‘Homosexuality is wrong, just like rape and adultery’ claims Baptist pastor

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
PastorCraigLedbetter_large.jpg

Pastor Craig Ledbetter

A Baptist pastor has equated gay sex with rape in a condemnation of the forthcoming referendum on same-sex marriage.

“Homosexuality is wrong, just like rape and just like adultery,” Pastor Craig Ledbetter, who heads the Bible Baptist Church of Ballincollig in Cork, told the Irish Examiner last night.

Pastor Ledbetter justified the comparison on the grounds that he believed homosexual practice could never be truly consensual.

“We are dealing with at least one party believing he is right in what he is doing, so it is not really consensual. Two people can consent to commit adultery or consent to rob a bank, but that doesn’t make either of those things right.”

Homosexuality is wrong just like rape and adultery claims Baptist pastor Irish Examiner

PastorCraigLedbetter_large.jpg

Pastor Craig Ledbetter

A Baptist pastor has equated gay sex with rape in a condemnation of the forthcoming referendum on same-sex marriage.

“Homosexuality is wrong, just like rape and just like adultery,” Pastor Craig Ledbetter, who heads the Bible Baptist Church of Ballincollig in Cork, told the Irish Examiner last night.

Pastor Ledbetter justified the comparison on the grounds that he believed homosexual practice could never be truly consensual.

“We are dealing with at least one party believing he is right in what he is doing, so it is not really consensual. Two people can consent to commit adultery or consent to rob a bank, but that doesn’t make either of those things right.”

Homosexuality is wrong just like rape and adultery claims Baptist pastor Irish Examiner

"A Baptist pastor has equated gay sex with rape in a condemnation of the forthcoming referendum on same-sex marriage."

Translation, he has a gay rape fantasy. :)

He's stating that homosexuality is immoral. He's correct.

I don't agree with his definition of "consensual". There's no qualifier that an action need be moral in order for parties to consent to it. However, there is the requirement that a contract be lawful in order to be legally enforceable, and it is absolutely the case that God will not bless a union His Word calls an "abomination".

My proper respects to pastors willing to hold fast to what scripture actually says, not perverting it to conform to their worldly desires, and not joining in the apostasy of the mainstream churches.

I don't agree with his definition of "consensual". There's no qualifier that an action need be moral in order for parties to consent to it. However, there is the requirement that a contract be lawful in order to be legally enforceable, and it is absolutely the case that God will not bless a union His Word calls an "abomination".

My proper respects to pastors willing to hold fast to what scripture actually says, not perverting it to conform to their worldly desires, and not joining in the apostasy of the mainstream churches.
So...are you trying to equate our laws with your god's so-called blessings?

Just shows the US isn't the only place where ignorant bible thumpers live.

He's wrong and decent people know that.

So...are you trying to equate our laws with your god's so-called blessings?
No, I'm commenting on the minister's statement in the OP re consent.

If a homosexual couple wants to wed and they're able to find some church willing to "marry" them, it's their right to do so. That doesn't make it a moral exercise, which is the essence of the minister's comment.

I stopped listening to baptist pastors back when they used to tell us that interracial marriage was wrong. Of course, that message was often lost in the long list of other things that were wrong, from drinking wine to going to movies on Sunday, to failure for women to cover their hair with a hat in church. The Church of Christ were even worse. they refused to even have an organ in church, because music in church was wrong.

Last edited:
I stopped listening to baptist pastors back when they used to tell us that interracial marriage was wrong. Of course, that message was often lost in the long list of other things that were wrong, from drinking wine to going to movies on Sunday, to failure for women to cover their hair with a hat in church. The Church of Christ were even worse. they refused to even have an organ in church, because music in church was wrong.
The pertinent question is whether the church(es) had a defensible basis in scripture for those teachings, or whether they were simply proffering the commandments of men.

I'm under no delusion that many churches preach many doctrines inconsistent with scripture. The goal of a Christian--a disciple of Jesus Christ--is to seek out a church whose doctrines are the doctrines of the Bible, which is God's inspired Word. If a church doesn't preach those doctrines, it isn't a church of Jesus Christ.

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Ezekiel 8:20

Incidentally, are you the 'vandalshandle' from the old MSN message boards?

If so, small world. ;)

The pertinent question is whether the church(es) had a defensible basis in scripture for those teachings, or whether they were simply proffering the commandments of men.

I'm under no delusion that many churches preach many doctrines inconsistent with scripture. The goal of a Christian--a disciple of Jesus Christ--is to seek out a church whose doctrines are the doctrines of the Bible, which is God's inspired Word. If a church doesn't preach those doctrines, it isn't a church of Jesus Christ.

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Ezekiel 8:20

Incidentally, are you the 'vandalshandle' from the old MSN message boards?

If so, small world. ;)

I'll never admit it.....

images

'I felt that I needed to voice my opinion'

Dublin star Ger Brennan explains why he will be voting No in the Marriage Referendum

In this morning's Irish Independent, Dublin footballer Ger Brennan wrote about why he will be voting No in next weeks Marriage Equality Referendum.

The Dublin footballer spoke to The Pat Kenny Show this morning about why he wrote the piece and why he has made his views public.

The St Vincents star speaks about his support for equality but states that the referendum in dealing with Article 41 of the Constitution puts the right of children to have a mother and father at risk.

Brennan also spoke about the governments role in the buildup to the May 22nd referendum saying "I think the government have heavily and cleverly stacked this campaign in favour of the yes vote".

He also stated that he "would 100% vote yes on extending marriage to same sex civil partnerships tomorrow" on the condition that children were protected where possible to have a relationship with their biological parents.

Brennan, who was won All Ireland titles at inter county and club level has said he expects a backlash from the public for making his views known. He has said he would be very comfortable speaking to anyone from the Yes side in a debate on the issues.

"Where there is love between two great people", Brennan thinks that that should be protected and he claims in is in Article 40 on the Constitution.

His preference is though for a man and women to raise a child but clarifies that same sex couples, single parents and grandparents do an "unbelievable job" in raising children.

AUDIO

I felt that I needed to voice my opinion - Newstalk

That is a major side effect of religious dogma; the loss of ability to discern between a victimless act, and one which has a victim. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back