Homeschool: Ban it....or Encourage it?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. The thugs of the Occupy Wall Street turmoil had a plethora of juvenile and far-Left demands.

My personal favorite…"Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda."
Occupy Wall Street demands › 2.0: The Blogmocracy

In a related story....

2. "Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

3. "Transitioning from home school to college can be a daunting experience, especially with the lack of socialization that is associated with home schooling," says Los Angeles-based therapist Karen Hylen, who counsels people she says have not made the transition successfully.

4. But parents and students from the home-schooling community say the nontraditional method yields teens that are more independent and therefore better prepared for college life.

5. More than 2 million U.S. students in grades K-12 were home-schooled in 2010, accounting for nearly four percent of all school-aged children, according to the National Home Education Research Institute. Studies suggest that those who go on to college will outperform their peers.

6. Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers* -- 66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent -- and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009.

7. They're also better socialized than most high school students, says Joe Kelly, an author and parenting expert who home-schooled his twin daughters." I know that sounds counterintuitive because they're not around dozens or hundreds of other kids every day, ... "Many home-schoolers play on athletic teams, but they're also interactive with students of different ages."...giving them more opportunity to get out into the world and engage with adults and teens alike.

8. Home-schooled students often choose academic and social pursuits because they find them important and meaningful, and college admissions officers are drawn to that authenticity, Shaevitz says.

9. "The possibilities of showing all the kinds of things that colleges are looking for -- curiosity, confidence, resourcefulness, ability to deal with challenges -- you name it. That's a part of being a home-schooled student."

10. Rather than a hindrance, home-schooling was an asset, Orlowski says, one that landed him acceptance into 10 top-tier schools, including Princeton University, Vanderbilt University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology."
Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

Home schooling is an overwhelming success, so naturally the alternative (PS) see's it as a threat to their very existence.

Just ask your self:
"Why Don't Public School kids win Spelling Bees?"
"Why are America's Public Schools so bad when we spend the most per student of ANY industrialized nation"?
"Why don't we just copy South Korea or Norway's winning system? (In English obviously)

It's the way the system is set up.
For every student they lose, they lose that funding.
This has to be changed.
But also the way public schools teach them. This must be changed too.

If people want to homeschool their kid they should have that option, don't see any reason to ban it.

Well....that's simple enough to explain: you're not a way-Left loony thug brought up to expect big-daddy-government to fulfill your every whim.

Now, if you were......

I mostly like the idea of Homeschooling.
My one daughter in law is considering doing this with her kids. And she would be great at it...she's a smart person, did great in school herself, she was into sports so i know she would have her kids involved in it too.

My other (ex) daughter in law tho is another story. She wants to homeschool all 8 of her kids (only 2 are from my son - which he almost has custody of now...thank God)...but she didn't even finish 9th grade herself, she wouldn't know the first thing about helping them with their homework, she doesn't have the money to get the supplies she would need or be able to get them involved in things like sports or music.

So, i don't think ALL people are cut out to do this.

I sure as hell wouldn't want TM teaching my kids anything! Lol!!

If people want to homeschool their kid they should have that option, don't see any reason to ban it.

Well....that's simple enough to explain: you're not a way-Left loony thug brought up to expect big-daddy-government to fulfill your every whim.

Now, if you were......

Some children would fare better being home schooled, if their parents can afford to do that for them, it should be allowed.

This has to be changed.

If parents do not have their kids in public school or if one does not have children then they should be refunded that portion of their tax dollars earmarked for public school funding.

This has to be changed.

If parents do not have their kids in public school or if one does not have children then they should be refunded that portion of their tax dollars earmarked for public school funding.

I agree.

why should we teach kids anything in your mind they are NOT GOOD.

What in Gods name does that even mean?:cuckoo:

It comes from something that I posted:

What is, then, the tenet that separates the Left from the Right, the Liberal from the conservative? It is simply this: by nature, is man basically good? The Leftist subscribes to the idea that a) man is by nature basically good; b) the ‘Nobel Savage’ of Rousseau; c) given the correct government and laws, society can establish Utopia here, on this Earth, and now. Based on this doctrine, pacifism is logical. As is nuclear disarmament.
a. A distinguishing characteristic of Liberals and Leftists is an aversion to recognizing or acknowledging evil and its permutations, i.e., communism. On another level, it explains the Left’s dislike for capitalism, a system which produces winners and losers, a painful fact that the Left would rather not see.
b. Pacifism is the proclivity to appease evil and ignore the sad facts of life. It is a form of wishful thinking.

