HOP: A Tax for Liberals Who Feel Guilty

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
A Tax for Guilty Liberals
By Deroy Murdock, Scripps Howard News Service
16-JUN-05

NEW YORK -- President Bush's bipartisan Advisory Panel on Federal Tax Reform should propose a measure to assist a neglected segment of society: the avowedly under-taxed. The H.O.T. Tax would give those who think their levies are too low the ability to pay the steeper tax bills they say they deserve. This is the truly compassionate thing to do.

The H.O.T., or Higher-rate Optional Tax, would offer relief to powerful Democrats and wealthy liberals who cannot stand it when Republicans cut their taxes. Look how lowering taxes has raised the blood pressure of these Americans:

_ "I don't need a tax cut," Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., announced on the Senate floor. "It will not do me any more good. I can't buy more. I can't eat any more. I can't do more, and I want it distributed among the ordinary people who work every day."

_ "I am a traitor to my class," actor Paul Newman said. "I think that tax cuts for wealthy thugs like me are borderline criminal. I live very high off the hog."

_ "I want no tax cuts and want to pay MY FULL SHARE of taxes to support the public good," Oregonian Harry Demarest stated on the Web site of United for a Fair Economy, an anti-tax-cut group co-founded by Chuck Collins, heir to the Oscar Meyer wiener fortune.

The H.O.T. Tax would ease all this pain. The IRS simply would add a small box to the 1040 tax form beside these words:

"If you believe you should be taxed at a rate above that assigned to your income bracket, please indicate here the higher rate you prefer. Kindly calculate your tax liability, and send it in."

For full article:
http://shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=MURDOCK-06-16-05

Well, some of these liberals have stated they'd move out of the Country if
xyz happened too, it did..Forget it, their still here and they sure won't check that box either
(if it were ever really an option).

Mr. P said:
Well, some of these liberals have stated they'd move out of the Country if
xyz happened too, it did..Forget it, their still here and they sure won't check that box either
(if it were ever really an option).

For many of them their Tax records become public, we would find out if they were hypocrites. Well, your right I guess we don't need a test like that we have already seen it with the whole, "If Bush gets reelected I will move to France." How come I have to keep seeing them and hearing these high school dropouts give me my "opinion"?

Mr. P said:
Forget it, their still here and they sure won't check that box either (if it were ever really an option).

I'm with Murdock on this one. Offering them the option is a splendid idea. Of course, they would not take it, but they sure would be forced to keep their big traps shut about giving tax breaks to working people.

no1tovote4 said:
For many of them their Tax records become public, we would find out if they were hypocrites. Well, your right I guess we don't need a test like that we have already seen it with the whole, "If Bush gets reelected I will move to France." How come I have to keep seeing them and hearing these high school dropouts give me my "opinion"?

We won’t need to see their person tax record to know their hypocrites; there won’t ever be any money collected by this tax. No one will pay it.

I've said before that I live in one of the most Republican counties in the country, smack dab in the middle of a blue state-well north, but why be picky? The neighbors across the street from my house while growing up, were probably the only democrats within blocks! To their credit, they returned Social Security checks, marked: We don't need them.

Personally, I thought their politics goofy, but at least they were consistent.

Forum List

Back