Homosexuality and Mental Health~

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
This is an article with multiple historical perspectives on homosexuality. The bottom line is, though, that homosexuality came into being 'normal' due to political pressure on the APA:

Homosexuality and Mental Health

Removal from the DSM In 1973, the weight of empirical data, coupled with changing social norms and the development of a politically active gay community in the United States, led the Board of Directors of the American Psychiatric Association to remove homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Some psychiatrists who fiercely opposed their action subsequently circulated a petition calling for a vote on the issue by the Association's membership. That vote was held in 1974, and the Board's decision was ratified.
Subsequently, a new diagnosis, ego-dystonic homosexuality, was created for the DSM's third edition in 1980. Ego dystonic homosexuality was indicated by: (1) a persistent lack of heterosexual arousal, which the patient experienced as interfering with initiation or maintenance of wanted heterosexual relationships, and (2) persistent distress from a sustained pattern of unwanted homosexual arousal.

This new diagnostic category, however, was criticized by mental health professionals on numerous grounds. It was viewed by many as a political compromise to appease those psychiatrists – mainly psychoanalysts – who still considered homosexuality a pathology. Others questioned the appropriateness of having a separate diagnosis that described the content of an individual's dysphoria. They argued that the psychological problems related to ego-dystonic homosexuality could be treated as well by other general diagnostic categories, and that the existence of the diagnosis perpetuated antigay stigma.

Moreover, widespread prejudice against homosexuality in the United States meant that many people who are homosexual go through an initial phase in which their homosexuality could be considered ego dystonic. According to the American Psychiatric Association, "Fears and misunderstandings about homosexuality are widespread.... [and] present daunting challenges to the development and maintenance of a positive self-image in gay, lesbian and bisexual persons and often to their families as well."

In 1986, the diagnosis was removed entirely from the DSM. The only vestige of ego dystonic homosexuality in the revised DSM-III occurred under Sexual Disorders Not Otherwise Specified, which included persistent and marked distress about one's sexual orientation (American Psychiatric Association, 1987; see Bayer, 1987, for an account of the events leading up to the 1973 and 1986 decisions).

I personally think that Dependent Personality Disorder is discriminatory to southern women because southern women are brought up to be dependedent and manipulative. But, I guess there is no political movement with which to get it redacted from the DSM IV TR. I also have to wonder if schizophrenics could lobby hard enough to have their disease declared to be normal.

NOTE: the weight of empirical data,

QUESTION, would anyone who is not gay reading this "choose" to BE gay?

These days, there are subjects where no honest study would be tolerated, like race vs. IQ, or the causes of homosexuality. But, the weight of the evidence is that no one is destined to be a homosexual by condition at birth.

These days, there are subjects where no honest study would be tolerated, like race vs. IQ, or the causes of homosexuality. But, the weight of the evidence is that no one is destined to be a homosexual by condition at birth.
"These days" IQ tests include spatial and pattern recognition. What reputable studies show being gay is a decision, and why would one make that decision?

"These days" IQ tests include spatial and pattern recognition. What reputable studies show being gay is a decision, and why would one make that decision?

Pattern recognition?

Show me one "reputable" study that attempts to challenge the doctrine that people are born homosexual.

This is an article with multiple historical perspectives on homosexuality. The bottom line is, though, that homosexuality came into being 'normal' due to political pressure on the APA:

Removal from the DSM In 1973, the weight of empirical data, coupled with changing social norms and the development of a politically active gay community in the United States, led the Board of Directors of the American Psychiatric Association to remove homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Some psychiatrists who fiercely opposed their action subsequently circulated a petition calling for a vote on the issue by the Association's membership. That vote was held in 1974, and the Board's decision was ratified.
Subsequently, a new diagnosis, ego-dystonic homosexuality, was created for the DSM's third edition in 1980. Ego dystonic homosexuality was indicated by: (1) a persistent lack of heterosexual arousal, which the patient experienced as interfering with initiation or maintenance of wanted heterosexual relationships, and (2) persistent distress from a sustained pattern of unwanted homosexual arousal.

This new diagnostic category, however, was criticized by mental health professionals on numerous grounds. It was viewed by many as a political compromise to appease those psychiatrists – mainly psychoanalysts – who still considered homosexuality a pathology. Others questioned the appropriateness of having a separate diagnosis that described the content of an individual's dysphoria. They argued that the psychological problems related to ego-dystonic homosexuality could be treated as well by other general diagnostic categories, and that the existence of the diagnosis perpetuated antigay stigma.

Moreover, widespread prejudice against homosexuality in the United States meant that many people who are homosexual go through an initial phase in which their homosexuality could be considered ego dystonic. According to the American Psychiatric Association, "Fears and misunderstandings about homosexuality are widespread.... [and] present daunting challenges to the development and maintenance of a positive self-image in gay, lesbian and bisexual persons and often to their families as well."

In 1986, the diagnosis was removed entirely from the DSM. The only vestige of ego dystonic homosexuality in the revised DSM-III occurred under Sexual Disorders Not Otherwise Specified, which included persistent and marked distress about one's sexual orientation (American Psychiatric Association, 1987; see Bayer, 1987, for an account of the events leading up to the 1973 and 1986 decisions).

I personally think that Dependent Personality Disorder is discriminatory to southern women because southern women are brought up to be dependedent and manipulative. But, I guess there is no political movement with which to get it redacted from the DSM IV TR. I also have to wonder if schizophrenics could lobby hard enough to have their disease declared to be normal.

an examination if the dsm shows it to be is a fraud based upon a pseudo science

There shouldn't be a comma after but.

Aside from that, why are you so upset that homosexuals aren't classified as having a mental disorder?

Claiming homosexuality is a mental disorder is the same as claiming Christians are crazy or stupid.

Besides, you make their argument for them and piss them off at the same time.

Homosexuality is a choice.....not an illness.

They claim it is neither.

So you are saying that being gay is SO negative that no one would choose it.

empirical data....

richard_simmons.jpg

Aside from that, why are you so upset that homosexuals aren't classified as having a mental disorder?

Whatever gave you the idea that I am 'upset.' This is a thread for intellectual discussion. It was started off with a history of homosexuality and how various scholars have viewed it.

BTW, I'll put a comma any damned where I please,,,,,,,,,,

I find myself unable to make that choice. I cannot see gay americans as "different".

I find myself unable to make that choice. I cannot see gay americans as "different".

And as one of my teachers used to say, 'no choice is still a choice.'

Pattern recognition?

Show me one "reputable" study that attempts to challenge the doctrine that people are born homosexual.
Pattern recognition was part of the last IQ test I saw. The newer tests take into account spatial intelligence also. They are sometimes called "culture fair", and men tend to have higher scores in pattern recognition, and spacial intelligence. Testing only verbal and math is limiting. I know of no recent work that states being gay is somehow a "choice". With the discrimination against gay americans still widespread, I cannot see why anyone would so "choose".

Whatever gave you the idea that I am 'upset.' This is a thread for intellectual discussion. It was started off with a history of homosexuality and how various scholars have viewed it.

Intellectual? If you say so.

What is your point in starting this thread?

Intellectual? If you say so.

What is your point in starting this thread?

To have a discussion. This IS a discussion forum. DUH!

Forum List

Back