Hong Kong Bloggers Post Hopes For Change

Discussion in 'Asia' started by NATO AIR, Apr 4, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Bonnie asked me in a thread a few days ago what my thoughts on Hong Kong were. I'll add those to this thread.

A year ago, when our battle group visited Hong Kong, there was an aura of apprehension among most of the populace. Over drinks and malaysian rice noodles in a bar in Kowloon, I talked to a few students from the university of Hong Kong and they talked about their hopes and fears, and their fears of China violently cracking down on dissent and the people's freedoms were by far overwhelming their hopes.

Now a year later, I see Amnesty International workers boldly enlisting members and support in an effort to document abuses in Hong Kong and China. Falun Gong tapes, dvds, books and cds are sold openly, and members of this group are said to perform their morning routines openly in the beautiful city parks Hong Kong has. The people express both hope and determination in regards to their future. They are no longer scared of China by far, more emboldened by the spread of democracy around the world and their faith that the US and Japan will not let them be oppressed by China.

2. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Nato Air, I was working in Hong Kong in Oct.-Nov. of 2003, and during that time met the crew (on the MTR, and in Wanchai) from the American battle group which was enroute to Iraq. Just out of curiousity, was that your battle group?

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    USS KITTY HAWK (CV-63), Carrier Strike Group Five (The largest in the Navy thank you very much :D )

4. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    That's SWEET, man. I met several of your shipmates while they were on shore leave, bought them drinks, told them good luck and was proud to see them serve. That would be funny if one of them was actually you! I'm sure you'd remember that, though, or maybe not, hehe.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Damn, I wish I were you. Well not exactly. I don't want to run, well maybe but first I have to quit smoking. :smoke:

Then I don't want to be a guy. :thanks:

But other than that, wish I could buy the guys a few rounds and thank them for what they have done and are doing!