I proposed that man is neither good nor bad by nature.
Ms. Truthie demands that I take the Leftist position.

why should we teach kids anything in your mind they are NOT GOOD.

What in Gods name does that even mean?:cuckoo:

It comes from something that I posted:

What is, then, the tenet that separates the Left from the Right, the Liberal from the conservative? It is simply this: by nature, is man basically good? The Leftist subscribes to the idea that a) man is by nature basically good; b) the ‘Nobel Savage’ of Rousseau; c) given the correct government and laws, society can establish Utopia here, on this Earth, and now. Based on this doctrine, pacifism is logical. As is nuclear disarmament.
a. A distinguishing characteristic of Liberals and Leftists is an aversion to recognizing or acknowledging evil and its permutations, i.e., communism. On another level, it explains the Left’s dislike for capitalism, a system which produces winners and losers, a painful fact that the Left would rather not see.
b. Pacifism is the proclivity to appease evil and ignore the sad facts of life. It is a form of wishful thinking.

I proposed that man is neither good nor bad by nature.
Ms. Truthie demands that I take the Leftist position.

Oh, I thought she was just boozing it up and posting rubbish again.

1. The thugs of the Occupy Wall Street turmoil had a plethora of juvenile and far-Left demands.

My personal favorite…"Make homeschooling illegal. Religious fanatics use it to feed their children propaganda."

In a related story....

3. "Transitioning from home school to college can be a daunting experience, especially with the lack of socialization that is associated with home schooling," says Los Angeles-based therapist Karen Hylen, who counsels people she says have not made the transition successfully.

4. But parents and students from the home-schooling community say the nontraditional method yields teens that are more independent and therefore better prepared for college life.

5. More than 2 million U.S. students in grades K-12 were home-schooled in 2010, accounting for nearly four percent of all school-aged children, according to the National Home Education Research Institute. Studies suggest that those who go on to college will outperform their peers.

6. Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers* -- 66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent -- and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009.

7. They're also better socialized than most high school students, says Joe Kelly, an author and parenting expert who home-schooled his twin daughters." I know that sounds counterintuitive because they're not around dozens or hundreds of other kids every day, ... "Many home-schoolers play on athletic teams, but they're also interactive with students of different ages."...giving them more opportunity to get out into the world and engage with adults and teens alike.

8. Home-schooled students often choose academic and social pursuits because they find them important and meaningful, and college admissions officers are drawn to that authenticity, Shaevitz says.

9. "The possibilities of showing all the kinds of things that colleges are looking for -- curiosity, confidence, resourcefulness, ability to deal with challenges -- you name it. That's a part of being a home-schooled student."

10. Rather than a hindrance, home-schooling was an asset, Orlowski says, one that landed him acceptance into 10 top-tier schools, including Princeton University, Vanderbilt University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology."

I wonder. Are the Chinese, Japanese, South Asians, Russians, Eastern Europeans, etc. teaching their kids at home? Or is this a unique behavior of a subset of Americans and the upperclass English?

In a related story....

I wonder. Are the Chinese, Japanese, South Asians, Russians, Eastern Europeans, etc. teaching their kids at home? Or is this a unique behavior of a subset of Americans and the upperclass English?

I don't know in some countries you are not allowed to home school your kids they have to go to government run schools, I know in Kuwait its like that.

"Why don't we just copy South Korea or Norway's winning system? (In English obviously)

LOL. The whiny "kids have too much homework!" and "standardized tests are bad!" types wouldn't like that Korea's system at all (of course, neither do many Koreans, but that's another story).

In a related story....

I don't know in some countries you are not allowed to home school your kids they have to go to government run schools, I know in Kuwait its like that.

"Homeschooling is legal in many countries. Countries with the most prevalent home education movements include Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Some countries have highly regulated home education programs as an extension of the compulsory school system; others, such as Germany,[1] have outlawed it entirely. Brazil has a law project in process. In other countries, while not restricted by law, homeschooling is not socially acceptable or considered undesirable and is virtually non-existent."
Homeschooling international status and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back