Horrific MMA injury

Actually eye loss is rather rare. Its the cauliflower ears and brain damage that is the real issue.
It's all funny until someone spends the rest of his life drooling in a cup.....then it's hilarious

Better?

A little bit.

But any sport, especially combat sports, have that level of risk. If people want to take those risks in such an organized way, why stop them?
As long as we don't have to foot the bill for the nursing home I say let them beat each other to a pulp

One can say that about any risky activity. Should we also ban skiing and mountain biking?
Of course
everyone is supposed to have their own insurance policies now aren't they?

In "theory".

....... No headbutting, eye guaging, groin shots, and weight classes. Sorry thats not enough.

What further rules would you need to soothe your tender nerves?

They should be wearing head gear in the very least. Id like to see that happen.

Do you think headgear should be required in professional boxing matches?

Honestly yes.

Perhaps you fail to grasp the fundamental function of combat sports.

....... No headbutting, eye guaging, groin shots, and weight classes. Sorry thats not enough.

Honestly yes.

And how is headgear in conflict with the fundamental function of combat sports? If it was your son fighting, would you prefer for him to have head protection or no?

Honestly yes.

And how is headgear in conflict with the fundamental function of combat sports? .....

When you can answer that you'll know what the hell I'm talking about.

Honestly yes.

And how is headgear in conflict with the fundamental function of combat sports? .....

When you can answer that you'll know what the hell I'm talking about.

Enlighten me, then, why don't you? And you could also answer my other question.

Combat sports serve the same function in society today that they have always played, and it is a vital one. Combat sports not only allow those few with the skills and courage to engage in single combat to test their own skills and will (since the beginning of human history a large part of the very definition of manhood), but they act as a relief valve for the inherently violent humans that populate civilized society. Spectators exorcise the bloodlust and aggression that is inextricably part of the human condition by vicariously experiencing the violence they witness without experiencing the risk, pain, and exhaustion that the combatants assume on their behalf.

Children just learning the skills involved are obviously more protected from harm until they are old enough, strong enough, and skilled enough to take on risks with the awareness and proficiency to do so responsibly. Even seasoned professionals take greater precautions while training than they will during actual competition.

Forum List

Back