Homemade tomatoe sauce

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
saute: a big onion diced, 2- diced stalks of celery, 1-2 carrots diced, cook in olive oil

squash a big clove of garlic and add to the veggies above and remove once the veggies are soft.

Add a small can of tomato paste to the veggies and cook together until you can smell the tomato paste.

brown: ground beef, big 1-2 inch chunks of sirloin 2 lbs, 1-2 inch chunks of pork 1-2 lbs, and a pkg of Italian hot sausage....

make meatballs from ground beef and ground pork, parsley, parmigiana reggiano cheese grated, an egg and bread crumbs, mix well, form in to balls and brown them on all sides. (if you are fond of garlic, take the saute garlic that you took out of the veggies and mince and add to the meatball mixture.

add all the different meats to the tomato paste and veggies and stir.

Add: canned plum whole tomatoes and break them apart, 4 big cans and another can or two of diced tomatoes or tomato puree.

Stir, add a cup of water.... cook for 3 hours, on low, stirring frequently.

all i can say is yummy!

I think she meant homemade spaghetti sauce.
It sounds good. My spaghetti has morphed over the years. I used to put everything in it and would cook it for hours. It had onion, garlic, olives, green peppers, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, wine, olive oil, parmesan mushrooms, cheese, basil, oregano, lots of black pepper...and Italian sausage.

But I have two kids who don't like green pepper. They really don't like it, they can't eat anything that tastes like it, and they can always taste it. And I have one daughter in law who doesn't like olives, one who can't handle mushrooms, and my daughter doesn't like onions. Again, she can taste them no matter how well hidden they are. She might not identify them, but she won't eat whatever they're in. (She's good at smelling onions, too, strange).

So I started making really basic spaghetti sauce. Sauce, meat, parmesan, garlic, italian seasoning. Well nobody liked that either, including me.

So I'm back somewhere in the middle. It has to have onions, and my daughter has gotten to where she's okay with that (but she's not wild about spaghetti, and that's probably why). I like olives and mushrooms; I'll leave one or the other out but not both.

So I've pretty much quit making it for the whole crew. My new thing for us at home now is BAKED spaghetti; you just put any old thing in the sauce, then layer sauce, noodles, sauce, noodles, sauce, dump a bunch of cheese on and bake the crap out of it. It's not as messy as regular spaghetti, it's easy to serve, and you can freeze what isn't eaten. Cool.

If you want a healthier, low carb way to serve it try spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
Quarter the squash, dig out the seeds and boil the quarters in a large stock pot for 17 minutes, immediately drain and refill pot with cold water to stop the cooking process. Let cool then take a fork and scrape out the "spaghetti" strands and drain in a colander. Has a slight nutty flavor.
I also toss it with steamed veggies, chicken, olive oil/butter/garlic, Italian seasoning and Parmesan.

Forum List

Back