hourly vs salaried pay--why?

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
....why pay some hourly and some salary? what are the advantages for the company? thanks all civil replies

....why pay some hourly and some salary? what are the advantages for the company? thanks all civil replies

Salaried employees get ripped off by the company they work for because the employer can work them more than 40 hours a week without paying over time.

Salaried employees get ripped off by the company they work for because the employer can work them more than 40 hours a week without paying over time.

Only in certain situations, and most exempt employees are also compensated by bonuses.

I am salaried, and exempt, but I still get paid for extra hours, only with straight time.

My next promotion removes my ability to get OT, but also makes me eligible for bonuses that are almost guaranteed.

Salaried employees save a company money, if they do it right, from the nickel & dime overtime. If they work 42 hours or 49 hours, they make the same thing. Plus it simplifies payroll.

Hourly saves the company money if the employees can be clocked out early or the length of the day is not set. But it can also hurt them. When I was moved from a line crew to being a safety inspector/trainer, I got a raise. I also mentioned it might be good to move me to salary. My boss thought I shouldn't be salary. There were 7 jobs around the state of Alabama that I was responsible for. Most weeks I hit 40 hours before lunch on Wednesday, and it was overtime after that.

Salaried workers can also collect overtime, which some people do not know.

There are some salaried positions that are exempt from being paid overtime. And how much they make counts into that. If they make less than $47k or $48k a year they get overtime.

I get day rates. That means there's variation in how much work goes in to a "typical" day (which really does not exist) but if the day gets inordinately long I charge o/t.

Only in certain situations, and most exempt employees are also compensated by bonuses.

I am salaried, and exempt, but I still get paid for extra hours, only with straight time.

My next promotion removes my ability to get OT, but also makes me eligible for bonuses that are almost guaranteed.

I worked for a electrical power contractor as a safety inspector. My salary was based on $30 an hour. One week, after working a ton of hours on the weekend, I got a check that was almost double my regular pay. Turns out it was overtime. Working the long hours on storm damage earned some pretty serious checks back then.

I worked for a electrical power contractor as a safety inspector. My salary was based on $30 an hour. One week, after working a ton of hours on the weekend, I got a check that was almost double my regular pay. Turns out it was overtime. Working the long hours on storm damage earned some pretty serious checks back then.

In most States, exempt just means exempt from time and a half, not OT. To be exempt from OT you need to reach a certain annual salary.

Plus most companies realize they will lose high value employees if they don't offer things like bonuses to compensate.

Usually salaried people are required to work more than 40 hours a week. If they are lower level they still may be eligible for over time. If they are higher level they usually get bonuses.

I was an Engineer for 30 years. Always salaried. Always worked a ton of hours. I didn't start getting really good bonuses until I became a Manager and Director. My last position the bonus was 60% of the salary. The bonuses and upper level salaried benefits allowed me to take a comfortable early retirement at 55.

However, after I retried I did consulting work. I negotiated an hourly wage with the consulting firm since I already had benefits and did not want to work another 60 hr work week. Worked out pretty good for the few years I wanted to do it.

Usually salaried people are required to work more than 40 hours a week. If they are lower level they still may be eligible for over time. If they are higher level they usually get bonuses.

I was an Engineer for 30 years. Always salaried. Always worked a ton of hours. I didn't start getting really good bonuses until I became a Manager and Director. My last position the bonus was 60% of the salary. The bonuses and upper level salaried benefits allowed me to take a comfortable early retirement at 55.

However, after I retried I did consulting work. I negotiated an hourly wage with the consulting firm since I already had benefits and did not want to work another 60 hr work week. Worked out pretty good for the few years I wanted to do it.
ty for the reply ..I've worked with engineers for over 15 years.....I guess some were salaried and some hourly ...they seemed to work OT a lot

Salaried employees save a company money, if they do it right, from the nickel & dime overtime. If they work 42 hours or 49 hours, they make the same thing. Plus it simplifies payroll.

Hourly saves the company money if the employees can be clocked out early or the length of the day is not set. But it can also hurt them. When I was moved from a line crew to being a safety inspector/trainer, I got a raise. I also mentioned it might be good to move me to salary. My boss thought I shouldn't be salary. There were 7 jobs around the state of Alabama that I was responsible for. Most weeks I hit 40 hours before lunch on Wednesday, and it was overtime after that.

Salaried workers can also collect overtime, which some people do not know.

That really depends on the State in question, and the companies own policies.

In my company salaried people below a certain line make straight time OT, and above a certain line do not, but are in a bonus system.

ty for the reply ..I've worked with engineers for over 15 years.....I guess some were salaried and some hourly ...they seemed to work OT a lot

Some lower level Engineers are eligible for over time depending upon who they work for. However, once they move up they are usually put on bonus.

Yes they do work a lot of hours.

Forum List

Back