Hot Stuff on C-Span

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Congressional Comm. Hearings with the Post office and their unions. Eighty cents of every dollar taken in by the post office goes to wages, retirement an benefits of the postal workers. The Post Office is Broke and want a taxpayer handout..

fuck them

Finally something I agree with you on Willow. Fuck the post office. They're doing poorly because they keep raising prices, and implementing new stupid rules (such as if your package is more than 1lb you have to upgrade the shipping for it-don't have the cheaper options anymore).

There problem isn't due to funds-it's due to policies. I wait forever in line to get my packages out (the new machine never works-and they're too lazy to ever fix it), then they charge the receiver more money because I didn't pay enough (when they obviously give me the prices). I used to sell stuff on ebay just for fun on the weekends, I don't do it anymore because their prices and service keeps getting worse, and worse.

No bailouts for USPS.

As much as I feel for the employees of the USPS, they need to make reforms. The least they could do is cut mail delivery to 3 or 4 times a week. The stamp price increases are just the start, they need to stop replacing the people who retire and make the postal office more efficient.

The post office does have some major issues to deal with.
But a 44 cent stamp is a deal, just look at the cost of other countries postage.
I really get tired of people crying about the price of a stamp. I do believe that a 5 day work week is a good idea, 3-4 day work week would hurt small businesses big time.

As much as I feel for the employees of the USPS, they need to make reforms. The least they could do is cut mail delivery to 3 or 4 times a week. The stamp price increases are just the start, they need to stop replacing the people who retire and make the postal office more efficient.

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates.

In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer. Such is it when government masquerades as free market entities.
http://jcrw.us/system/files/ruth/pdf/Glen Beck Arguing with Idiots.pdf

The post office does have some major issues to deal with.
But a 44 cent stamp is a deal, just look at the cost of other countries postage.
I really get tired of people crying about the price of a stamp. I do believe that a 5 day work week is a good idea, 3-4 day work week would hurt small businesses big time.

I said packages-not stamps. If you don't think the post office has been hiking prices for packages, and more than that changing the rules of how you can send out packages-you don't ship packages out that often.

Forum List

Back