Homeschooling On The Rise??

I say, we get rid of teachers' unions (which do more harm than good, IMO) too. They certainly aren't designed to help the kids in any way. I do think that some unions are still necessary (like in the construction industry), but I never understood this dire need for a teachers' union.

You know, like it or not, these kids and people are part of our society. They are not going to go away.

Okay.

Do you really think some Americans believe poor children are NOT part of society? Do you really think anyone believes they will go away?

Please explain this post.

Point being, what do you suggest we do about it? Ignore the problem and it will go away? I've yet to see you make any kind of suggestions at all. You seem to just be satisfied with the status quo.

You posted a strawman argument. No one believe what you stated.

So...if one does not offer solutions, one must be satisfied with the status quo. Another strawman argument.

You know, like it or not, these kids and people are part of our society. They are not going to go away.

Okay.

Do you really think some Americans believe poor children are NOT part of society? Do you really think anyone believes they will go away?

Point being, what do you suggest we do about it? Ignore the problem and it will go away? I've yet to see you make any kind of suggestions at all. You seem to just be satisfied with the status quo.

So...if one does not offer solutions, one must be satisfied with the status quo. Another strawman argument.

No one believed what I stated about what? Schools and how the ones that are underfunded are failing the students? Okay, people can believe what they want, but that's only common sense. Lol!

Okay.

No one believed what I stated about what? Schools and how the ones that are underfunded are failing the students? Okay, people can believe what they want, but that's only common sense. Lol!

You posted the following:

Do you think some people think 'these kids and people' are NOT part of our society? Who ever claimed that they were NOT part of society? Do you have anything to support this statement?

And...did anyone ever claim they are 'going away?'

idiots raising idiots. hooray.

You've just catapulted into the idiot category.

"Drawing from 15 independent testing services, the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics included 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states who took three well-known tests—California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test for the 2007–08 academic year. The Progress Report is the most comprehensive homeschool academic study ever completed.

The Results

Overall the study showed significant advances in homeschool academic achievement as well as revealing that issues such as student gender, parents’ education level, and family income had little bearing on the results of homeschooled students.

National Average Percentile Scores
SubtestHomeschoolPublic School
Reading8950
Language8450
Math8450
Science8650
Social Studies8450
Corea8850
Compositeb8650
a. Core is a combination of Reading, Language, and Math.
b. Composite is a combination of all subtests that the student took on the test."
HSLDA New Nationwide Study Confirms Homeschool Academic Achievement

You feel stoooooopid?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
do you understand what a percentile is?
i have no doubt that home schooling works for some people, and that their children do well. although those parents with the time and resources to truly home school correctly would have the time and resources to make sure their children are doing well and receiving a good education if their children attended public schools.

my main concern is that not every parent is equipped to be a teacher. for instance, i took calculus classes in high school. my parents are smart people, with advanced degrees, but neither of them could teach me calculus. I could teach my child calculus, but I don't have sufficient skills in the language arts to teach them well.

and knowledge aside, if you're keeping your kids out of schools because you want to indoctrinate them and avoid exposing them to other ideas you're an idiot, no matter how well your child scores academically.

Yet you support the public schools that indoctrinate them.

Okay.

You posted the following:

Do you think some people think 'these kids and people' are NOT part of our society? Who ever claimed that they were NOT part of society? Do you have anything to support this statement?

And...did anyone ever claim they are 'going away?'

Well then, since you acknowledge them, now what do you suggest we do about it? Just complain and shoot down any viable suggestions that might help some kids?

I say, we get rid of teachers' unions (which do more harm than good, IMO) too. They certainly aren't designed to help the kids in any way. I do think that some unions are still necessary (like in the construction industry), but I never understood this dire need for a teachers' union.

I don't think we need to get rid of the unions, I do think we need to clamp down on them though. I live in a right to work state and I am in the union (the only reason is because they provide up to $1million coverage for a lawyer in case I get sued). Unfortunately (as I'm sure many can imagine) some parents/students will find any reason to go after the teachers and/or school. Other than that there's no real benefit for me to be in the union.

I'm a highly effective teacher (we're evaluated through many ways and given ratings)...job security isn't necessary for me. And honestly there are some teachers who shouldn't be there. I know people who just sit on facebook/netflix during class and kick their feet up on the desk.

Protecting those teachers IS a problem. BUT giving teachers like myself (and others that do a good job) is also needed.

It's a catch 22....does the union do a lot of things I don't think they should? Yes. Does paying teachers more money, giving them higher benefits, and more incentives to become/stay teachers attract higher quality teachers? Yes.

There IS a steep learning curve to teaching. It is a VERY difficult job, it's so much more than just teaching as well. 99% of people can't start teaching and be awesome at it. It takes time, and for new teachers (imo you're a "new" teacher until your 5th year), we need to allow room for learning and growth.

Like I said I think we need to change our priorities in teacher unions, but not necessarily get rid of them.

Honestly the biggest problem with the education system (at least from my experience) is from the government (state level) and not the union. I'm not suggesting that the union is without sin--believe me there are in some areas.

My point is that the unions are getting so much attention, but a lot of the focus is taken away from the politicians who haven't been in a K-12 classroom since they were 18 are calling all of the shots....and quite frankly they don't know WTF they're doing.

New Topics

Forum List

Back