shut down Financial Products before it could do more harm to the economy -- had gathered them together in the same spot.

Pasciucco urged them to keep their heads down, to act professionally and to continue working to extricate Financial Products from its more than $1.6 trillion in outstanding derivative contracts. He acknowledged that the past few days have been like being "inside the piñata."

In reply, they told him that they worried mostly about getting shot, despite the guards now patrolling the parking lot, the front door and some of their homes.

A sense of fear hung in the room -- the palpable, unsettling kind that flashes across people's eyes. But there was anger, too. No one would express it publicly, of course. Who wants to hear a wealthy financier complain? And yet, within those walls off Danbury Road lies a deep sense of betrayal -- first by their former colleagues, now by their elected leaders.

The handful of souls who championed the firm's now-infamous credit-default swaps are, by nearly every account, long since departed. Those left behind to clean up the mess, the majority of whom never lost a dime for AIG, now feel they have been sold out by their Congress and their president.

"They've chosen to throw us under the bus," said a Financial Products executive, one of several who spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing reprisals. "They have vilified us."

They say what is missing from this week's hysteria is perspective. The very handsome retention payments they received over the past week were set in motion early last year when the firm's former president, Joe Cassano, was on his way out the door. Financial Products was already running into trouble on its risky credit bets, and the year ahead looked grim. People were weighing offers from other firms, and AIG executives feared that too many departures could lead to disaster....

....The Financial Products staff met twice Wednesday inside one of the firm's large, glass-walled conference rooms to discuss the boss's letter. Numerous employees indicated that they would be willing to return the money, but most wanted nothing more to do with the firm. It was a preview of the possible exodus to come, one that concerns Liddy himself.

"My fear is that the damage is done," he told a congressional subcommittee. "That they will return [the money], but that they will return it with their resignations."

There is little doubt within Financial Products that he's right about that.

"Nobody is going to give it back and then stay," said one of the firm's employees. "If they give back the money, then they will walk. And they will walk into the arms of AIG's counterparties."

In the meantime, the e-mails from the public have continued to roll in, including death threats and calls to blow up the firm's Wilton headquarters. Reporters and photographers have camped out in front of the offices in London and Connecticut. They have staked out employees' houses. The New York Post identified one executive and labeled him "Jackpot Jimmy." Another employee had to relocate his family after a London tabloid printed his address. A protest group is organizing an "AIG magical mystery tour" Saturday, loading up a 47-seat bus to stop at Financial Products and at the homes of some of its executives.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

What's with all the drama? You guys are cracking me up being all up in arms about this.

It's not like they are doing this to employees of a company that is in the black, following the rules, and not receiving enormous tax payer bailouts. These people are lucky to have jobs!

Same question to you: How exactly is this taxing profits? The company was LOSING money like crazy and needed tax payer money to avoid going under. Where is the "profit" in that?

the new ceo hired by the government, the same government that intial approved these same bonus payments said they were retention payments which means it was for the people they wanted to keep to fix this mess......did it ever dawn on you all that these may be the folks that stoped it from completly imploding and from it being worse than it was and were going to fix it......if i were them i would give it back and resign....fix it yourself.....

No, it didn't dawn on me. I don't see why it should either.

You see, I work for a private investment firm and if we don't turn a profit, we don't get bonuses.

Crazy concept, I know.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back