House Approves Bill to Reclaim AIG Bonuses through New Tax

Wait ... the measure is defeated. Within the past few minutes many changed their vote. I'm watching Fox right now.

I'm talking about the bill to tax the AIG bonus money. It passed then I thought they said it didn't. CNN has it that it passed 328-93. Don't know what I thought I heard about it not passing.

ABC News: Dodd vs. Treasury: Who Is Responsible for AIG Loophole?

Looks like this whole thing was all about how to do this legally.
Dodd is no longer denying this was his baby. And the issue isn't why it was done, or even what it is. It's the lying, blame shifting, coming up with anonymous people to blame, their false outrage, etc. that is not playing too well with the folks.

We're talking about a lousy DIME for every $100 AIG received of our money, to meet contractual obligations that if not met, could have cost 30-40 cents for every $100. They could have headed this off and been up-front about it, a month ago. Had they done so, it would be no issue now.

Communism here we come, oh wait ......

nah this more like a banana republic......passing legislation to encourage a behaviour....having the whole thing blow up in their face......blaming everyone but themselves.....passing bills without reading them to try to fix their mistake....then holding hearings blaming others for their new round of mistakes......then passing laws after the fact to fix yet another one of their fuck ups......

i sure hope this changes soon.......

Could you go get his quote of denial?
You continue to want to be spoonfed. His denial is a matter of record, and has been posted in the big thread on this mess. He originally said his amendment had "teeth" to stop these bonuses, and that someone unknown to him or anyone else, changed his amendment.

However, it then came out that his amendment actually specified these bonuses would be paid, and no one changed it. This happened last month, in a closed-door session with only him, Rahm Emmanuel, and some handpicked Senators and House members, all Dem.

He then came on TV and changed his story.

Here's just one local report, from yesterday:

Dodd denies AIG allegations | WTNH.com

And now you know he was lying right there. It's 100 degrees from what he is saying now that the truth is out.

By the way, just to humor your need to be spoonfed, I googled "Dodd denies" and this was hit #1. Try this kind of stuff from now on in the future.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The House of Representatives passed legislation Thursday to try to recoup bonuses paid to Wall Street executives with taxpayer money.

The measure passed, 328-93; most Democrats supported the measure while Republicans were sharply divided.

A two-thirds majority among all members voting was required for passage.

The measure would tax individuals on any bonuses received in 2009 from companies getting $5 billion or more in money from the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. Bonuses for people with incomes over $250,000 would be taxed at a 90 percent rate.

The measure now moves to the Senate for further consideration.

House passes bill taxing Wall Street bonuses - The CNN Wire - CNN.com Blogs

Forum List

Back