hourly vs salaried pay--why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by harmonica, Nov 8, 2019.

1. martybegan

martybegan Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,129
    In most States, exempt just means exempt from time and a half, not OT. To be exempt from OT you need to reach a certain annual salary.

Plus most companies realize they will lose high value employees if they don't offer things like bonuses to compensate.

2. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49,840
    No worries!~

3. Flash

Flash Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,711
    Usually salaried people are required to work more than 40 hours a week. If they are lower level they still may be eligible for over time. If they are higher level they usually get bonuses.

I was an Engineer for 30 years. Always salaried. Always worked a ton of hours. I didn't start getting really good bonuses until I became a Manager and Director. My last position the bonus was 60% of the salary. The bonuses and upper level salaried benefits allowed me to take a comfortable early retirement at 55.

However, after I retried I did consulting work. I negotiated an hourly wage with the consulting firm since I already had benefits and did not want to work another 60 hr work week. Worked out pretty good for the few years I wanted to do it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. harmonica

harmonica Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,847
    ty for the reply ..I've worked with engineers for over 15 years.....I guess some were salaried and some hourly ...they seemed to work OT a lot

5. martybegan

martybegan Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,129
    That really depends on the State in question, and the companies own policies.

In my company salaried people below a certain line make straight time OT, and above a certain line do not, but are in a bonus system.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Flash

Flash Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,711

Some lower level Engineers are eligible for over time depending upon who they work for. However, once they move up they are usually put on bonus.

Yes they do work a lot of hours.