Homeowner Told To Take Down Nativity From Lawn

Bullypulpit said:
It's bullshit, but that's what happens when you move into a neighborhood with a homeowners association.

Yes but the fact that they had displayed this at the same house in the previous years leads me to believe that this is more then just a power struggle. Someone has an axe to grind here.

Bonnie said:
Apparently Hannity is now taking up their cause as the fmaily was on his show last night.

What cause? The wrong has been righted... they can keep their display up. There's no longer a "cause" for this family.

The ClayTaurus said:
What cause? The wrong has been righted... they can keep their display up. There's no longer a "cause" for this family.

Oh come now ...... ne'er the protest from you when the lefties are sensationalizing ......... ;)

GunnyL said:
Oh come now ...... ne'er the protest from you when the lefties are sensationalizing ......... ;)
Mainly because you all do a wonderful job of that here. Perhaps I should pile on more often to improve the perception of my objectiveness amongst all of you... good point though; *retreats* Sensationalize away :)

The ClayTaurus said:
Mainly because you all do a wonderful job of that here. Perhaps I should pile on more often to improve the perception of my objectiveness amongst all of you... good point though; *retreats* Sensationalize away :)

I really don't need to sensationalize. I happen to agree with you. The specific issue has been resloved.

However, as it relates to the far larger and all-encompassing issue of Christmas under attack, it is far from resolved, and I am sure that is where Hannity is trying to take it.

I'm sick of people walking around with a chip on their shoulders looking for excuses to be offended. Christmas is Christmas, and attempting to paint it otherwise is just plain-old BULL.

GunnyL said:
I really don't need to sensationalize. I happen to agree with you. The specific issue has been resloved.

However, as it relates to the far larger and all-encompassing issue of Christmas under attack, it is far from resolved, and I am sure that is where Hannity is trying to take it.

I'm sick of people walking around with a chip on their shoulders looking for excuses to be offended. Christmas is Christmas, and attempting to paint it otherwise is just plain-old BULL.
:beer:

The ClayTaurus said:

At the time his show aired it remained unresolved..

So, as it turns out, this house is in the same neighborhood that my girlfriend's parents own a house. I didn't even notice it until my girlfriend commented as we passed it: "apparently this house has been involved in quite the controversy over their lights." She didn't know what the story was, but after I explained it to her she didn't understand what the fuss was about.

I would have taken a picture, but didn't have my camera on me. I can tell you the display is still up, with more plastic lighted figures on the lawn, and is hardly offensive. In fact, it isn't even close to being as ornate as many other houses in my hometown area.

I can also tell you that the particular neighborhood is less than 2-3 years old, so the neighborhood association is in it's infancy, and might explain their mistake here. As Arch loves to say, "they lack experience!"

The ClayTaurus said:
There is an easy solution to this. They submit for approval their display, the neighborhood association, fearful of backlash, approves it, and now they're display is completely legit.

I would NEVER submit something like that for approval from anyone. I would tell them to go fuck a dolphin.

The ClayTaurus said:
As I said, in this case, these rules are being improperly used by some idiot.

But, in neighborhoods such as these, you don't have the right to put whatever you want up in your yard. When you move in, you sign to these neighborhood association rules. You might not look at them through all the other paperwork you're signing, but you do sign them. They also serve to prohibit door to door solicitation and other such community improvement things.

The rules are designed to keep the appearance of the neighborhood at a high level... in this case, they are being bastardized to promote someone's whacked worldview (or they were, until the subdivision retracted their threat).

I would be willing to bet that you could challenge the legality of forcing someone to sign that document if they want to buy the property.

LuvRPgrl said:
I would be willing to bet that you could challenge the legality of forcing someone to sign that document if they want to buy the property.
You can challenge anything in this country. No one is forcing you to live in a subdivision with maintained common areas, landscaping, snow removal, etc. There are upsides and downsides to a homeowner's association.

Mr. P said:
Nope, cuz then they wouldn't be doing the job they were obligated to do,
enforce the "rules".

But not to allow others to overstep their boundries.

Enforcing the rules also includes protecting some from frivilous complaints.

The ClayTaurus said:
You can challenge anything in this country. No one is forcing you to live in a subdivision with maintained common areas, landscaping, snow removal, etc. There are upsides and downsides to a homeowner's association.

While finishing the thread, I Noticed someone else posted my idea but in a more meaningful way. I think the contract has unconstitutional provisions. So, the dolphin idea stands. :)

Forum List

Back