Homeschool: Ban it....or Encourage it?

1. The thugs of the Occupy Wall Street turmoil had a plethora of juvenile and far-Left demands.

My personal favorite…"Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda."
Occupy Wall Street demands › 2.0: The Blogmocracy

In a related story....

2. "Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

3. "Transitioning from home school to college can be a daunting experience, especially with the lack of socialization that is associated with home schooling," says Los Angeles-based therapist Karen Hylen, who counsels people she says have not made the transition successfully.

4. But parents and students from the home-schooling community say the nontraditional method yields teens that are more independent and therefore better prepared for college life.

5. More than 2 million U.S. students in grades K-12 were home-schooled in 2010, accounting for nearly four percent of all school-aged children, according to the National Home Education Research Institute. Studies suggest that those who go on to college will outperform their peers.

6. Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers* -- 66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent -- and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009.

7. They're also better socialized than most high school students, says Joe Kelly, an author and parenting expert who home-schooled his twin daughters." I know that sounds counterintuitive because they're not around dozens or hundreds of other kids every day, ... "Many home-schoolers play on athletic teams, but they're also interactive with students of different ages."...giving them more opportunity to get out into the world and engage with adults and teens alike.

8. Home-schooled students often choose academic and social pursuits because they find them important and meaningful, and college admissions officers are drawn to that authenticity, Shaevitz says.

9. "The possibilities of showing all the kinds of things that colleges are looking for -- curiosity, confidence, resourcefulness, ability to deal with challenges -- you name it. That's a part of being a home-schooled student."

10. Rather than a hindrance, home-schooling was an asset, Orlowski says, one that landed him acceptance into 10 top-tier schools, including Princeton University, Vanderbilt University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology."
Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

I applaud your ability to become outraged by a random anonymous post on the internet that represents the view of one person (who may or may not be a troll).

:clap2:

1. The thugs of the Occupy Wall Street turmoil had a plethora of juvenile and far-Left demands.

My personal favorite…"Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda."
Occupy Wall Street demands › 2.0: The Blogmocracy

In a related story....

2. "Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

3. "Transitioning from home school to college can be a daunting experience, especially with the lack of socialization that is associated with home schooling," says Los Angeles-based therapist Karen Hylen, who counsels people she says have not made the transition successfully.

4. But parents and students from the home-schooling community say the nontraditional method yields teens that are more independent and therefore better prepared for college life.

5. More than 2 million U.S. students in grades K-12 were home-schooled in 2010, accounting for nearly four percent of all school-aged children, according to the National Home Education Research Institute. Studies suggest that those who go on to college will outperform their peers.

6. Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers* -- 66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent -- and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009.

7. They're also better socialized than most high school students, says Joe Kelly, an author and parenting expert who home-schooled his twin daughters." I know that sounds counterintuitive because they're not around dozens or hundreds of other kids every day, ... "Many home-schoolers play on athletic teams, but they're also interactive with students of different ages."...giving them more opportunity to get out into the world and engage with adults and teens alike.

8. Home-schooled students often choose academic and social pursuits because they find them important and meaningful, and college admissions officers are drawn to that authenticity, Shaevitz says.

9. "The possibilities of showing all the kinds of things that colleges are looking for -- curiosity, confidence, resourcefulness, ability to deal with challenges -- you name it. That's a part of being a home-schooled student."

10. Rather than a hindrance, home-schooling was an asset, Orlowski says, one that landed him acceptance into 10 top-tier schools, including Princeton University, Vanderbilt University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology."
Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

I applaud your ability to become outraged by a random anonymous post on the internet that represents the view of one person (who may or may not be a troll).

:clap2:

1. outraged past participle, past tense of out·rage (Verb)
Verb:
Arouse fierce anger, shock, or indignation in (someone): "he was outraged at this attempt to take his victory away from him".
Violate or infringe flagrantly (a principle, law, etc.).

Did I miss that part? Perhaps you could point it out....either that, or you might try to use language with more precision.
I do.

2. Upon re-reading the OP, I see only my presenting a view, based on a study, that homeschool kids do well in college.
Is that what you see?

3. I'm articulate enough to let it be known when I'm 'outraged.'

I don't want you to feel left out, so let me know if you require me to insert "Grrrrr" when 'outraged.'

Last edited:
Yup we absolutely need workers well versed in "Heather Has Two Mommies" and that know Malcolm X's date of birth. Fuck that Algebra and Constitution.

The Grand Canyon was created by Noah's Flood. The winning foundation for "home school".
We homeschooled for a couple of years. We didn't teach that.

Perhaps you're just being a hateful, ignorant asshole. Again.
The word you were searching for is still

I had the occasion to train and work with three young people who had been home schooled. Two from the same "school", one from a different one. I found them to be fairly intelligent and probably well enough informed but they were both utterly helpless in any kind of social setting or, for that matter, in a room with other people. All three were totally ignorant about some very common things, such as measuring cups and measuring spoons.

I felt sorry for them. And, yes, they wore their very radical religion like a shirt. Of the brother and sister, both are in their twenties now and living at home. I don't know about the other one.

Can't parents teach their kids the nutty religious stuff AND get them a real education? Even if its true that they're ready for college', they're not ready for the social pressures of college or of a job. Having those three in a work setting was very much like a 'hire the handicapped' program.

I would rather homeschool my kids than send them to the schools that educated Political Chic

Cut and Paste 101?

Still miffed that you can't keep up, huh?

Was that an independent thought?

There is hope for you yet. Your professors would be proud

Again??? You're just going to repeat??
It seems that once one reaches that certain stage of life, perseveration replaces conversation.

"There is hope for you yet."
There is startlingly little evidence that indicates the same can be said for you.

As long as the best you can do is discuss format, but not content, your opinions will continue to be relegated to the peanut gallery.

Next time the kids throw their ball into your yard....give it back.

Forum List

Back