Hooking up a tv with Baby Boomers!

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
So my parents got a new tv today at Walmart, a Vizio 1080p 42 inch and with like anything else having to do with tv's and cable I had to hook it up for them. It is quite funny too because they have no idea what they are doing and they kept moving the parts even though I had them all laid out to be ready to use. So I just told my dad to go in the other room and watch the Apple Cup and I would let him know when it was done. :lol:
They had put off buying a new LCD screen because my dad hates anything new anyways but just say as soon I turned the new tv to his football game he couldn't stop smiling.:razz:

My parents are part of the first wave, my mom was born in 46 and my dad born in 47. My mom was actually born I think six months before my uncle/her oldest brother even came back from the Pacific. They hate anything new, my dad hates their microwave because he can't just turn the dial. :lol:

i still love when people give me a blank check to newegg, best buy, etc and want me to build them a computer, home theatre setup, and all those other fun things.

I am the one who picked out the tv! We went a couple of days ago and I found the nerdiest kid working and asked him what were the best tv's for the money they had and then my mother and I looked it up and that is what we decided on and just told my dad that is what they are getting. :lol:

My parents are part of the first wave, my mom was born in 46 and my dad born in 47. My mom was actually born I think six months before my uncle/her oldest brother even came back from the Pacific. They hate anything new, my dad hates their microwave because he can't just turn the dial. :lol:

My mom is '43, my dad '38.

I'm '62.

Do the math. :D

My Mom is the technophobe. My dad and I are gadget people. If I had my Dad's money, I'd have all the toys he has! :D

He firmly believes in that old adage: "He who dies with the most toys wins." :lol:

sounds like my brother! HE has a home theatre with theatre seats with three different levels even and a HD projection screen, I am not sure how big but it is the size of a good size wall. Of course when you own the contruction company, it is cheaper to put in. :D

I'm '62.

My Mom is the technophobe. My dad and I are gadget people. If I had my Dad's money, I'd have all the toys he has! :D

He firmly believes in that old adage: "He who dies with the most toys wins." :lol:
Your mom most of been what 19 when you were born?
My mom was 34, just say I was a huge accident, I have two adoptive brothers from my mom. ;) She didn't think I was really coming until she gave me birth to me. :lol:

I'm '62.

Your mom most of been what 19 when you were born?
My mom was 34, just say I was a huge accident, I have two adoptive brothers from my mom. ;) She didn't think I was really coming until she gave me birth to me. :lol:

Yup....and I have older brother too! :eusa_whistle:

And a younger sister and much much younger brother....who, lets just say came about in circumstances similar to yours. Mom thought she had indigestion and gaseous bloating for 9 months.... :eusa_whistle:

Dumbass (her, not you). :lol:

And yes, I would say that to her face. Only there's no guarantee I'd still have teeth after I said it. :rofl:

my mom thought she had an ulcer! :lol:
She knew she was pregnant after a few months but she had lost many other babies so she figured she would loose me but she never did. I don't know if she really got lucky on that one or not! :lol:

I will get a projector when I buy a hosue hopefully. they are still quite expensive though (esp including the screen) so it not cost effective at this point...

52" HDTV = $1500-2500

1080p projector = 3k, "good" 100 inch projector screen = 3-5k

not quite worth it yet although if you take care of it the screen will last forever.

My mom and dad are in their 80's and are so not in this century as far as this stuff goes. They've never used a computer and never will. They did (reluctantly) get a new tv about 5 years ago. The picture was green and purple but my dad wanted a tv in a console cabinet (like the kind they had circa 1965) but they don't make them anymore. Finally convinced them to get a new stand. They had to get cable a few years back and just a month ago or so had to get Comcast to keep the channels they had due to the digital thing. They had the box but wouldn't hook it up because the World Series was on and they didn't want to miss the end (if something messed up). Ok. I was down two weeks ago ready to hook it up and get them up and running. My dad yelled at me "NO" cause the chimney sweep was coming. I know, I know . . . wth? The tv is next to the fireplace and I guess he thought there were going to be cables all over the place or something. I told him I'd just hook it up and move the box to the other side of the tv and when the chimney sweep left he could move the box to where ever he wanted. NO! I was down today, it's all hooked up but they can't record on their vcr/dvd player. He called Comcast twice and I tried everything I knew and . . . . nothing. He wouldn't let me move the vcr to check the connections. He has the damn Comcast box sideways between the tv stand and the hearth. Like Dad, why don't you get ride of all the kiddy tapes in the bottom of the tv stand and put the box in there? Uh, NO! Oy.

Forum List

Back