Hoping For the Worst

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2107193/

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    It is deeply distressing that Democrats have produced a candidate who is so unelectable that only a major national tragedy may provide the impetus to bring him to office.

It is profoundly revolting that there are a great many Democrats fervently hoping for just such an event.

3. Zxenith

Zxenith Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Honestly, at this point I don't think anything Bush does will be viewed negatively against him by republicans. Republicans, in general, seem to defend just about any moronic act Bush is involved in doing.

I agree. I have no idea how the Democratic primaries churned out Kerry. I definately think there needs to be some reform for primaries, especially when some states allowed republicans to vote for candidates in a democratic primary ??? Can you say "Conflict of interest"? Also, the first states involved in the primaries/caucases are by no means states that reflect mainstream American. The first primary should be a state such as Florida, New York, California, etc. After that you can mix in some smaller states and go from there, shrug.

It is also sad that some Democrats want a tragedy to occur to hurt Bush. Whats scarier is that Bush can outsource your job, send your son to fight his war, increase deficit spending to epic proportions, thereby undoing social programs like social security, and some people will still vote for him. I wonder if this can be classified by any psychological disorder.. seriously. Its almost like Stockholm syndrome, but in a larger scale lol.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Are you serious? Look at this thread and see how many Republicans, including me, have criticized Bush for things he has done.

Stockholm syndrome... how cynical can you get? What you fail to acknowledge is that the economy is on the rise, and outsourcing works both ways - there are hundred of thousands of jobs in the US created by foreign companies. Should we get rid of those? And nowhere has Bush said that he wants to undo SS. He wants to allow younger people (like me) to have the chance to take personal responsibility for my own retirement, and frankly, it's a great idea - the cureent Ponzi scheme will not last forever.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    :bang3: i need to write better title threads else they get ignored...
    http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12547

i thought maybe hitchens had crossed the line b/c nobody responded the first time it was posted... however i think he is completely right and it is just sad that kerry and so many dems have stooped this low

they're hoping for more death and destruction of innocent iraqis and our men and women over there... WTF is that?

6. Zxenith

Zxenith Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, I did see that thread, and the noticed that alot of the criticism was selective, at best. I loved the response regarding one of Bush's mistakes was to have Ted Kennedy write his education bill. The thread is a bit of a joke.

As for the syndrome thing, yeah its cynical, I suppose, but doesnt seem too far off. I really wonder if there is a syndrome to describe it though. It goes for both parties, but it seems, maybe just because of current administration, to be more dominant among Republicans.

Outsourcing good? I heard that from Bush too, I also heard him say quotes like "Fuzzy Math", so I am not really impressed. I am sure outsourcing is good for some people. If you own a company, and want some dirt cheap labor, you can stand to make a profit outsourcing. If you are an American worker trying to compete against someone willing to work pennies on the dollar for what you are working for, then its not.

No he never said it, hes just doing it. Unfortunately, Americans either don't grasp it, in general, or don't think it will hurt them. I keep seeing this. Smart people who become "naive" when dealing with Bush's agenda. Its pretty damn clear that you are going to undo SS if you continue massive deficit spending, in which you force a reason to dip into the "lock box" as Gore coined so well four years ago. This is nothing new, and you probably know it, just will not admit it, because that would imply that Bush, indeed, is undoing Social Security.

I think its a good idea to have more options for dealing with your retirement finances, but trying to pull the wool over people's eyes, and spending like there is no tomorrow, isn't my idea of a good president. I really do not like Kerry either, and the recent Democratically endorsed extension to Bush's Tax plan, shows you just where Democrats put their priorities. But, I guess I can see why a bunch of rich politicians might want to pay less taxes, if they haven't already found a loop hole to avoid it altogether. :dunno:

Can I have a 3rd party please, one that doesn't lie, cheat, and steal??

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Be my Guest !!----suggestions?

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    talk to NATO he has three of our initial planks for the third party platform....

9. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I think you're misinterpreting the motivation of a many people. It's not that I believe George Bush to be flawless - far from it. But I believe that electing john kerry to the presidency would be a disaster on an epic scale. It will take us many years to recover from the damage caused by Clinton. If kerry gets into office, we may never recover. I don't like to admit this, but the fact is that a good part of my enthusiasm for GW is based on my loathing for kerry.

Those same things can and WILL be done by kerry if he is elected. Job outsourcing has actually been going on for decades under multiple administrations of both parties. You can thank the rotten bastards in our State Department for much of that. Social Security is going to die unless something major is done to fix it. Privatization was a good idea. Guess which party killed that? Guess which party destroyed the social security trust fund so that they could get their slimy hands on all that money? Guess which party keeps tacking on ancillary programs to social security which further degrades its solvency? George Bush wanted to improve the education system by privatization and giving parents the means to send their children to the schools of their choice. Guess which party killed that. Guess which senator has the most gigantic pork project in the history of man going on in his state? A project that is sucking BILLIONS out of the federal treasury. Do the names "Kennedy" and "Big Dig" ring a bell? Guess which administration gave us NAFTA? Okay, in fairness I'll admit that NAFTA was the spawn of both parties - but Clinton pushed it through.

The fact is that the Democrats are responsible for the very problems that you attribute to George Bush. If you only look at the current administration, you are taking a very narrow view which results in distorted conclusions. If you back up and take a broader perspective, you begin to see that liberals are at the root of most of our national ills today.