Horror flicks....

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
I was thinking about how different they are today than when I was growing up(in the 80's). So,are they better and scarier today or were they better then? I'm thinking of the good 'ol days of Freddie,Jason,and Michael.

Sorry if this should be in chat,I wasn't sure.

It's tough to say. Most people would probably agree that the late 70's and early 80's was probably the heyday for the horror genre (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Exorcist, Last House on the Left, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Dawn of the Dead).

The majority of the horror movies of the mid-to-late 80's, though, were (or at least seemed like) cheap ripoffs of those earlier movies. Surely, though, if you grew up with those movies, you'll have a soft place in your heart for them. I like them, but more from a so-bad-they're-good kinda way; I watch movies like "Jason Takes Manhattan" or "Sleepaway Camp" as comedies more than horror, but in that respect they are entertaining.

Today's horror movies are mostly crap, too. For a while, we had finally gotten rid of the slasher genre, but then "Scream" came out and brought it back in full-force. Don't get me wrong, I love "Scream" and "Scream 2", but if I had known they were going to be bringing movies like "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" into existence, I never would've liked them.

Lately, it seems that people are at least trying to do something different with the genre. Movies like Blair Witch, 28 Days Later, Cabin Fever, or the new Open Water, while you may not like them, you have to appreciate them for not just rehashing the same old formula.

It's hard to decide which is better. You like what you like, and that's it!

PS: If you're looking for a great recent horror movie, definitely check out 28 Days Later, it gave me that deep, disturbed sense of fear that stayed with me for days after I saw it.

I thought the Ring was scary as hell. Some of the newer horro flicks are taking it in new directions. Freddie and Jason, even the early ones are great comedies now. Especially Freddie. Thats a freaking laugh riot.

My gosh! Because of Freddie,I didn't go to sleep on time for weeks.I would lay in bed terrified to go to sleep. I like some of the new movies,but I guess the ones from the ol days were a little scarier in that"jump out and get you" sense. Blair Witch Project was scary I thought and overall a good movie. I guess when you grow up with something,you do tend to think that is the best.

Dan and insein-I will try to check both of those movies out,we will probably rent next weekend. Oh,and Halloween is just around the corner too!!!!(Can you tell I'm looking forward to our first Halloween in the new house?)

krisy said:
My gosh! Because of Freddie,I didn't go to sleep on time for weeks.I would lay in bed terrified to go to sleep. I like some of the new movies,but I guess the ones from the ol days were a little scarier in that"jump out and get you" sense. Blair Witch Project was scary I thought and overall a good movie. I guess when you grow up with something,you do tend to think that is the best.

Dan and insein-I will try to check both of those movies out,we will probably rent next weekend. Oh,and Halloween is just around the corner too!!!!(Can you tell I'm looking forward to our first Halloween in the new house?)

The ring is the scariest horror flick ive ever seen. I'd rate it higher then the exorcist even. The shining also scares the piss out of you. Stephen King's "It" gave me nightmares till i was 11 or 12. Hell i still get scared when i watch that movie. Tim curry frightens me everytime i look at him.

Jason for awhile scared me when i was between 7 and 9. But now i watch them and its a laugh riot.

There's a good list for you

The Ring
IT
Shining
The House on haunted hill (more freaky then scary)

BLair with sucked ass. Just had to add that in there.

insein said:
BLair with sucked ass. Just had to add that in there.

See, I thought The Ring sucked ass. Horror movies, more than any other genre, elicit the most polar responses from people.

Dan Dan, how could you have forgotten "Hell Raisers" this I thought was not only scary, but disgusting, guts being ripped apart and all. I liked the ring too, it was creepy, more so the end. I also thought that Ghost Ship was pretty good too - in the beginning, I thought it was going to stink, but picked up a bit.

I think some of the horror today has just gotten a bit silly though.

I've never seen Hellraiser! I saw a few minutes of it at your house one time, but I've just never watched the whole thing, not sure why.

First, I agree with Dan about 28 Days Later.. that's one of the best horror movies I've seen. Scared the shit out of me. If you can get past the british accent, the movie is great! (I hear they're making a Part II. Did you hear that Dan?)

As far as the 80s movies... Michael Myers had me scared shitless every halloween. That's one of the only movies that I can say I enjoyed almost every movie in the series. The Entity is a reeeeeally good scary one on ghosts... That had me so damn scared I was afraid in my own home. Definitely worth seeing. :thup:

I hate clowns so "It" just made me pissed off for a few days>
For some odd reason the only movies that ever an effect on me AFTER
the movie were:
Signs
and The Ring.

Signs scared the shit outta me for some reason...
I carried a water bottle to bed with me that night.

You were scared of the rubber alien that carried no weapon and looked atrophied to the point that i wouldnt need water to kick its ass. NM the assinine fact that it came to take over a planet COVERED BY 75% OF THE SUBSTANCE THAT MELTS THEM!!!! That movie blew. You knew there was aliens in your field and yet you don't own a gun. What the hell kind of farmer are you?

insein said:
You were scared of the rubber alien that carried no weapon and looked atrophied to the point that i wouldnt need water to kick its ass. NM the assinine fact that it came to take over a planet COVERED BY 75% OF THE SUBSTANCE THAT MELTS THEM!!!! That movie blew. You knew there was aliens in your field and yet you don't own a gun. What the hell kind of farmer are you?

Ya I don't know what it was.... it was just kinda erie!

Well,I am definitely going to have to see 28 days later and the Ring. The Ring sounds so familiar though. I wonder if that's a movie we rented and I fell asleep on?!I'll have to ask my hubby. Signs was kind of scary,but not too bad I thought.

Signs was filmed right here in Bucks County, PA. About 20 mins from my house. It got tons of hype and then it was terrible. I really think M. Night is a fraud. Sixth Sense was great, but everything else has been downhill.

Forum List

Back