homosexual marriage

jtw4796

Rookie
Sep 29, 2011
A magistrate in the state I live in refused to marry a gay couple even though homosexual marriage was just declared legal by the courts. So a couple of questions.
1 If a gay couple ask a conservative preacher to marry them can he site his religious beliefs and say no?
2 If the answer to question 1 is yes should a magistrate be able to say no because of his beliefs?
My only fear now that it is legal is that preachers are going to be forced into marrying them even though it is against his beliefs.

Everyone will eventually be forced to participate in one way or another in gay marriage and gay family life. At least until resentment contributes to the end of the whole thing.

If a church is providing a wedding service privately, then it would be a violation of the separation of church and state to demand they marry a gay couple.

If a magistrate is operating as a representative of the state, however, he or she should be required to follow the law of the land.

This seems an easy enough distinction to make to me.

A magistrate in the state I live in refused to marry a gay couple even though homosexual marriage was just declared legal by the courts. So a couple of questions.
1 If a gay couple ask a conservative preacher to marry them can he site his religious beliefs and say no?
2 If the answer to question 1 is yes should a magistrate be able to say no because of his beliefs?
My only fear now that it is legal is that preachers are going to be forced into marrying them even though it is against his beliefs.

The answer to question 1 is yes, no church is required to marry anyone. Just as the Catholic church can refuse to marry non catholics so can a preacher refuse to marry those who don't share his beliefs.

The answer to 2 is no because a magistrate is not a religious office. It is a secular one and so is a marriage contract. If the magistrate refuses he can be fired for failing to perform the duties of his office.

Your fears are groundless.

Something you might want to research though is that Pope Francis is recommending welcoming gays and divorced catholics back into the RCC. He is setting a precedent here that might be adopted by other churches. He has no power to make them accept gays and perform gay marriage but if gays are welcome in catholic churches and shunned by protestants it isn't hard to figure out who the winners and losers are going to be.

1- Yes, because the marriage is within the rules of his church.

2- No, because a Magistrate is an official of the state, not the church.

Everyone will eventually be forced to participate in one way or another in gay marriage and gay family life.
Forced to participate? That statement is absurd, but to be expected coming from you.
At least until resentment contributes to the end of the whole thing.
Sorry, but that isn't going to happen. You can hate it as much as you want, but gay rights are here to stay. If for some reason you can't live with that, then tough shit.

When a baker must bake that wedding cake, a photographer forced to attend a gay wedding, they are forced to participate.

Gay rights are here to stay, the same way they were here to stay in Mesopotamia, Greece, Egypt and Rome. Gay rights stayed until they didn't stay any more.

A pastor; liberal or conservative, should not be forced to marry anyone against their wishes. That is a matter of the church, not the state.

The magistrate on the other hand is an official of the state and must preform his lawful duty regardless of his personal views on the matter. Gays are legally allowed to marry in his jurisdiction so he must perform the duties of his office. If he refuses to do so then he should either resign or be fired for failure to perform those duties. A stripper that does not take their clothes off doesn't have a job. Simple as that.

When a baker must bake that wedding cake, a photographer forced to attend a gay wedding, they are forced to participate.

Gay rights are here to stay, the same way they were here to stay in Mesopotamia, Greece, Egypt and Rome. Gay rights stayed until they didn't stay any more.

Public accommodation laws have nothing to do with this case. This magistrate is refusing to do his job and should either resign or be fired. Gays are allowed to legally marry in his state and he cannot refuse to do his job because of personal feelings.

1) No minister or preacher or priest or rabbi, etc. in the U.S. will or can be forced to marry anyone who doesn't meet the criteria of his or her church. Basic separation of church and state.
2) Depends on the law of the state- some states like Colorado have laws which prevent discrimination based upon sexual orientation. If the Magistrate has an issue with marrying those he doesn't approve of- it would be no different than him refusing to marry a couple who were previously divorced because the Magistrate is Catholic- or just refusing to marry Jews- his own personal religious beliefs do not trump the law.

There's no such thing as "Homosexual Marriage". And this remains a fact without regard to the pretense by the advocacy to normalize sexual abnormality, to the contrary.

Marriage is the legal analogue of coitus, wherein one male and one female join as one body... in a sustainable union designed specifically to promote the viability of the species. Homosexuality, a deviant perversion of human sexuality, is the precise opposite of that... .

No one is obligated to obey ANY law which requires them to act outside of their soundly reasoned understanding of sustainable (Moral) human behavior. All such laws fail to serve justice, thus are a clear and present threat of the means of individuals to exercise the rights endowed to them by nature and are duty bound, by the responsibilities set upon by the same natural force, to reject such laws and the individuals and groups which established such.

Simple stuff... .

1) No minister or preacher or priest or rabbi, etc. in the U.S. will or can be forced to marry anyone who doesn't meet the criteria of his or her church. Basic separation of church and state.
2) Depends on the law of the state- some states like Colorado have laws which prevent discrimination based upon sexual orientation. If the Magistrate has an issue with marrying those he doesn't approve of- it would be no different than him refusing to marry a couple who were previously divorced because the Magistrate is Catholic- or just refusing to marry Jews- his own personal religious beliefs do not trump the law.

Actually, they do... wherein the action taken by the believer does not strip or otherwise usurp from another, the means to exercise their own rights.

Refusing to marry someone does not infringe upon anyone... . It merely requires them to keep looking for someone to marry them.

See how that works?

Public accommodation laws have nothing to do with this case. This magistrate is refusing to do his job and should either resign or be fired. Gays are allowed to legally marry in his state and he cannot refuse to do his job because of personal feelings.

There's no such thing as "Gay Marriage". And homosexuals have the same rights as anyone else... none of which provide that they're empowered to force someone else to accept their perversion of human sexuality.

If you knew what right were, from where they come and what sustains them... you'd know that.

Mind your ignorance, it'll spare ya this sort of humiliation in the future.

There's no such thing as "Gay Marriage". And homosexuals have the same rights as anyone else... none of which provide that they're empowered to force someone else to accept their perversion of human sexuality.

If you knew what right were, from where they come and what sustains them... you'd know that.

Mind your ignorance, it'll spare ya this sort of humiliation in the future.

Wether you believe in gay marriage or not is irrelevant to the law. In a small way I agree with you though, there isn't gay marriage or straight marriage just marriage. You're under no obligation to accept anything. Gays are getting married and it doesn't seem to me you are being forced to accept anything.

You are of the belief that rights are bestowed upon us by God. You are free to believe that as well. I disagree with that notion. I believe our rights originate from the people themselves, not God. It is us, the people that sustain our rights. Not the government, not God, but the people.

The only folks that are being humiliated concerning this issue is you and your allies. You're not only losing on this issue in the court of public opinion, your losing in the courthouse as well. I am sure you'll get over it, for time heals all wounds.

Not the same...one is religious....cite the 1st amendment...the second is a government worker doing (or not doing) his job.

Just like if an interracial couple goes to a pastor and asks to be married, he can refuse. But if that same couple goes to a magistrate, he cannot refuse because they are asking something totally legal. Hope that helped.

A baker is not a minister of a church....a photographer is not a minister of a church. :D

Actually, they do... wherein the action taken by the believer does not strip or otherwise usurp from another, the means to exercise their own rights.

Refusing to marry someone does not infringe upon anyone... . It merely requires them to keep looking for someone to marry them.

See how that works?
So you think if I get a job as a magistrate, I can refuse marriage to a couple because they have something about them I don't like, and I can call it for religious reasons?

You mean like when Attorney Generals of States refuse to fight for their own states constitution as Jerry Brown did in California. Should he have been fired?

Forum List

Back