Hope&Change Update: Obama administration opposes funding for 9/11 health bill

Neotrotsky

Council to Supreme Soviet
Dec 12, 2009
People's Republic
Hope&Change Update: Obama administration opposes funding for 9/11 health bill

NY pols stunned to learn Obama administration opposes funding for 9/11 health bill

The Obama administration stunned New York's delegation Thursday, dropping the bombshell news that it does not support funding the 9/11 health bill.

The state's two senators and 14 House members met with Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius just hours before President Obama implored in his speech to the nation for Congress to come together and deliver a government that delivers on its promises to the American people.

So the legislators were floored to learn the Democratic administration does not want to deliver for the tens of thousands of people who sacrificed after 9/11, and the untold numbers now getting sick.

Read more: NY pols stunned to learn Obama administration opposes funding for 9/11 health bill

The 9/11 bill would spend about $11 billion over 30 years to care for the growing numbers of people getting sick from their service at Ground Zero, and to compensate families for their losses.

Being totally unemotional here, this is what comes to mind:

Why exactly should we have this 11 billion dollar bill for just one segment of people who have dealt with and survived disasters?

Have they not gotten other special moneys?

Why should they get special funding but not survivors and emergency workers of Katrina? Or the wildfires in California?

The 9/11 bill would spend about $11 billion over 30 years to care for the growing numbers of people getting sick from their service at Ground Zero, and to compensate families for their losses.

Why exactly should we have this 11 billion dollar bill for just one segment of people who have dealt with and survived disasters?

Why should they get special funding but not survivors and emergency workers of Katrina? Or the wildfires in California?

Sure you could but considering

Total cost: $11 billion … over 30 years.

Mixed with

the rumors circulating about the U.S. and UK offering the Taliban $1 billion to play ball in Afghanistan

It looks bad

Mixed with

the rumors circulating about the U.S. and UK offering the Taliban $1 billion to play ball in Afghanistan

It looks bad

That's putting a spin on it though.

I don't see why one group of disaster victims should have preferential treatment over another.

so this means you are against funding food and medicine for the Haitians?

Mixed with

It looks bad

That's putting a spin on it though.

I don't see why one group of disaster victims should have preferential treatment over another.

then cut off funds to Haiti.

nope - you are comparing apples and oranges with a huge difference in terms of degree

I supported money going to help in the initial 9/11 efforts, clean up, and health care for emergency workers exposed to the toxins money that was put out side by side with many international donations. I still do. But question the continued infusion of money. What about those who survived other disaasters?

nope - you are comparing apples and oranges with a huge difference in terms of degree

I supported money going to help in the initial 9/11 efforts, clean up, and health care for emergency workers exposed to the toxins money that was put out side by side with many international donations. I still do. But question the continued infusion of money. What about those who survived other disaasters?

that's what I'm saying, we have commited to Haiti for the short term and the long term.. if we cannot commit to our American volunteers for the long term then we should not commit to anybody. either fund the 9-11 people or fund no one.

Take a look at the bill itself. I know I'm being the devil's advocate here but....

Congress shelved a $10.9 billion bill to provide health care for ground zero workers, partly due to opposition from New York City officials. because they objected to a provision in the bill that would have required the city to pay 10 percent of the cost of a long-term program providing health care to those sick from working amidTrade Center debris.

In addition, it gets more complicated if this person's opinion is accurate: Where To Turn :: View topic - 9/11 Health Care Our View

I think it's inaccurate to simply lay the bill at Obama's feet.

that's what I'm saying, we have commited to Haiti for the short term and the long term.. if we cannot commit to our American volunteers for the long term then we should not commit to anybody. either fund the 9-11 people or fund no one.

Good point. Should we also fund the Katrina survivors then (in fact - are we)?

I think we have to get over this knee-jerk reaction of throwing money at EVERYTHING. We did it after Katrina ( I know, I saw that first hand) and probably half of it went to everything from strippers to boob jobs. Enough already.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back