Homosexuality is Bad for Your Health

"Men in general are more promiscuous than women. They have the need to spread their seed more."

Maybe someone who has taken Human Sexuality more recently than I have, can elaborate. I seem to remember there is a center in the brain that controls sexual desire.
In numerous studies, they've found that gay men have the largest size of these centers, followed by straight men, then straight women, then lesbians. (No word on where bisexual people fall in this study.)
Obviously it's just averages and your mileage may vary.

I do think that gay men have more sex because young men in general have a higher level of desire, and don't seem to need to be attached to their partners in the way that women do. There is no woman involved to say "But do you love me? Will you respect me in the morning?"

I've also heard that the trend lately among young gay men is to not use condoms. I don't know, I think it was on Oprah, so it could be wrong.

This is true, men have a hunter mentality. Our teens are given a pass (boys will be boys) regarding sex. But to address an earlier point, it is anal sex that can cause (not just transmit...cause) HIV. Women having anal sex with unclean objects can develop HIV or even chlamydia.
...what? HIV is a disease that can only be contracted through a swap of bodily fluids with a person who has HIV already.

"Women having anal sex with unclean objects can develop HIV or even chlamydia."

What in the what? I missed this earlier. I would supposed maybe if those objects have HIV or chlamydia on them. HIV is a virus. Viruses do NOT just spontaneous come into existence, they have to be passed on.

"Women having anal sex with unclean objects can develop HIV or even chlamydia."

What in the what? I missed this earlier. I would supposed maybe if those objects have HIV or chlamydia on them. HIV is a virus. Viruses do NOT just spontaneous come into existence, they have to be passed on.
Caused by bacteria.

If you've collected any data supporting that, let me be the first to congratulate you on your Nobel prize.

I read an expose in the 1980's that stated that AIDS was originally caused by Africans having sex with monkeys.

I knew that was racist BS. Interesting how anal sex is prevalent in heterosexuals and homosexuals who contact HIV. Anal sex is fraught with dangers as that area is chock full of all the wrong types of bacteria.

HIV is a bacteria that turned into a virus in our anuses????

That's news to me.

I have to admit...your political savvy, while lame and halting, leaves your biological know-how in the dust.

HIV is not a butt-bug. Bacteria do not turn into viruses.

I have to admit...your political savvy, while lame and halting, leaves your biological know-how in the dust.

HIV is not a butt-bug. Bacteria do not turn into viruses.

Okay. So how did HIV come to be?

Hey, I never said I know where it originated. I just know bacteria don't turn into viruses.

And last I heard, the old monkey story was still alive and kicking. Viruses mutate.

But bacteria don't mutate INTO viruses.

Hey, I never said I know where it originated. I just know bacteria don't turn into viruses.

And last I heard, the old monkey story was still alive and kicking. Viruses mutate.

Sorry. I am not a science major. I have a better understanding of political science and technology.

But I don't believe the inter-species story. That sounds too 1980's. I am more apt to believe that some viral infection on the ass of someone who had anal-sex (can you say prostitute?) probably developed the mutation.

So you don't know anymore than I do...you can step off now.

HOly shit, Taomon..

Are you kidding me? Bacteria to Virus? Really, dude?

I know it's more likely for a primate virus to mutate to humans than an anal bacteria mutating to a VIRUS on a prostitute.

OMG! Please watch the DIscovery CHannel. THere actually are virus that have mutated from animals to people (bird flu comes to mind). But as far as I know, not a single case of a bacteria turning magically into a virus.

Here are some "fast facts" from wikipedia, for the uneducated (jillian and taomon)

Two species of HIV infect humans: HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-1 is thought to have originated in southern Cameroon after jumping from wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes troglodytes) to humans during the twentieth century.[11][12] HIV-1 is the virus that was initially discovered and termed LAV. It is more virulent and relatively easy transmitted and is the cause of the majority of HIV infections globally. HIV-2 may have originated from the Sooty Mangabey (Cercocebus atys), an Old World monkey of Guinea-Bissau, Gabon, and Cameroon.[13] HIV-2 is less transmittable than HIV-1 and is largely confined to West Africa.[13

Infection with HIV occurs by the transfer of blood, semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate, or breast milk. Within these bodily fluids, HIV is present as both free virus particles and virus within infected immune cells. The four major routes of transmission are unprotected sexual intercourse, contaminated needles, breast milk, and transmission from an infected mother to her baby at birth.

HIV differs from many viruses in that it has very high genetic variability. This diversity is a result of its fast replication cycle, with the generation of 109 to 1010 virions every day, coupled with a high mutation rate of approximately 3 x 10-5 per nucleotide base per cycle of replication and recombinogenic properties of reverse transcriptase.[55] This complex scenario leads to the generation of many variants of HIV in a single infected patient in the course of one day.[55] This variability is compounded when a single cell is simultaneously infected by two or more different strains of HIV. When simultaneous infection occurs, the genome of progeny virions may be composed of RNA strands from two different strains. This hybrid virion then infects a new cell where it undergoes replication. As this happens, the reverse transcriptase, by jumping back and forth between the two different RNA templates, will generate a newly synthesized retroviral DNA sequence that is a recombinant between the two parental genomes.[55] This recombination is most obvious when it occurs between subtypes.[55]

Allie... did you just use WIKI as a source?

uh, I thought you were hellbent on insisting that wiki is biased and is NOT a good source?

gosh.. it sure is funny how that works...

Viruses can mutate and evolve at an amazing speed. This is why the flu is so difficult for us to master. It keeps changing it's DNA (or is that RNA, I can't remember) and so the flu vaccines from this year probably won't work on the vaccine next year. And if you take the vaccine that is aimed at what the CDC considers the most virulent strain that year, but you come in contact with a different strain, you're out of luck.

HIV most likely mutated from a different virus. All it takes is one little gene to change and suddenly you've got a virus that is incurable.

I had a psych professor in college who went to a CDC conference on HIV/AIDS and gave our class a lecture about it. At the time in the early 90's, the CDC's biggest fear was that HIV was going to mutate into an airborne virus.

Forum List

Back